Encountering another CCWer while in a situation...

This is a discussion on Encountering another CCWer while in a situation... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan It is dangerous for us to enter these situations but it is our duty as CCW permit holders. You must have ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Encountering another CCWer while in a situation...

Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan
    It is dangerous for us to enter these situations but it is our duty as CCW permit holders.
    You must have missed something in your training. Your carry permit does NOT license you to act as a cop by using your weapon to intervene in a petty crime. As is repeatedly pointed out on this forum: Your CCW does NOT make you a cop.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    Link to Article

Us sheepdogs got to be careful out there. It is dangerous for us to enter these situations but it is our duty as CCW permit holders.

What would you all have done? How would you do things differently?
    No it is not our duty to try and do the job of LEO. We carry to protect ourselves and loved ones, not the whole world.

What I would have done is call 911 and be a good witness, nothing more in the circumstances put forth in the report.

Like so many have said before me, in so many cases..draw only to in life threating situation to defend your family....Jeeze, to sceam out Police..even I, as a foreigner know thats stupid..it is like telling someone you work for the CIA or JAG when your work at Starbucks..

Put him away..

-sorry, just had to get it out..
    IDPA, USPSA, NRA & USCCA!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    I seem to recall anti-gunners who predicted (after the passing of concealed carry laws) that folks with a license would be drawing down on each other. I join in with Janq, ccw9mm, and the others who advise folks that we are not cops, and please don't be giving anti-gunners ammo to use against us.
    Well said!!!

Let me say this... and even though I am about the 13th person to say it, it can not be said enough. DO NOT DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN CALL THE POLICE!!!!!

Here is another scenario where good intentions result in otherwise good guys losing their permits and opening up the possibility of losing their lives.

I have had to use my firearm against a would be assailant that held me up with a knife. To make a long story short, a distraction allowed me to push him away and draw my firearm. I did exactly as the "first citizen" in this story did except, it was to protect my life. I commanded him to the pavement because he dropped the knife as soon as he saw the gun coming out. A lady, the previously mentioned distraction, screamed and called 911.

This is what we hold permits for. Not to be cop wantabes. We have our firearms to protect our life. Property means nothing. Life preservation is what it is all about. I will say that the guy in my scenario saved a life that day... his own... by dropping the knife and removing the threat. The knife being a second longer in his hand would have resulted in three shots placed in center of mass. Since he did drop it, Williamson county police gave him a place to stay free of charge with three hot meals a day. The courts decided to extend his welcome to two years.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    ......It is dangerous for us to enter these situations but it is our duty as CCW permit holders.
    What???? It is not your duty nor mine to protect anyone but yourself and your family-period!

There are too many people that should not be carrying guns that are. What happens if I am forced to defend myself or my family - now I have to worry that some play cop is going to take me out? I think they both should lose their license\permits to carry! Stay out of other people's business and report it when you do not have all the facts. It was a very minor incident that could have become major because two guys wanted to play cops and robbers. Geez

I agree that in this case both men should be charged with being stupid. This was a theft and there was no need for either of them to get involved at all. Granted I believe you should do the right thing and try and stop a crime if you can but not in the manner they did in this case. Had this been a violent crime then it may have been different but in that case there would be no asking the BG to stop.. there would simply be a trigger squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    I agree that in this case both men should be charged with being stupid. This was a theft and there was no need for either of them to get involved at all. Granted I believe you should do the right thing and try and stop a crime if you can but not in the manner they did in this case. Had this been a violent crime then it may have been different but in that case there would be no asking the BG to stop.. there would simply be a trigger squeeze.
    Idiots like these two make the case for those opposed to guns in general and licensed carry in particular. You have to wonder what kind of training course they completed in order to obtain their permits.

A cell phone is so much easier to use is such an 'minor' situation.
    Both CCW permit holders made some basic errors in judgement.
    This is not good for our cause, but I doubt it will become a big smudge...thankfully, no one was injured.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

While I completely agree with everyone's sentiments here regarding what happened, I think I remember reading an Ayoob article in which he explicitly said an armed citizen yelling "Stop! Police!" is acceptable since you could justifiably claim you were yelling for someone ELSE to actually call the police.

Now, I'm 99% sure Ayoob would disagree with what the citizen did in this instance (the other 1% allowing for the fact I don't know the man), and I don't think he meant to to try to pass yourself off as a cop in yelling the above statement. But did Ayoob write that or am I mistaken? I'll try to dig it up later.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    I seem to recall anti-gunners who predicted (after the passing of concealed carry laws) that folks with a license would be drawing down on each other. I join in with Janq, ccw9mm, and the others who advise folks that we are not cops, and please don't be giving anti-gunners ammo to use against us.

Luckily, this is the first I've seen of this article; but I enjoy gambling and I'll bet it'll be on some national media soon and I'll run across it again 3 or 4 times more, all with the anti's viewpoints instead of our own.

Say, how do you ccw in illinios.I see thats were the op is from.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Idiots like these two make the case for those opposed to guns in general and licensed carry in particular. You have to wonder what kind of training course they completed in order to obtain their permits.
    Well in my state there is NO training required and you can get your permit in just a few hours. I had to wait over the weekend because their office was closing before the sheriff got a chance to sign it.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the dude View Post
    Say, how do you ccw in illinios.I see thats were the op is from.
    It's from Idaho.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    While I completely agree with everyone's sentiments here regarding what happened, I think I remember reading an Ayoob article in which he explicitly said an armed citizen yelling "Stop! Police!" is acceptable since you could justifiably claim you were yelling for someone ELSE to actually call the police.
    I bet that would get the "impersonating an officer" charge dismissed in about 15 seconds.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links