Helping Potential CCW Permitees

This is a discussion on Helping Potential CCW Permitees within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday at work I was talking with one of the maintenance men at the property where I guard. At one point he mentioned that he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yesterday at work I was talking with one of the maintenance men at the property where I guard. At one point he mentioned that he was concerned about the increasing level of crime and that he & his wife were going to be taking a CCW class together. I didn't mention to him that I had a permit but just listened to him talking.

He mentioned that a "friend of his" could get him & his wife into a class in Pahrump, Nevada for his CCW permit. I asked him how much they were charging and he mentioned the price of $500.00 for both of them. I then mentioned that that was too much for a CCW class here in the Las Vegas area. He asked me if I knew of any in the area that would cost less than $500.00.

I gave him the name of a location here in Vegas that only charges $75.00 per person (thegunstore.com). He was surprised that he was going to pay so much for a class that was less expensive here in Las Vegas. I didn't say why I knew about this class but he may have "assumed" that I have a carry permit. I just gave him the information to enroll him & his wife in the carry permit class. This maintenance man is on the "security committee" where I guard so he has always wanted a CCW permit for quite a while as he explained it to me.

Before I walked away he shook my hand and thanked me for giving him this useful information. I saved him & his wife some money as well. It's a good feeling knowing that you have helped someone else become a little safer!

Have any of you had this same experience? I would enjoy reading how this topic was brought up!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I have recommended classes to several friends (and relatives) of mine, when asked, over the years I have had my CCW. Most have gone on to complete the classes and obtained their CCW.
    I work with the local police department, and I do not hide the fact that I have a CCW. No one has taken offense, or run away screaming in terror. In fact, just the opposite, they have been appreciative of my recommendations.
    Most people that own guns, or associate with gun owners, are pretty good .

So, that 'friend of his' was a 'crook'?

You definitely made a new friend, possibly another 'armed' friend.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Nicely done. :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I have had a number of conversations that kinda "morph" into shooting sports and CC, but can't off hand recall how we got there. Probably starts with hunting talk. The last time resulted in friends getting their CCP's.

The most I ever heard a CC class costing was around $200, but that included an indoor range and a two day class with one day of range shooting.
    I tell people that if they are already competent with a pistol, get the $75 or $100 class that a friend of mine offers.

It's a good feeling to help out a friend isn't it?
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

now just look at all the money you saved him, with the price of ammo, he can buy extra now

Less Than Honest Friend

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    So, that 'friend of his' was a 'crook'?

You definitely made a new friend, possibly another 'armed' friend.
    When I heard $500.00 for a ccw permit class I had to ask why it was so expensive. He didn't go into specifics, but I suspect that he was a little shocked at such an expensive class for a permit.

I wonder if he'll go back to "his friend" and ask him why the class was so expensive. Not to mention the hour long drive to where the class was being held. Now he's only a 20 minute drive away from the class.

He & his wife are good people. I don't like it when someone takes advantage of people. Now I've saved them $350.00 & that will buy some much needed ammo. They both have their handguns already so they could use some fresh ammo once they get their permits.

It still wasn't right charging them $500.00 for a class that will only cost $150.00 here locally. Some people have no scruples!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

The question I have is this...was the $500 class at Frontsight? Frontsight is just outside of Parumph, NV.

If this is the case, the class is worth the $500. It's MUCH more than just the basic CCW permit class.

My brother is highly trained Military. He's served 2 tours to the middle east. When he got back from his 2nd, he went to Frontsight with his wife and said the training was better than anything he got in the Military.

Frontsight will teach you when and when NOT to draw your gun, much less shoot. They will teach you to draw from concealed and train you to fire safely, effectively and quickly. Excellent training from my brother's opinion and I look forward to going there someday.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

I don't generally make a secret of the fact that I have a CCW permit.

In fact, through discussions with them, I also know that my chiropractor, and the guy who used to be my Bishop at church also have CCW permits.

I share the info with those who seem interested, and don't bother telling those who aren't. I've recommended classes to friends several times, and set got my wife in a class as well.

I like having a CCW, and have kept mine valid since early 1995. I mostly open carry for convenience, but it's nice to be able to conceal for situations where it seems appropriate.

Daryl

I have recommended a ccw class to friends and family if asked.

I only reveal that I have a ccw if it is a trusted friend or close family that has expressed interest to ccw themselves.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    In the year and a half since I got out of the Navy I have helped at least a dozen people (mostly women) get their licenses here in the pensacola area. I give them this site, Florida Carry, Gutmachers Site, Handgunlaw.us, and NRA-ILA when I first find out they might be interested. This site has helped them see the self defense issues from your prospectives. I am proud that there are at least a dozen Good Guys/Girls that the BG's need to be mortally afraid of. I send them toward the classes at the regular gun shows to get the training, I mostly go over Gutmachers book with them so they know the legal ways to defend themselves. After I go over the book with them they usually order their own copy, or in a few cases I never see mine again :) money well spent. I am on my 4th copy of the sixth edition :)
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Besides my mother-in-law last month, my mom 2 years ago and my son 5 years ago, I've steered a dozen or so other folks to classes.

Every class I've seen costs $75 here in Kentucky (I'm not sure but I think fees are regulated by the state). This includes, by law, both classroom and live fire test. You must provide firearm, ammo for live fire exercise and test (usually they want you to bring 50-60 rounds), ear protection, cleaning tools (you must demonstrate that you know how to handle and fire weapon safely as well as clean it). Some classes are at ranges that rent all equipment for extra fees. Class is usually one day (8-10 hours depending on the live fire portion, or 2-3 evenings.

The license fees are $60 for new and renewing unless exempted (active and retired LEOs). License is good for 5 years. You take a copy of your class certificate to sheriffs office, fill out paper work (under oath and notarized if I remember correctly), submit fees with a color photo. Sheriff must submit paperwork to state within 5 days. My license took 6 weeks from submission day. Of others I know some took less time, some took more time.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

Administrator
    You did good!

Frontsight or not, $500 for a CCW class is rape.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Frontsight or not, $500 for a CCW class is rape.
    $500 for the guy and his wife, so $250 per person.

At a world-class facility like Frontsight, that's NOT "rape".

Frontsight goes well beyond the "bare bones basics" that virtually all the other "cheaper" classes teach.

Not to mention that Frontsight has donated substantial amounts of money to Second Amendment advocacy groups like Gun Owners of America and Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership---whereas most of the "cheaper" class instructors are simply out to make a quick buck.

I paid 150.00 in my state, and only got a very basic class that taught the bare minimum required to obtain a CCP, and the facility it was held at was a far cry from "world-class".

I would've happily paid another hundred bucks for an in-depth class that went beyond the bare basics, taught by highly qualified instructors at a world-class facility like Frontsight---that donates major bucks to multiple pro-Second Amendment organizations.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links