My CCing trip to MI

My CCing trip to MI

This is a discussion on My CCing trip to MI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I just got back from a trip to MI to visit relatives. (I haven’t been there since August 2001.) My wife drove there four ...

My CCing trip to MI

Well, I just got back from a trip to MI to visit relatives. (I haven’t been there since August 2001.)
    My wife drove there four weeks ago, so I sent her ahead with my Kimber Ultra Cary II & ammo and I carried my old trusty Ruger P-95 until I left for the airport to join her and the kids. (My Kimber was waiting to join me in the holster when I arrived.)

My younger brother has recently gotten interested in Pistol shooting and had applied for his CWP, so when I got out to the farm (near Charlotte,) he met me there and we went shooting in the old gravel pit in the back 40. He has a really nice Beretta 9mm. (His $$ spent on instruction has shown its worth, he got a bulls eye at 100 feet with that gun! Two shots. The other was 2” to the side of the bulls eye. Next time I’ll expect him to shoot a smiley face like in “Lethal Weapon.”)
    So I was able to show off my holsters and carry methods to him as he is now thinking about how to comply with CC’ing.
    And the day before we left he got his permit!
    We had to do some more shooting!
    It was a good time to catch up with extended family and was really fun to find out just how many are CCing Pistol packers. (Whodathunkit?)

I was trying to figure out how to deal with the “must disclose” issue because while visiting my wife’s family (in another county) we were going to have a dinner with most of her relatives which includes that county’s Sheriff (her brother-in-law.) Just before arriving at her brother’s home I remembered that the wine would be flowing freely, so I had to disarm anyhow, and that issue never had to be dealt with. (I might not have cared much either way, it is just that some of her family are screaming liberals and I would have wanted to call out the Sheriff to disclose to him in private.)
    In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if because it was a private dinner, and not dealing with the Sheriff in the coarse of his duties as Sheriff, would I have had to disclose, if I were otherwise armed?
    Just curious of all y'all opinions.

Hey! Ammo is cheaper in MI than it is back here in CO. So I picked up a small case of 250 rounds to bring back home. Couldn’t find any .380 for Mrs. elkhunter though.

The drive back was kinda naked feeling. Had to drive through Obamaland (Chicago, and Ill.) So I had to lock up everything out of reach. (Friggin paranoid politicians!)
    I wasn’t sure how to deal with Iowa, & Nebraska. They do not recognize my CCP, but each state allows OC. Go figure. My holsters are IWB, so I just kept the guns generally where they were until I crossed back into CO.

It’s good to be home!
    COLORADO, my home!
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Sounds like a great trip! I always hate that naked feeling of not having anything on you (drive back)!

As far as the disclosure... The way I interpret that is you don't have to go tell every LEO you are carrying as you pass them on the street. It is when you deal with them in a "working, professional environment" when they are performing their duties (pulling you over, etc) that requires that you disclose. I'm not a lawyer, but I think this is a pretty common, acceptable way of interpreting this.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    The drive back was kinda naked feeling. Had to drive through Obamaland (Chicago, and Ill.) So I had to lock up everything out of reach. (Friggin paranoid politicians!)
    I wasn’t sure how to deal with Iowa, & Nebraska. They do not recognize my CCP, but each state allows OC. Go figure. My holsters are IWB, so I just kept the guns generally where they were until I crossed back into CO.

It’s good to be home!
    COLORADO, my home!
    I think I'd take the scenic route just to avoid Illinois, but that's just me since I live in Kentucky.
    I also agree with Texaspaul, his is the common way of interpreting the situation.

PS.
    You need to leave a space before AND between the little smilie faces for them to work (I correct them in my reply)
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

ammo cheap in Mi,,, at 40.00 a box for 9mm it must be real expensive in CO... You would not have to disclose in your example.. It was good you disarmed while drinking. Mi does like that. I live about 30 miles from charlotte, glad you had a nice time.

Not sure about the prices being cheaper here, I was at a gunshow saturday and some of the guys must have been loading for wearwolves with silver bullets considering the prices they were asking.
    At least there seems to be a little more available. The local walmart has 10-12 boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post

I was trying to figure out how to deal with the “must disclose” issue because while visiting my wife’s family (in another county) we were going to have a dinner with most of her relatives which includes that county’s Sheriff (her brother-in-law.)
    Disclosure is only for being stopped by LE. Casual encounters are not stoppages and no need to disclose. The LE I've spoken to said they would feel bothered if you disclosed to them when you see them at the gas station filling their tank.

I interact daily with LE as my company loads their ammunition and I am the armorer for their rifles. They all know I carry all the time. It isn't something that is questioned. We are men handling business and going on with life.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Yeah, in MI you only need to disclose when the officer makes contact with you in the course of their duties. You don't even need to disclose if you are a passenger in a stopped vehicle unless the officer speaks to you.

Thanks for your reply's.

In my first expectation, we were to have that dinner at the sheriff's home, so that was where I was originally thinking.
    So, when the venue was changed to the brother's home, I still had that in my mind, and therefore got me thinking in the larger context.
    Of course not at the gas station, I was thinking about in a prolonged contact in a more social setting.
    It got me thinking. Just wondering how LEO's here think of that.

Thanks All.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

No cop I know has a problem with it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links