Good 2nd Amendment News!

This is a discussion on Good 2nd Amendment News! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am TOTALLY against Sotomayor, but he is some good that has come out of it!! EDITORIAL: Gun control on a roll? - Washington Times ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good 2nd Amendment News!

Good 2nd Amendment News!

I am TOTALLY against Sotomayor, but he is some good that has come out of it!!
    EDITORIAL: Gun control on a roll? - Washington Times

EDITORIAL: Gun control on a roll?
    Americans are clinging to their arms more than ever

The Senate confirmed Judge Sonia Sotomayor for the Supreme Court yesterday. Gun-control groups are crowing that the 68-31 vote was a major defeat for the National Rifle Association, which actively opposed the nomination. The gun controllers are reading too much into this vote.

The NRA scored Judge Sotomayor's confirmation and ran ads to defeat her, but the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence counted eight NRA-endorsed senators who spurned the powerful gun-rights group to support her nomination. Some Democratic senators, such as Virginia's Mark R. Warner, even took to lecturing the NRA about being hijacked by extremists.

The Sotomayor vote and the successful filibuster of state reciprocity for right-to-carry laws are being hailed as gun-control victories. The two votes supposedly show that politicians "can vote against the NRA and still win, and win in gun-friendly areas," as Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign, phrased it.

But a new Zogby poll suggests that things are a little more complicated. Zogby found that 52 percent of American voters would be against the re-election of any senator simply because he supports confirming a Supreme Court nominee "who does not believe in the right to keep and bear arms." Just 26 percent would support that senator. Mr. Helmke is right to believe that Judge Sotomayor is against gun ownership, and the Supreme Court is closely divided on the issue. What the poll tells us is that senators who voted for her should worry when their constituents find out about it.

The polls on concealed handguns confirm the pro-gun attitudes of most Americans. Eighty-three percent support letting citizens carry concealed handguns; only 11 percent oppose it. Even among Democratic voters, the support is extremely high: Eighty percent of those who voted for Barack Obama for president support the right to carry a handgun. This reality is not just what voters tell pollsters. People are now packing heat in record numbers, according to USA Today.

The positive results in the 39 states with right-to-carry laws have made a big difference in the popularity of the concealed-carry movement. The pro-gun views of the public suggest that the reciprocity bill for right-to-carry laws -- which was shot down on July 22 -- will be brought up again. The 58-39 majority in the Senate in favor of reciprocity was just two votes short of overcoming a Democratic filibuster. The NRA will have a chance to reload soon enough.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

interesting article. I think most people will remember how their senators voted, especially when it comes "voting" time. I know I will.

Good read thanks for posting.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Warner has been getting more and more Anti-RKBA, IMHO.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post
    interesting article. I think most people will remember how their senators voted, especially when it comes "voting" time. I know I will.

I know i remember........
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Will I remember? You betcha'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senators' voting record, on the Sotomayor confirmation: click.

By vote (yea, nay):

YEAs ---68

Akaka (D-HI)
    Alexander (R-TN)
    Baucus (D-MT)
    Bayh (D-IN)
    Begich (D-AK)
    Bennet (D-CO)
    Bingaman (D-NM)
    Bond (R-MO)
    Boxer (D-CA)
    Brown (D-OH)
    Burris (D-IL)
    Byrd (D-WV)
    Cantwell (D-WA)
    Cardin (D-MD)
    Carper (D-DE)
    Casey (D-PA)
    Collins (R-ME)
    Conrad (D-ND)
    Dodd (D-CT)
    Dorgan (D-ND)
    Durbin (D-IL)
    Feingold (D-WI)
    Feinstein (D-CA)
    Franken (D-MN)
    Gillibrand (D-NY)
    Graham (R-SC)
    Gregg (R-NH)
    Hagan (D-NC)
    Harkin (D-IA)
    Inouye (D-HI)
    Johnson (D-SD)
    Kaufman (D-DE)
    Kerry (D-MA)
    Klobuchar (D-MN)
    Kohl (D-WI)
    Landrieu (D-LA)
    Lautenberg (D-NJ)
    Leahy (D-VT)
    Levin (D-MI)
    Lieberman (ID-CT)
    Lincoln (D-AR)
    Lugar (R-IN)
    Martinez (R-FL)
    McCaskill (D-MO)
    Menendez (D-NJ)
    Merkley (D-OR)
    Mikulski (D-MD)
    Murray (D-WA)
    Nelson (D-FL)
    Nelson (D-NE)
    Pryor (D-AR)
    Reed (D-RI)
    Reid (D-NV)
    Rockefeller (D-WV)
    Sanders (I-VT)
    Schumer (D-NY)
    Shaheen (D-NH)
    Snowe (R-ME)
    Specter (D-PA)
    Stabenow (D-MI)
    tester (D-MT)
    Udall (D-CO)
    Udall (D-NM)
    Voinovich (R-OH)
    Warner (D-VA)
    Webb (D-VA)
    Whitehouse (D-RI)
    Wyden (D-OR)

