calling all IL residents with Out of State permits

This is a discussion on calling all IL residents with Out of State permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thankfully with all the info from this forum and Illinoiscarry.com forum I've gotten my PA out of state permit. I've read alot about IL residents ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calling all IL residents with Out of State permits

calling all IL residents with Out of State permits

Thankfully with all the info from this forum and Illinoiscarry.com forum I've gotten my PA out of state permit.

I've read alot about IL residents that take their original permit from PA (like a 3''x2'' paper) and don't sign it, copy it in a copier and reduce it's size by 60% and then sign the copy and laminate it and carry that copy only. Well I have done that and made several copies. I have read that it is valid and you do not need to carry the original. Just wondering any thoughts on this? Carry the copy vs. carry the original folded over with the info on the outside and laminate it and carry it?

The reason I'm wanting to clarify is next week I leave for vacation me and my girlfriend and we will be traveling to Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. So we're really looking forward to it. Especially me...because it'll be the first time I can carry my G27 in my new MTAC holster (I'm pumped ).

So my next question is I'm trying to get some first hand information/experience from anyone that is an Illinois resident that has had a LEO encounter with a out of state Utah/PA/FL permit?

I've read through all the Missouri concealed carry statues and am going to print out a copy of them and bring them with me as well. I'm just torn on taking my original copy of my permit or take the copy of it that I've reduced down to size so it can fit in my wallet.

Thanks in advance as always for your guidance/opinions.

-Chris
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I'd take the original, that is my opinion, just to avoid any grief and ruin the vacation plans.

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    I'd take the original, that is my opinion, just to avoid any grief and ruin the vacation plans.
    Do you think i should just fold it in half and laminate it? It's just so awkwardly sized.

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I laminate all mine full size then just fold em up from there, including my non res PA permit.
    Utah is nice they give on credit card size and plastic.
    NY gives me one for each pistol, and that is just a nightmare for me.
    It's getting crazy enough I'll need a second wallet just for permits heh.

Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post
    Do you think i should just fold it in half and laminate it? It's just so awkwardly sized.
    Absolutely NOT!! . Once it is laminated it cannot be taken out without destroying it.

I would, and plan on, doing just as you stated about reducing it and laminating the COPY only. I will keep the original in my van or home.

All the LEO will need to see is the CCW registration number. Any questions, they will contact PA.

P.S. thanks for letting me know what reduction to use - I was going to have to trial and error it.

Lamination

Do NOT laminate original. Many states isse already laminated but u should not have it done on your own.

Have laminated copywith you.

Some states not want laminated. Not accept laminated as alterations covered by laminations possible and also they not scan well.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

I just received PA permit last week and was also perplexed by the size. What I'm planning on is finding those wallet picture holder and using one to hold the permit. That way it is protected but not altered.

Steve

Ok so I sent a email to Sherrif Nau and this is what he replied:

"Hi Chris - fold the license so all data is visible and then laminate.

Hope this helps.

Sheriff Denny Nau"

I guess i'm just paranoid about the situation of a LEO asking to see it and I show him this laminated copy of the permit and he/she goes well this isn't the original...this won't work..... I think might just bring the original put it somewhere "safe" and carry the copy in my wallet.

Like vn6869 said... they're going to be looking at the PA CWP Registration number...just didn't want to get into a hairy situation.

Thanks everyone for the replies

NRA Member/Supporter

Ok so I sent a email to Sherrif Nau and this is what he replied:
    That is the best idea. Although there is a lot of knowledgeable people here, the issuing department is the best source for information.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    That is the best idea. Although there is a lot of knowledgeable people here, the issuing department is the best source for information.
    Thanks tbmccord. I think I'm gonna get one of those wallet picture holders and put it in there and then slap it in the wallet. See how that goes.

Now I gotta get this MTAC holster just right!

NRA Member/Supporter

What does the the PA license do that florida/utah licenses dont? As an IL resident, I was told the FL/UT permits were the best we could do for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    What does the the PA license do that florida/utah licenses dont? As an IL resident, I was told the FL/UT permits were the best we could do for the time being.
    the PA permit doesn't get you anything extra (reciprocity wise compared to the UT/FL permits). The reason it's so popular is most likely because when you apply for it, it only takes 5-7 days to get typically and you don't have to take a CHL class.

I'm still going to send in for a FL permit, but it'll be Christmas (hopefully) before i get it.

NRA Member/Supporter

After this trip, I'd get a Utah(or other such state) permit that fits properly in a wallet credit card type slot so you never have to worry about this.

I'm in IL and I'm waiting for my FL and Utah permits. ;)

*edit*
    Wow really only 5-7 days for PA? How much does it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by RXtion View Post
    After this trip, I'd get a Utah(or other such state) permit that fits properly in a wallet credit card type slot so you never have to worry about this.

I'm in IL and I'm waiting for my FL and Utah permits. ;)

*edit*
    Wow really only 5-7 days for PA? How much does it cost?
    I'll definitely be getting a FL one some time this century.

But as far as the PA permit. Yea it was super quick, only $26 bucks and Sheriff Nau is awesome, answers any emails asap, just a really top notch guy can't say enough good things about him and his operation.

NRA Member/Supporter

One of the instructors here in Mo that guided me to the PA permit, informed me that the reduced size photocopy was acceptable per the Centre County Sheriff's Department.

The rationale on that issue is that their permit is carbon copy paper and could result in someone stealing the information should they get hold of the original. Protect yourself at all costs.

You could keep the original with your baggage, but I wouldn't carry the original myself. When all else fails, write the MOHP headquarters or MOAG Office for a decision. The MOAG would be the best bet for a decision. You'll also want to contact the issuing authority on the PA permit to get dual-state confirmation in the event that MO says "no" and PA says "yes". Issuing State takes precedence.

Simply explain who you are, what State you're from, the nature of the issue, your concern about damage/loss/theft of the original, and ask for clarification if Missouri will accept the reduced size copy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links