Hey Montanans Or Montuckians

This is a discussion on Hey Montanans Or Montuckians within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received an answer back from the Montana Dept of Justice re: two open carry questions I had. I don't know if you know ...

I just received an answer back from the Montana Dept of Justice re: two open carry questions I had. I don't know if you know this or not, but I will pass it along.
    In regards to Concealed Weapons - MT Dept of Justice

I have read this page and it has brought up some questions asked on some online forums. I want to know what the law is in order to remain legal.

1. I know that concealed carry if forbidden in a restaurant that serves alcohol, which is pretty much every one except fast food. Am I legally allowed to open carry into an alcohol serving restaurant? I don't go to bars. I would like to retain my security if I am at dinner with my wife or family.

2. It is forbidden to concealed carry in a financial institution, is it legal to openly carry a handgun, say in my bank? I realize that this may cause someone at a bank to feel threatened or possibly feel they are about to get robbed, so I doubt I would ever risk it.

This is all for now, thanks in advance. If there are statutes allowing or forbidding, could you please attach or list them for me?

Thank you,
    And the answer I got today:

There is no state law that specifically addresses the situations you’ve described. Private businesses such as banks and restaurants may, however, prohibit weapons on their premises, and most do.
    Just an FYI
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

I think as crime rates continue the current trend that we'll start seeing more and more flexibility (gray area) on where carry is limited.

Isn't it interesting that the law covers CCW, which you paid for, but does not cover open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    I think as crime rates continue the current trend that we'll start seeing more and more flexibility (gray area) on where carry is limited.

Isn't it interesting that the law covers CCW, which you paid for, but does not cover open carry?
    Yeah, I still haven't figured that one out.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

There is no state law that specifically addresses the situations you’ve described.
    What is not prohibited by law is, therefore, legal in the United States.

Links