NAYs ---31

Barrasso (R-WY)
    Bennett (R-UT)
    Brownback (R-KS)
    Bunning (R-KY)
    Burr (R-NC)
    Chambliss (R-GA)
    Coburn (R-OK)
    Cochran (R-MS)
    Corker (R-TN)
    Cornyn (R-TX)
    Crapo (R-ID)
    DeMint (R-SC)
    Ensign (R-NV)
    Enzi (R-WY)
    Grassley (R-IA)
    Hatch (R-UT)
    Hutchison (R-TX)
    Inhofe (R-OK)
    Isakson (R-GA)
    Johanns (R-NE)
    Kyl (R-AZ)
    McCain (R-AZ)
    McConnell (R-KY)
    Murkowski (R-AK)
    Risch (R-ID)
    Roberts (R-KS)
    Sessions (R-AL)
    Shelby (R-AL)
    Thune (R-SD)
    Vitter (R-LA)
    Wicker (R-MS)
    Not Voting - 1
    Kennedy (D-MA)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am embarrased to live in Florida with both senators voting yes, including Republican Martinez. I know how I'll be voting next fall.

WA's Murray and Cantwell need to update their resumes.

Something to consider

It pays to remember that with the democrats holding a majority in both houses and the white house sometimes compromises have to be made.
    Consider this scenario;
    Suppose the confirmation had been rejected, be it for her gun ownership views, or some other "Cause". The republicans need to be looking ahead at the next person in line. It's possible the next nominee might be even more anti gun but more moderate in a different subject, say abortion or gay rights or whatever else scare the hell out of conservatives these days.

Maybe they decided to take the lesser of two evils.

NRA Involvement

I would hope that the NRA will drop their support for those that voted in favor of her nomination. I would also hope they would re-score all in the House that are not co-sponsoring HR 2083, HR 197, and HR 17. These are, respectively, The Border Sovereignty and Protection Act, National Right to Carry and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, and The Citizen's Self-Defense Act of 2009.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I already emailed both losers supposedly representing my state, telling them exactly how I'm going to vote and actively work against them.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

The good news...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    I am embarrased to live in Florida with both senators voting yes, including Republican Martinez. I know how I'll be voting next fall.
    is that the RINO announces today that he is resigning. My worry now is that he is hoping to aid another RINO, or GOD forbid, Kendrick Meek to win the seat in the Fall.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Same here in Missouri, I am also ashamed that both my senators sold my vote.

I'd also like to add that I sure wouldn't cry if someone cracked Claire McCaskill in the mouth the next time she decides to speak in any state but Missouri...

It seems she is against me having 2nd amendment rights outside of my resident state...If that's the case, I feel she shouldn't have 1st amendment rights outside of her resident state....

I guess I just got reported to the White House for "fishy" talk.

nice knowing you all
    Last edited by Geds; August 7th, 2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the quote, and then decided not to because i was running out of time with the black helicopters outside and th

This is an issue that has finally crossed party lines.

If it is true that 80% of Obama voters support CCW permits, that is great news in some ways.

I have to say I've seen this first hand. I know many people who vote generally democratic who are totally Pro2A. And to my surprise almost all have agreed with my in discussions that armed and trained citizens are a weapon for good that could stop some of the senseless violence.

I have to say that is a change from how it used to be.

On the flip side, I've run into many highly religious Republicans who are slowly becoming anti-gun. I've been saying this for a few years, and now finally others are starting to run into them too. It is a strange little flip-flop going on behind the scenes of the big politics.

We are starting to see it now in the big white buildings with Democrats taking the chance and voting pro gun, and Republicans taking the chance and voting anti-gun.

Now as weird as this might sound, this is great news for America. Because maybe, this topic can stop dividing the party lines altogether. Because that is what we need, we need to unite. This country needs things that "We The People" can stand together on, as many topics as we can get. And if we can force our politicians to focus on other real issues, America will be better off for it.

Right now so much effort is wasted in this fight. The NRA spends billions fighting anti-gun people. Could you imagine what they could do if they were not spending that money? They could focus on things like education and safe ownership, and programs to help people buy guns and technology and whatever else they could imagine.

There are anti-gun groups out there also spending millions on trying to convince people guns are evil. Imagine that effort focused on feeding starving people?

My point is that maybe slowly the message is getting through. The fight is far from over, but I think now it is within reach. Because Obama is as Liberal as we are ever going to get, and he does not seem especially concerned with being anti-gun. Certainly not the way Reagan was "anti-drug" just to use an example.

I mean could you imagine a "say not to guns" campaign the way Reagan would have run it? We'd be squashed into oblivion. Thankfully old Ronnie was not that anti-gun. And I don't think Obama is either. I think he was more for it while in the inner city, which is what those voters want. But out here in real America I think Obama recognizes the need and want by the voters. Not saying I trust him, just saying that so far he does not seem overly concerned with the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post

I think a lot of folks will remember how the Republicans played politics by confirming Sotomayor just to not hurt the latino vote for 2010. They don't have to care about their careers; once they're elected they're entitled to that level of pay for life (apparently) along with free medical benefits. So it's no wonder they support Sotomayor and the health care bill...they'll be unaffected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links