Travel question

This is a discussion on Travel question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey yall have a quick question for anyone very familiar with south eastern rules and regulations. I am driving from FL to NC, passing through ...

Thread: Travel question

Travel question

Hey yall have a quick question for anyone very familiar with south eastern rules and regulations.

I am driving from FL to NC, passing through obviously GA and SC, both of which we will not be stopping in (except for gas)

for all 3 states, if i have my firearm holstered but loaded in a laptop bag (by my feet) is this legit if i am to get pulled over? from what i can see on handgunlaw.us this is fine, but just wanted to make sure.

For NC i see the FL permit is allowed for carry, we will be out in the boonies most of the time, except when drinking in asheville (which yes i know is a no no for carry) but like florida, the allowed areas of carry are pretty much the same?

thanks for the help guys!

2. Remove Ads

You checked the right source. Your permit is valid in those states. However, understand that they might have different laws. Read the info on the other states as far as whether you must inform LEO on official contact, where you can and can't carry, what signs are legal, etc.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    NC MUST INFORM if approached by LEO in any official capacity.

NC Bullseye posted the cheat sheet for North Carolina here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...460-post5.html
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

ok thanks guys

wait, NC is open carry? >:]

we will be in the mountains most of the time, only really coming into the city to go to asheville to drink, so we wont be carrying for that time, mostly concerned for the drive in case we get pulled over.

If you have a CWP with reciprocity in SC and NC, you may carry on your body. If not, in SC, the gun must be in a closed compartment that is part of the vehicle, i.e., glove compartment, door compartment, console, etc. In NC, the gun must be openly displayed, usually on the dashboard or in the seat beside you. In SC, if asked for identification, like a traffic stop, you MUST present your CWP and inform the officer you are armed. Dunno about NC.

NC is open carry "except to the terror of the people." This means if your gun frightens someone, and they call the LEOs, you may be required to remove or cover your weapon, or leave the premises.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Yep, you can OC here, except in a few towns. Check opencarry.org for all the details.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmash View Post
    ok thanks guys

wait, NC is open carry? >:]

we will be in the mountains most of the time, only really coming into the city to go to asheville to drink, so we wont be carrying for that time, mostly concerned for the drive in case we get pulled over.

Let me splain'.....you really don't have to ask that question. If ya been drinkin' and are in a vehicle....And you have a weapon on ya, you MAY have a big problem no matter WHAT state your in.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Let me splain'.....you really don't have to ask that question. If ya been drinkin' and are in a vehicle....And you have a weapon on ya, you MAY have a big problem no matter WHAT state your in.
    yea i understand that, i wasn't sayin i planned to have my FA in my car while that was happening, actually the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    If you have a CWP with reciprocity in SC and NC, you may carry on your body. If not, in SC, the gun must be in a closed compartment that is part of the vehicle, i.e., glove compartment, door compartment, console, etc. In NC, the gun must be openly displayed, usually on the dashboard or in the seat beside you. In SC, if asked for identification, like a traffic stop, you MUST present your CWP and inform the officer you are armed. Dunno about NC.

NC is open carry "except to the terror of the people." This means if your gun frightens someone, and they call the LEOs, you may be required to remove or cover your weapon, or leave the premises.
    normally i carry in a napsack when in another persons car...so glove box or bust?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmash View Post
    For NC i see the FL permit is allowed for carry, we will be out in the boonies most of the time, except when drinking in asheville (which yes i know is a no no for carry) but like florida, the allowed areas of carry are pretty much the same?

thanks for the help guys!

What? Umm.... please leave your gun at home if you intend to drink and drive. Or just stay in the "boonies". Otherwise some nice NC guy named Bubba is libel to make your trip more memorable (and not in a good way) when you are locked up in the clink. Unless by chance you didn't cringe watching the movie Deliverance.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post

What? Umm.... please leave your gun at home if you intend to drink and drive. Or just stay in the "boonies". Otherwise some nice NC guy named Bubba is libel to make your trip more memorable (and not in a good way) when you are locked up in the clink. Unless by chance you didn't cringe watching the movie Deliverance.

*sigh* what i was trying to say was that, we will go drinking, 1 of my friends is the DD, it wont be me.

and dont remind me of deliverance, im going right up to that part basically!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    in SC Must inform when stopped and gun must be in a compartment with a latch that can lock and it can be loaded.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    in SC Must inform when stopped and gun must be in a compartment with a latch that can lock and it can be loaded.
    The compartment does not have to lock or latch just close. I don't think you are required to inform unless you are carrying other than in the console glove compartment or trunk with a valid permit.
    9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance;

Links