Liberal Teacher what to do? - Page 4

Liberal Teacher what to do?

This is a discussion on Liberal Teacher what to do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a current college student, I've had my fair of ultra liberal teachers. One that I have right now is in my moral and ethics ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Liberal Teacher what to do?

As a current college student, I've had my fair of ultra liberal teachers. One that I have right now is in my moral and ethics class. He's mentioned how southern baptists go to church every day with a gun in their pocket like 5 times since the class started two months ago. Obviously he is trying to make a point. I don't want to say anything because I know my grade will suffer. It's happened before. Too bad the rest of the class is probably absorbing his mentality creating more anti's. I bet he would have a heart attack if he knew I was carry a SIG P226 in his class everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by OldDawg
    I have been in a similiar situation with a school teacher with my Son , when we lived in California. One of his Teachers was making the Students act out a play in calsss that involved Homosexual relationships, the students had no option & would have flunked the required class according to the Teacher. I went to the school board & the local media.. It was a battle that lasted 3 hours , I informed the scholl board president that I would take it to FOX news( I have a contact in the newsroom ) if the Teacher was not stopped by end of the business Day... ( I had a copy of the SKIT. & also a complete background on this anti everything teacher)

The teacher is probably still sweeping floors ... He was replaced that afternoon by a substitute & was not allowed to Teach a class without Approval of the class work by the school board for the remaining years my son went to that school, I do not know if he is still under probation..

National Media scares these school boards... GO FOR IT>!

MY son still brags about how his DAD took on the schoolboard & won!!!!!!!

He is not damaged.

Send me an IM if you want some input on who to contact in the National media... WE have alot of support in the FOX newsroom...

Understood. The above was a vastly different situation, with a great outcome for you. What your plan addresses is a specific situation with an instructor treading on very thin social ice. Arguably an anti-gun message has broader social appeal, and thus is "safer" "ice" so to speak.

What I did not see addressed, however, was: whether or not the situation resulted in your son being treated differently in that same school by other teachers and the administration afterwards; whether you had other children following him through with those same teachers, whether you truly believe it did or did not effect the relationships he had with other teachers that year or subsequently.

I am not being critical, I just have a significantly different take on the school issue. I've dealt with a fair number of vindictive, demeaning and hurtful teachers with memories like elephants (and that's not just isolated to teachers BTW). I've seen the way a teacher can slice a kid with words and looks, demean them, debate them, and ruin their sense of self and worth - in front of their classmates and friends - and not say a thing for which they can be censured. I chose to NOT subject mine to that risk.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

First off I would like to thank you all for the replys. I did make use of alot of what was posted.
    I made contact with the teacher. He denies having an anti-anything agenda. He stated his curriculm was based solely on being a responsible citizen and making good choices. We had a lengthy discussion on firearm ownership. He stated he did have a video from the NRA that he would be "willing" to show(after I asked if I could bring in someone from the NRA). He also invited me to come and talk next week and give MY VIEWS. He also wanted to me to talk about how and why arrests are made, rights of arrested persons and search and seizure. This is one I cant pass up.
    Also when my daughter came home from school today she stated what was being discussed was much different from yesterday. The teacher talked about being a good citizen and making good choices and that he needed to clairify this as there seemed to be confusion as to the message he was trying to send. GO FIGURE...............
    Now to watch my daughters grade. She has an A+ in the class and the highest scoring student taking civics. This is per the teacher, grades come out this week.

Thanks,

Huck
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW!!-- What a Ride!!"

What I did not see addressed, however, was: whether or not the situation resulted in your son being treated differently in that same school by other teachers and the administration afterwards; whether you had other children following him through with those same teachers, whether you truly believe it did or did not effect the relationships he had with other teachers that year or subsequently.

Rock & Glock,

The situations are not that far seperate, The episode happen in the Bay Area, Not exactly a pro Hetrosexual area..

As far as my son & harrassment, If it happen we didnt see it reflected in grades or anything else .. he graduated with honors ,
    If a Teacher would have gave him trouble , the school was well aware of what the outcome would be...
    My son went on to enlist in the Marines & has spent 3 tours in IRAQ, I do not think it effected him in anyway. He actually learned to stand up & make noise..

We all spend to much time be silent & that is why these people believe they can spew there Venom.... Stand Up & be counted or we will be forgotten.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Good for you Huckster. I for one am glad you stood up for what you and your kids believe in, and not back down like some posting here suggested.......Bob
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckster
    First off I would like to thank you all for the replys. I did make use of alot of what was posted.
    I made contact with the teacher. He denies having an anti-anything agenda. He stated his curriculm was based solely on being a responsible citizen and making good choices. We had a lengthy discussion on firearm ownership. He stated he did have a video from the NRA that he would be "willing" to show(after I asked if I could bring in someone from the NRA). He also invited me to come and talk next week and give MY VIEWS. He also wanted to me to talk about how and why arrests are made, rights of arrested persons and search and seizure. This is one I cant pass up.
    Also when my daughter came home from school today she stated what was being discussed was much different from yesterday. The teacher talked about being a good citizen and making good choices and that he needed to clairify this as there seemed to be confusion as to the message he was trying to send. GO FIGURE...............
    Now to watch my daughters grade. She has an A+ in the class and the highest scoring student taking civics. This is per the teacher, grades come out this week.

