Liberal Teacher what to do?

This is a discussion on Liberal Teacher what to do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Huckster Also when my daughter came home from school today she stated what was being discussed was much different from yesterday. That's ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Liberal Teacher what to do?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckster
    Also when my daughter came home from school today she stated what was being discussed was much different from yesterday.
    That's just great, glad it went well. Good luck with your presentation, let us know how it goes.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    I don't know that anyone here has advocated prostituting their integrity, or teaching their children to do so. Did I miss a post or something?

I don't understand that there's anything to be saddened by. I'm fine. My adult daughter is fine, as is my adult son. Neither compromise their integrity, in fact, I know of several examples of situations in which they vehemently refused to do so. I didn't see any other posts that made me sad.....did I miss one?
    I may have come across a little harsher than I meant to. I was referring to the suggestions that the parent should teach their children to pipe down about what they believe in and appease the teachers in order to make the grades. Some may not take that as a compromise in integrity. I do. Purely a personal belief.

sniff.....happy endings always choke me up....sniff....i can't wait to hear about huckster's presentation, feedback, discussion, and fallout. :)
    -
    seems that lib did not have a spine strong enough to support his agenda as he stood there, alone, possibly facing the loss of his job, or "a growth plan". :) :)
    john

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Huckster
    First off I would like to thank you all for the replys. I did make use of alot of what was posted.
    I made contact with the teacher. He denies having an anti-anything agenda. He stated his curriculm was based solely on being a responsible citizen and making good choices. We had a lengthy discussion on firearm ownership. He stated he did have a video from the NRA that he would be "willing" to show(after I asked if I could bring in someone from the NRA). He also invited me to come and talk next week and give MY VIEWS. He also wanted to me to talk about how and why arrests are made, rights of arrested persons and search and seizure. This is one I cant pass up.
    Also when my daughter came home from school today she stated what was being discussed was much different from yesterday. The teacher talked about being a good citizen and making good choices and that he needed to clairify this as there seemed to be confusion as to the message he was trying to send. GO FIGURE...............
    Now to watch my daughters grade. She has an A+ in the class and the highest scoring student taking civics. This is per the teacher, grades come out this week.

Thanks,

Huck
    This one is easy to figure out. Lots of teachers run their agendas figuring (correctly) that it won't ever come up as a point of contention 'cause parents and administrators are too busy to be sharpshooting any single teacher's curriculum, but when the issue was raised and he knew he might be in some hot water and it had the potential to go to a level of parboil, he acted to save his skin. He hasn't changed his mind and you'd better watch him carefully on the grades and especially the conduct grades which are easier to damage and will be supported by the Principal.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Encourage Intelligent Debate

Some folks will never consider the other side of an issue. All we can do is encourage intelligent debate. The following letter from myself was published in our local newspaper. I hope it may have made someone think about their perception of gun owners.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Road ragers beware: Your victim could be armed
    Thursday, February 02, 2006

By TANYA DAVIS
    Columnist

I asked for stories of road rage, and they're pouring in. Many people have mentioned that they can and do carry a firearm. I received the following unsigned letter last week:

"While returning home from work recently on a local two-lane highway, a motorist entering from a side street pulled out in front of me. I could have hit the brake hard, but since it was a dotted line legal for passing and seeing no oncoming traffic, I passed. I didn't closely swerve back in front of them or make any kind of aggressive gesture while passing. For some reason, though, my passing really ticked this guy off. He began to tailgate me and started flashing his lights. When I got to my turnoff, he followed.

"At this point it may or may not have been a coincidence. To be on the safe side though, I passed the street where I normally turn to go home. I made several unusual turns. So now I am heading back the direction I just came from. No coincidence here.

"I have a concealed carry permit and can legally go armed in the state of Tennessee, and I was. I could have pulled over and confronted this individual, and the situation could have deteriorated into something ugly rapidly. I chose to do all I could to avoid a personal encounter. This was not out of fear, but of common sense. My decision to acquire a CCW permit is due to incidents that you read about where people are killed senselessly in this country every day. I pray that I will never have to use deadly force against another human being, but neither will I stand by and let myself, wife or children suffer possible death or serious bodily injury due to inaction.

"I also could have chosen to try and outrun the other driver. This could have put me, the other driver and innocent bystanders at risk.

"I simply picked up my cell phone and called 911. I informed them of the situation and of my current location. I was going to lead the road rage driver directly to them. While talking with the dispatcher, the guy finally gave up and turned off. The dispatcher asked me if I wanted to file charges. I declined since I could not give a detailed description of the vehicle or license number since he was behind me during this time."

The writer wrote that he could have "avoided what could have been dangerous situation. This allowed me and the ‘road warrior' behind me to both go home safe to our respective families, which should be each of our desires every day."

The real road warrior wasn't the driver who acted like a jerk, but the writer of the letter. A real warrior remains and relies on common sense to win the battle.

Be careful out there.

Welcome dad2rugrats! Great letter - says a lot succintly! Please pop over to "Intros" and tell us a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Disagree. I'm a remedial teacher. Home schooling has done much to hurt the education of many a promising young person.

Eventually they fail a test and HAVE to go to school where your well behaved child who has no clue how to deal with the types of people that are in the remedial class with them suffers emotionally and academically.

QFT .
    I have to disagree. Homeschooling generally depends on who is doing it and for what reason. I was home schooled from what would have been the 5th grade up until Freshman year. The major reason was simply my mother thought she could do a better job than the public school system. During that period of time, my mother, an extremely intelligent woman, who has an MA in engineering, taught me and my siblings. The results of her work are amazing.

