Glock 22 vs Glock 23 for Concealed Carry. Urgent help!!!

This is a discussion on Glock 22 vs Glock 23 for Concealed Carry. Urgent help!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I am contemplating getting either a Glock 22 or Glock 23 for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 22 vs Glock 23 for Concealed Carry. Urgent help!!!

Glock 22 vs Glock 23 for Concealed Carry. Urgent help!!!

Hello All, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I am contemplating getting either a Glock 22 or Glock 23 for concealed carry but I am facing a dilemma. I recently went to the range to try both pistols out and realized that I shot the G22 much better than the G23 and preferred the recoil of the G22 a lot better as well. However, I know that the G23 is a bit smaller; roughly 1/2 inch in length and grip which would make it a little easier to conceal carry. So what do I do seeing that I am more comfortable shooting the G22? By the way I'm 6ft tall and weight 170 lbs. I want to know if it would be possible for me to conceal the G22 in an IWB holster (possibly MTAC or Supertuck) without much problem? Is the minimal size difference between the G22 and G23 that big of a deal or does it make a big difference when concealing? Also, the G27 is out of the picture because I dont like the grip nor the capacity. Please I need some good advice because I posted this question on another forum and I basically got feedback based on people's personal preference and my questions wernt really answered. I just want to know that given my height and weight; will I be able to conceal a G22 or not because I know there are many people out there that conceal G22's and bigger. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Howdy sosick.

I do hope you get better soon.

While I tend to favor duty size handguns for the primary weapon that size limit for me tends to stop at the Hi Power, Glock 19 or 5" 1911 size limit for autoloaders.

What I'm trying to say is, the fat butt of the doublestack autoloader is the hardest part to hide. I have one Glock and it's a 19. I have used a 17 and a 34, but do not find they lend themselves well to daily concealed carry. The Glock 19 is similar in size to the Hi Power, and I find this is about the most comfortable size to carry daily while still being big enough to carry on duty.

Maybe a Glock 22 slide with a 23 frame would be a good combination? The barrel/slide, in my expirience, is not the hard part to hide. I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you, as this is a decision you will have to make on your own. Next year I will probably buy a Glock 23 and a 27 for an off duty combo, but we will have to wait and see. I love my Hi Power and while the call for a newer design .40 S&W is strong I don't believe I will shoot it as well as the old P35 design.

You may want to give serious consideration to the new Sig P250. It has the polymer frame and you can mix and match. Thus, the longer slide with the more compact frame.

Take care and stay safe,

Biker

With the exception of the G24, I have owned at least one of each .40 caliber GLOCK. I never conceal, so I can't help you there, but I can agree that the larger the GLOCK, the better they are to shoot.

I started with a G27, but never carried it much. That is one snappy little fo-tay! Next I bought a G23, and carried it openly for years. Not as snappy as the G23, and the larger grip really helped.

Bought a G22 for fun and only carried it a few times, but it is much more manageable at the range. Then I scored my G35, you can drive tacks with this bad boy! It has become my new daily carry.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Welcome to the forum! I just traded a G22 for a G23 myself. Oh...., I could carry the G22 okay IWB in the same kydex holster I do my G17, G19, G23, and G27, but the extra slide length pretty much tore me up around the hip. My former G22 was pretty much a winter time OWB venue for that reason alone. IMO, you'll have to work harder on concealing the G22 for sure, and then figure the added grip length. There are a few things I'd recommend in trying to hit better with the shorter G23. If you are trying it with stock sights, try it with night sights which may be a bit taller. Then, try a G23 with an 8lb connector. Experiment with your hold and where your finger is on the trigger. Good luck deciding, and you can't go wrong either way. Might just go with the G22 then trade it some day like I did.