Thanks,

Huck

Fantastic Result! Congratulations!
    Sounds like you're moving forward in a positive fashion with the fella. Good luck with your presentation!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

[I]
    We all spend to much time be silent & that is why these people believe they can spew there Venom.... Stand Up & be counted or we will be forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkeBob
    Good for you Huckster. I for one am glad you stood up for what you and your kids believe in, and not back down like some posting here suggested.......Bob
    I think we all agree it's a GREAT OUTCOME! I know we're also happy that a pro-gun parent has gotten the school forum to present another view. Fantastic.

Rock & Glock,

The situations are not that far seperate, The episode happen in the Bay Area, Not exactly a pro Hetrosexual area..

As far as my son & harrassment, If it happen we didnt see it reflected in grades or anything else .. he graduated with honors ,
    If a Teacher would have gave him trouble , the school was well aware of what the outcome would be...
    My son went on to enlist in the Marines & has spent 3 tours in IRAQ, I do not think it effected him in anyway. He actually learned to stand up & make noise..

"Not exactly a pro Hetrosexual area":

"he graduated with honors":

"enlist in the Marines & has spent 3 tours in IRAQ"
    : Wow - I am speechless. He is quite a man, and I'm sure he's proud of his father, as you are of him. Rightfully. May he be safe, wherever he is posted!

"He actually learned to stand up & make noise..": I think he learned this before, from a great Dad!

Sounds like things went the right way good job

I honestly don't understand why this ever came up at all. Nowhere in my curriculum have I ever seen any reason to discuss this issue one way or the other.

Nowhere in my course syllabus does it mention debating 2A issues in class. And quite frankly I don't have the time, I have students who can't factor quadratics.

Getting off topic happens sometimes but is to be avoided, not actively pursued.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiked
    Is Home Schooling an option for you.

If so it solves all your problems. Your child gets a better education.
    You get to control the environment and you can list this jerk as your primary reason.
    Disagree. I'm a remedial teacher. Home schooling has done much to hurt the education of many a promising young person.

Eventually they fail a test and HAVE to go to school where your well behaved child who has no clue how to deal with the types of people that are in the remedial class with them suffers emotionally and academically.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Finally, tell her to "play the game" called "School" now and in the future. This is not going to end, ever. The object of the game is to get good grades and graduate with honors. Therefore, tell the bozo exactly what they want to hear as long as you yourself know and acknowledge the truth. This is not the time to stand up for truth & the American way. Students are not empowered in the same way as adults in society. All the cards are stacked against them. SO.....play the freakin' GAME!
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghog
    As a university professor in the college of education, former teacher, principal and school board member, here are a few suggestions:

* go to the principal with your daughter (and the parents of any other complaining students) and explain the one-sided ranting of the teacher--give examples.

* contact the NRA for advice about a "program" that could be offered in the teacher's class that would give another point of view.

*offer to come to the class yourself and discuss guns, safety, police and personal responsibilities regarding safety. (I volunteer to "teach" in drivers ed about watching out for motorcylces on the road...kids are always interested in my leathers, bike, and perspective.)

If the principal is unreceptive, tell him you are going to meet with the superintendent and ask if he'd like to be in the meeting. Then schedule the meeting! If the meeting with the supt. isn't satisfying, then ask him/her to put you on the agenda for the next school board meeting to discuss the above.

I'll bet you a cool Coke that one of the above will make life easier for your children who will be taking that class.

Larry
    I've got to agree with this too, nothing gets me motivated faster than a mandate from central office. I know which side my bread is buttered on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    ...The college professors these days are all anti gun that are trying to indoctrinate our young, don't trust a one of them. ....

Edited By BUD WHITE
    Hey, I teach college and I don't think I'm anti-gun. Well, perhaps anti-mouse gun.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

I read through the whole thing and don't have anything else to offer but to ask you Huck to make sure you update us on what happens. I'm curious to see how you will be welcome into the class when you go for your talk.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I have to disagree with some of what has been said above.

I will never teach my daughter that grades trump integrity - never. There will be many times in life where the cards are stacked against you - it is not an excuse for not standing for what you believe in - and speaking it with pride.

It is a personal decision, and I respect others. But this attitude saddens me.

Sounds like you did the right thing - I'm very happy it worked out!

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH

I will never teach my daughter that grades trump integrity - never. There will be many times in life where the cards are stacked against you - it is not an excuse for not standing for what you believe in - and speaking it with pride......

........But this attitude saddens me.

Sounds like you did the right thing - I'm very happy it worked out!
    I don't know that anyone here has advocated prostituting their integrity, or teaching their children to do so. Did I miss a post or something?

I don't understand that there's anything to be saddened by. I'm fine. My adult daughter is fine, as is my adult son. Neither compromise their integrity, in fact, I know of several examples of situations in which they vehemently refused to do so. I didn't see any other posts that made me sad.....did I miss one?

I think we all agree that it worked out great. I think that's what counts.

VIP Member
    Excellent news there Huckster....let us know how your presentation and interaction with the class goes for you.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links