Instead of doing my freshman year at the high school, I did it at a community college. I graduated with a BA when I was 18 intead of a high school diploma. I went on to obtain an MA and my law degree from a top 50 law school. I passed the California bar exam which is generally recognized as one of the toughest bar exams in the nation (more than half of the applicants fail). As for being socially backwards, I participated in numerous programs and as a DA deal with the public and social situations all the time. I am not a genius or anything special. I just studied hard and was fortunate to have many opportunities. I don't share this to brag because my siblings (also homeschooled) have done equally well and are more intelligent than I am.

My brother is currently in line for either a federal LEO position or a sheriff's deputy slot. He had a Masters in Criminal Justice before he was 20 years old. My sister has a Masters in Special Education and just about every teaching certificate available. She teaches deaf children.

The point of all this is to demonstrate that home schooling is a legitimate and viable option. This is not to say that those who are homsechooled are always successful. I knew kids who studied for an hour of a day, if that. The end result was that when they returned to the public school system, they were years behind. However, I usually studied for more hours on a daily basis and studied more subjects that my public school peers. When I returned to school, I was more than two years ahead of my peers.

Homeschooling can be and is an increasing legitimate choice. There is much that is taught in the public school system that parents can and should disagree with. Many who make the decision to homeschool forget or don't anticipate the amount of work, planning, and preparation that it takes to be successful.

I am an example of how well homeschooling can work. In making the decision to homsechool, it is important to figure out why you would do it, for how long, the end goal in sight, and whether or not you are willing to put the time and work into it to get it done the right way. Sorry to rant on so long but I have dealt with some of the stereotypes of homeschooling for a long time. I thought it important to share a success story of homeschooling instead of the failures.

Thumbs down Stereotypes

Quote Originally Posted by cali-da
    I have dealt with some of the stereotypes of homeschooling for a long time. I thought it important to share a success story of homeschooling instead of the failures.
    Good observation and it cuts both ways. Don't forget that there are MANY public school teachers who are not whining handwringing liberals (in the worst sense of that label --not that which posts on this board) bent on brainwashing kids. Yes the public school system tends to be FUBAR, but we have to work with what we've got.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by cali-da
    I have to disagree. Homeschooling generally depends on who is doing it and for what reason. I was home schooled from what would have been the 5th grade up until Freshman year. The major reason was simply my mother thought she could do a better job than the public school system. During that period of time, my mother, an extremely intelligent woman, who has an MA in engineering, taught me and my siblings. The results of her work are amazing.

Instead of doing my freshman year at the high school, I did it at a community college. I graduated with a BA when I was 18 intead of a high school diploma. I went on to obtain an MA and my law degree from a top 50 law school. I passed the California bar exam which is generally recognized as one of the toughest bar exams in the nation (more than half of the applicants fail). As for being socially backwards, I participated in numerous programs and as a DA deal with the public and social situations all the time. I am not a genius or anything special. I just studied hard and was fortunate to have many opportunities. I don't share this to brag because my siblings (also homeschooled) have done equally well and are more intelligent than I am.

My brother is currently in line for either a federal LEO position or a sheriff's deputy slot. He had a Masters in Criminal Justice before he was 20 years old. My sister has a Masters in Special Education and just about every teaching certificate available. She teaches deaf children.

The point of all this is to demonstrate that home schooling is a legitimate and viable option. This is not to say that those who are homsechooled are always successful. I knew kids who studied for an hour of a day, if that. The end result was that when they returned to the public school system, they were years behind. However, I usually studied for more hours on a daily basis and studied more subjects that my public school peers. When I returned to school, I was more than two years ahead of my peers.

Homeschooling can be and is an increasing legitimate choice. There is much that is taught in the public school system that parents can and should disagree with. Many who make the decision to homeschool forget or don't anticipate the amount of work, planning, and preparation that it takes to be successful.

I am an example of how well homeschooling can work. In making the decision to homsechool, it is important to figure out why you would do it, for how long, the end goal in sight, and whether or not you are willing to put the time and work into it to get it done the right way. Sorry to rant on so long but I have dealt with some of the stereotypes of homeschooling for a long time. I thought it important to share a success story of homeschooling instead of the failures.
    <Start Ash voice>"Well Hello Mr Fancy-Pants!"<End Ash voice>

I couldn't resist! Homeschooling can work, but like you mentioned, it's a hella lot of work and the parent has to be ready and willing to commit to that. There are pros and cons to both public and home schooling so it pretty much comes down to what you are willing to put up with.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Being the Police Chief, could'nt you make his life just a little miserable?
    "The Day We Lose The Second Amendment Will Be The Day We Start The Second Revolution"
    "I Didn't Vote For Him"!

I wasn't about to read 7 pages of replies, but reading the initial post, I'd be up in the Pricipal's office asking why my son is being inculcated with a teacher's personal political beliefs...

That is both unprofessional, and pathetic on that teacher's part.

Not to mention, throw in some "mental anguish" and "pain and suffering" when I consult the attorney

Hmm...if there is graphic violence or other "objectionable material", why exactly does your child have to sit through it?

Perhaps this can be explained to you by the teacher's manager.

I like others' idea: watch the movie beforehand and come prepared. That means HANDOUTS. When he claims 500 children die per day in gun accidents, point to the handout and say:

"Actually, that is not true. The actual number, as reported by <insert government org here> is X per year."

Simply relay the facts. Offer no opinion, especially when he tries to appeal to emotion. He'll undoubtably go for the "if it saves just one life" argument. In that case, you have a very easy argument for banning automobiles, kitchen knives, and baseball bats.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links