Good 2nd Amendment News!

This is a discussion on Good 2nd Amendment News! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JohnD13 Coming from New York, it's no surprise that both senators voted for Sotomayor's comfirmation. I guess Gillibrand has lost her NRA ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good 2nd Amendment News!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    Coming from New York, it's no surprise that both senators voted for Sotomayor's comfirmation. I guess Gillibrand has lost her NRA A rating.
    She turned anti-gun as soon as she was selected as the Senate replacement for Clinton - probably a condition of the deal.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    I am embarrased to live in Florida with both senators voting yes, including Republican Martinez. I know how I'll be voting next fall.
    Martinez is not running for reelection. In fact, he's stepping down early as carry ok says.
    At least my KY senators voted nay. Bunning is not running for reelection, but the only real race will be the Republican primary. We got a country boy running against a city slicker for the nomination. Whoever wins is odd's on favorite over any Democrat.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

Did I see Kennedy listed as a Nay? Can't be right!

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Did I see Kennedy listed as a Nay? Can't be right!
    No, he is listed as not voting.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    It pays to remember that with the democrats holding a majority in both houses and the white house sometimes compromises have to be made.

Consider this scenario;

Suppose the confirmation had been rejected, be it for her gun ownership views, or some other "Cause". The republicans need to be looking ahead at the next person in line. It's possible the next nominee might be even more anti gun but more moderate in a different subject, say abortion or gay rights or whatever else scare the hell out of conservatives these days.

Maybe they decided to take the lesser of two evils.
    This is EXACTLY the argument Hamilton made in Federalist 76. The NRA should reserve their resources to lobby STATE legislatures. The Federal government is prohibited from infringing on the right to keep and bear arms. This is one reason I do not support the NRA.

Excerpt from Federalist 76:

But might not his nomination be overruled? I grant it might, yet this could only be to make place for another nomination by himself. The person ultimately appointed must be the object of his preference, though perhaps not in the first degree. It is also not very probable that his nomination would often be overruled. The Senate could not be tempted, by the preference they might feel to another, to reject the one proposed; because they could not assure themselves, that the person they might wish would be brought forward by a second or by any subsequent nomination. They could not even be certain, that a future nomination would present a candidate in any degree more acceptable to them; and as their dissent might cast a kind of stigma upon the individual rejected, and might have the appearance of a reflection upon the judgment of the chief magistrate, it is not likely that their sanction would often be refused, where there were not special and strong reasons for the refusal.

Quote Originally Posted by Geds View Post
    Same here in Missouri, I am also ashamed that both my senators sold my vote.
    +1 Bond is a lame duck, what's he care.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    The NRA should reserve their resources to lobby STATE legislatures. The Federal government is prohibited from infringing on the right to keep and bear arms. This is one reason I do not support the NRA.
    The Fed Gov't may be prohibited, but that hasn't stopped them, now has it?

NRA Supporter!

I heard a disturbing argument today. I won't name names, but this person is a very powerful supporter of Sottomayor. I mentioned to this person that Sonia Sottomayor didn't give a definite answer when asked the question about whether she supported one's right to bear arms. The reason, according to this person, was that the Bill of Rights was an outdated document from 1791 and the 2nd amendment was necessary back then to defend ourselves against the British. According to the new age, the 2nd amendment wasn't needed anymore.

Is this new Government going to alter the Bill of Rights that was written by our founding fathers?
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    I am embarrased to live in Florida with both senators voting yes, including Republican Martinez. I know how I'll be voting next fall.
    Well he just stepped down, thank god, I emailed him about the customs and boarder patrol knife grab and he supported it. eeek for the greater good lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links