If you want a full size gun that's light and easy to conceal, with soft recoil and excellent capacity, get yourself a Smith & Wesson M&P 40. If you want something REALLY easy to conceal, get the M&P 40 compact model. The rounded contours of the M&P conceal much easier under a light shirt than the blocky profile of the Glock. Recoil is softer than a Glock. The grip is WAY more ergonomic than a Glock, for most people. It is rounded like a pistol should be, not squared off. The trigger reach is shorter. It comes with 3 different sized backstraps to adjust to your particular hand size.

I am issued a Glock 22 for duty use. It sits in the nightstand unless I'm in uniform. An M&P goes everywhere with me in plainclothes or off-duty. I'd carry the M&P in a heartbeat on duty, if they'd let me...but the G22 is mandatory. It's not a BAD weapon, of course. Just not my preference.

You owe it to yourself to try an M&P. The recoil impulse is much nicer than the Glock IMHO. I enjoy shooting the compact M&P more than the G22, due to the excellent way the M&P manages recoil.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum! You probably just need to shoot the G23 more to get used to the difference in size and recoil. On first impression, the larger gun will always seem to shoot better than the smaller one, but we are talking about the ease of carrying the gun. The G23 will definitely be easier to conceal. I carry a G19 in an MTAC and don't really find it hard to conceal. Alot depends on how you dress. A good gun belt and holster and you will find the G23 fairly easy to carry.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

kpw
    I carried a G22 for 6 years. It's doable with the right gear. I went to a G27 for about 8 years after that. The last 3 years or so, I've carried a G19. The 19/23 size is just about perfect for everyday carry.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'd carry the G22 in a C-TAC. But that's something I could get away with. Carry the biggest gun you can hide.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Welcome to the forum. Im about 6'2" and about 230. I carry a 23 and have no problem concealing it in a supertuck. I dont think i would want anything bigger. How much better can you shoot the 22? Are we talking combat accuracy or are you wanting to drive tacks. You may get better the more you shoot the 23. Is there any way you could try both on and walk around or look in the mirror?

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Since you shoot the model 22 better than you do the 23 I'd go with it. With a quality rig (holster and belt) concealing it shouldn't be a problem. The dimensions of the 22 are about the same as my CZ75 P-06 and I carry it IWB with no problem at all.

My best advice to you is to carry that with which you are most comfortable and most accurate. There are a number of fine holsters that will take care of any concealment issues you run into.Both handguns are fine choices.
    My child is a Honor Student at Camp Polk Correctional Facility.

both are great guns and either would be a good choice, but IMO the G22 is just too big for every day carry.i prefer the smaller G23,just because it's easier to conceal..in time,you'll shoot it just as good as the G22.you might also want to give some concideration to the sub-compact G27 40cal. even better for concealment..

I carry the G22 in OWB and find it not hard to conceal.

I do alot of OC to CC to OC depending on where I'm going.

I like to 15+1 cap of the G22.

Never tried IWB so not sure how that would go, but I figure if you can CC in OWB then IWB shouldn't be that much harder if not the same.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

can you conceal the 22, probably, but i think the 23 would be easier to bring into your routine.

if you find the 22 more difficult to conceal chances are youll find excuses not to carry or carry in such ways that youll try so hard not to print youll end up printing with body language.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    HOW you plan to conceal is the big question? What's your daily clothing style (business casual, sweatpants, etc...)

I traded in my G22 for a G27 that I use daily because my daily routine wouldn't allow for conceal of the G22. Besides, when you start carrying every day, lighter/smaller is a huge component toward comfort. I have to wear business casual during the day so I use a tuckable IWB holster and 22 would print too much.

On the weekends, I wear cowboy boots, jeans, and tucked in shirts again so the G22 was too big.

My next holster will be a Smartcarry. I wonder if anyone has tried a G22 in a Smartcarry but it sounds like a lot of gun on the crotch.

Your concern about capacity on the G27 - the Glock mags are interchangable.

Accuracy - you said you shot the G22 better. What is "better"? If you are saying you held a group 1" tighter on paper with the G22, it'll be a whole different scenario in a personal defense situation. And whatever gun you buy, hopefully you'll be practicing a lot more anyway. Perfect practice makes perfect.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links