Do you concealed carry extra magazines?

This is a discussion on Do you concealed carry extra magazines? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pretty much a straight forward question... do you carry extra magazines when you carry concealed? If so, how many? Do you have a combo holster/magazine ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry extra magazines?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

36 19.57%
  • Yes, 1 extra magazine.

99 53.80%
  • Yes, 2 extra magazines.

46 25.00%
  • Yes, three (or more) extras.

3 1.63%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you concealed carry extra magazines?

Do you concealed carry extra magazines?

Pretty much a straight forward question... do you carry extra magazines when you carry concealed? If so, how many? Do you have a combo holster/magazine pouch or do you have a "separated" rig with magazine on your support hand side?
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I usually carry one spare regardless of what gun I may be carrying.

I don't like the combo holster so I use a separate mag carrier on the belt.

I answered 2 because that is 90% of the time; I sometimes carry only 1 but infrequently and NEVER go without atleast 1 spare, and then usually with a BUG.

VIP Member
    I don't although I suppose I should. In fact, I have two extra magazines for my HK P7, and one sits loaded in the home while the one lies empty in the box so go figure. ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I generally try to carry two extras when I'm packing a standard 1911, whereas I usually carry one while packing with pistols that use high-cap double-stack mags.

I also keep an additional extra mag in my car, whenever I'm away from home.

I always carry one extra mag, unless I'm going to one of several cities in FL. If I'm going to Jax, Tampa, or Orlando, then it's my one extra mag on an OWB carrier and two more in the pocket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I always carry two extra mags, weak side, double mag holder, on the belt. Primary carry is G26, 3:30 o'clock, OWB, vest cover garment.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

It's my preference to carry an extra mag/speed-loader when my firearm of choice holds less than 10 rounds.

I have like 8 mag carriers, but I mostly use them at competitions and not for CCW.

Of course if I was going on an extended trip, or trip to unfamiliar areas, then I'd might carry a couple extra mags. If the zombie threat level went to Amber, then I'd probably carry 5 mags minimum.

VIP Member
    I always carry at least 1 spare magazine. Carried in a separate magazine pouch. Not fond of the combo rigs for a defensive weapon.

1 Extra most always 95% of time if 30rnd of 124gn speer +p is not enough, I'm in to DEEP
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Since I carry a LCP as my primary, I keep 6 mags in my glove box and I'll grab how many I need depending on the threat level. But I always carry one of those in my pocket so I have atleast 12 rounds, but sometimes I'll carry 3 mags, just depends on the area and the threat level I'm expecting.

As far as my 357 mag, I keep that in the glove box on road trips and I have one speed loader as a spare.

Everyone is different. I figure that if what I have on me in the gun isn't enough to do what I need, then 2 probably won't be either and the situation is FUBAR. If I have to dress up like a Mexican bandito with mags hanging off me everywhere then carrying isn't for me. I'm looking to defend myself if it is my last resort, I have no reasonable and safe chance to remove myself from the threating situation, and I am out of options. I am not looking to get into a shootout on the street corner.

Funny all you read on this forum is about TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN so that you hit what you shoot at. If you do that (unless 2-5 bad guys show up at which point having 50 rounds probably won't be enough unless your Clint Eastwood) then 7, 10, or 15 rounds should be plenty unless that is just a "mantra" on this forum and not what people are actually doing.

Just my two cents, which when the current administration gets done will only be worth one.

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    Since I carry a LCP as my primary, I keep 6 mags in my glove box and I'll grab how many I need depending on the threat level. But I always carry one of those in my pocket so I have atleast 12 rounds, but sometimes I'll carry 3 mags, just depends on the area and the threat level I'm expecting.
    Not trying to be a smart a.. but I am just curious... are you law enforcement, military, etc...? How many threats are you faced with (or have actually been faced with) that you are determining weather you need to grab 3-6 extra mags? Where are you hanging out that is presenting this kind of threat?

I usually don't, I hope 11 rounds of .45 is enough, Sometimes if I am going certain places, I will grab an extra mag.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    When carrying my USPC, I always carry one spare mag weak side. When carry my 1911, I'll usually carry two spare 8-rounders, also weak side. In both cases, this gives me a total of 25 rounds.

My thinking is that I can no more predict the number of potential attackers I may one day find myself faced with than I can predict whether an attack will happen at all. Multiple-person robberies and home invasions are not uncommon, and I don't want to ever be in a situation that calls for more bullets than I have on my person. Carrying a loaded-down bandolier or chest rig's worth of mags is a bit excessive in my mind, but a spare mag or two is cheap insurance.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links