I can't conceal in a suit!

This is a discussion on I can't conceal in a suit! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear Armani Exchange, Banana Republic or Express suits. I carry the slimline Glock 36 in an MTAC IWB, but I don't conceal it by ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't conceal in a suit!

I wear Armani Exchange, Banana Republic or Express suits. I carry the slimline Glock 36 in an MTAC IWB, but I don't conceal it by tucking the shirt over the gun if I am wearing a jacket. I hardly get any printing. It depends on the fabric and how it falls. You can wear your gun iwb or owb, and try on different jackets to see which fabric conceals best.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Any suggestions?
    Get a suit fitted for you and the gun.

My suitcoats have a second lining sewn in them to keep the gun from wearing through the original lining and are fitted for the gun. The pants are sized for IWB carry, and the legs are cut to accomodate the BUG in an Ankle Holster.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; August 8th, 2009 at 05:22 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by badger54 View Post
    Also have you tried a shoulder rig?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    My suggestion would be to speak with a tailor who can make adjustments accordingly.
    A good tailor can be a carriers best friend, and not just for suits!

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    All my suits are from Men's Warehouse (I didn't know they were gun friendly till after I got my CCW). One of the things they do to aid concealment, in addition to specially fitting it, is to add extra material inside the jacket where the gun will be. This helps reduce printing. I think they call that the ballistic panel.
    to Men's Warehouse....hubby's suits and even his tux are from there and they have never so much as batted an eyelash when asked to make tailoring adjustments for better concealment over his shoulder rig
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You just need to gain a few hundred pounds and then you could CCW in your Birthday Suit

ummm......ewwwww!
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You just need to gain a few hundred pounds and then you could CCW in your Birthday Suit
    From the AP:

HOUSTON — An obese inmate in Texas has been charged after officials learned he had a gun hidden under flabs of his own flesh.

Twenty-five-year-old George Vera was charged with possession of a firearm in a correctional facility after he told a guard at the Harris County Jail about the unloaded 9mm pistol.

The Houston Chronicle reported Thursday that Vera was originally arrested on charges of selling illegal copies of compact discs.

The 500-pound man was searched during his arrest and again at a city jail and the county jail, but officers never found the weapon in his rolls of skin. Vera admitted having the gun during a shower break at the county jail.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided just to wear another suit, which is also light but doesn't print. As far as all the suggestions are concerned...my suits are all European/Italian design, meaning fitted to the body, and low rise. Low rise mean to room for a smart carry. I don't really have the cash or the time to get another gun at this point. You have to qualify with every gun you carry, and take that down to the CCW Bureau and have it added to your permit, and that won't get done by next week. I went and looked at some shoulder rigs, and again, over $100 for one is something I don't want to be spending money on right now, for a one time thing.

Again, thanks for all the replies. What this situation did was get me thinking on what to do if this happens again, which I am sure it will. I was thinking of getting a BUG soon anyway to carry on the ankle, so that is probably what I will use for situations like this. Pocket carry probably wouldn't work either with these suits.

Have you looked at the clip draw for the Glock. I'm not quite sure about it yet. But a couple of the range officers where I shoot swear by them. They usually get the trigger block too for added safety without the trigger guard a holster offers. Just a thought, and one more idea for you.

Order Clipdraw - The Original Clipdraw for Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    From the AP:

HOUSTON — An obese inmate in Texas has been charged after officials learned he had a gun hidden under flabs of his own flesh.

Twenty-five-year-old George Vera was charged with possession of a firearm in a correctional facility after he told a guard at the Harris County Jail about the unloaded 9mm pistol.

The Houston Chronicle reported Thursday that Vera was originally arrested on charges of selling illegal copies of compact discs.

The 500-pound man was searched during his arrest and again at a city jail and the county jail, but officers never found the weapon in his rolls of skin. Vera admitted having the gun during a shower break at the county jail.
    Could you post a link to this please.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Exactly. Without tailoring, it's all a guess.
    Tailoring would be the preferred course of action.

I had the same dilemma a month ago. I managed to go a size bigger jacket off the rack and it worked fine for my PPS in a SuperTuck at 4:30, even jacket closed.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by badger54 View Post
    Could you post a link to this please.
    Here you go.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

try shoulder rig

I conceal in a suit all the time at work. 40 hours a week.

I use a Blade-tech Ultimate IWB (tuckable), and I wear it at my 0330-0400. The secret, I discovered (as the holster bulges out my pants like all get out with my wide-body Glock 30), is to BLOUSE THE SHIRT.

Tuck like usual, then lift your arms out to 90 degrees from your body.

If this untucks your shirt, buy one with longer tails.

I have a long body, and I have to look for shirts that cover me.

Jos. A Bank makes great long shirts, and their StayCool line is perfect, even in NV. :)
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

My suggestion. This is what I use for deep concealment needs. Works great for tighter fitting clothing. Belly Band Holster - The Original Bellyband - Concealment Holsters

I should mention... I'm sure you know you won't be making the draw like oh Tom there, but it'll be concealed and on you.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

not sure of the Glock's size, but

I carry either a compact or full size 1911 in a tuckable holster, or sometimes in a fobus paddle, when I go to church. The full size will print a bit, depending on the jacket I'm wearing but the Officers sized wont. I can even take my jacket off while wearing the tuckable and it does not show (or if it does, nobody tells me). I have even worn it while preaching.
    Fortunately, my church is filled with CHL holders. At any given service, I can point to 6-8 armed men and women. Our pastor is proud to be the best protected pastor in the DFW (Dallas-Ft Worth for you Yankees ) area.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links