I need some CCW advice please.

This is a discussion on I need some CCW advice please. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Beltman 1 1/2" belt, Milt Sparks VM11 IWB, Browning Hi Power, is my daily carry, and works fine for me....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some CCW advice please.

Beltman 1 1/2" belt, Milt Sparks VM11 IWB, Browning Hi Power, is my daily carry, and works fine for me.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Most of us don't buy guns for their good looks, at least I don't!!!
    I beg to differ. I believe that the vast majority of us who carry do choose a weapon that is appealing to us. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and go ahead and get what you like based on looks.

That being said, my eds carry is a Kahr P45, it is because of it's looks that I purchased the weapon! It looked slim, light and is a .45...fine looking weapon...oh, and it carries well! If I was carrying for show I would have to say that I would open carry a Desert Eagle!

So I am joking around a bit...I still believe that most of us buy with weapon looks on the list off must haves.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

PHB
    One of the biggest key to cc is your belt make sure you have a good sturdy gun belt and you should not have a problem with the Hi Power by the way it should weigh around 28 to 30 oz good luck what ever you chose.

Be safe
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy

Welcome from Kentucky, enjoy the forums, and good luck choosing a weapon.

You should carry as much gun as you can, but there will come some occassions when you have to dress more formally, and you just can't carry that full size gun. Many of us carry a big gun when wardrobe permits, but have a smaller gun for when wardrobe throws up roadblocks. A snubbie revolver or subcompact semiauto will probably enter your collection at some point. The question that only you can answer is which to buy first. For me, a 9 mm KelTeck came first (now replaced by a Kahr MK9) followed by a larger Glock G23.

GM [OP]
    That is right; choosing the “right” cc-pistol is not an easy task. I like the Hi-Power; it is a very reliable gun and it is a Browning. Furthermore, the FN Herstal recommends Nato ammo which is a plus. However, the Browning’s site does not say anything about it. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the real dimensions of the pistol, which I really would like to know. So, if someone here could please tell me the total length, height and the width I really should appreciate it very much. For comparison purpose I tried to find a photo of a Hi-Power beside a Colt Commander, but I have not been able to find it. Thanks everybody for all your advices.

For a more serious contribution to this thread - I carry an XD9sc bitone IWB. . . It has a little bulk, but I prefer the usability of it over a LCP or similar sized weapon. And, of course, I think its pretty.

I do nott think that the gun referred to in the OP is necessarily to large to comfortably carry concealed. . . but it really is a personal opinion. It might be a reasonable idea to borrow a model, or, betetr yet, buy a "blue gun" for 30-50 dollars to carry around for a few days to see if the size is reasonable for you. the blue gun can later be used for training, forming kydex holsters, etc.

just a thought.

Oh - and referencing carrying in florida - I live in South Florida, and I never have a problem carrying IWB in jeans with a gun belt and a crossbreed supertuck. I prefer wearing a tucked in dark colored T-shirt with an untucked polo shirt covering it, but I am perfectly comfortable spending a day with just an untucked T-shirt. I have never been "made" to my knowlege, and I do not tell my friends that I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by sgaterboy View Post
    Oh - and referencing carrying in florida - I live in South Florida, . . . I prefer wearing a tucked in dark colored T-shirt with an untucked polo shirt covering it, but I am perfectly comfortable spending a day with just an untucked T-shirt. I have never been "made" to my knowlege, and I do not tell my friends that I carry.
    Seems kinda warm, for So Florida.

How is it drawing from under two layers? I'm sure you have practiced.

GM [OP]
    I have seen people here wearing jeans and sweaters while I am wearing T-shirt and shorts and still melting. I should have mentioned earlier that I am not used at all to hot weather, but to snow several months a year. That is the reason because I said that South Florida feels like a stem room 24/7; originally, I am not from this area.

Please, if someone could tell me the length, width and height of the Hi-Power and if it is recommended for +p ammo I really should appreciate it. Thanks every body for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    That is right; choosing the “right” cc-pistol is not an easy task. I like the Hi-Power; it is a very reliable gun and it is a Browning. Furthermore, the FN Herstal recommends Nato ammo which is a plus. However, the Browning’s site does not say anything about it. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the real dimensions of the pistol, which I really would like to know. So, if someone here could please tell me the total length, height and the width I really should appreciate it very much. For comparison purpose I tried to find a photo of a Hi-Power beside a Colt Commander, but I have not been able to find it. Thanks everybody for all your advices.
    It's 7.75 inches long with a 4.75 in barrel. It's probably 5.5 inches high and a little over an inch thick - roughly the same size as a full size 1911A1
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

GM [OP]
    The asking is over; today I ordered a Hi-Power Standard 13 + 1 rounds. Hopefully I will get it sometimes next week. I cannot wait until I get it!
    But now I began to thing about a Commander 45 acp steel frame. That is the problem with guns; they are like rabbits. You get one, and then other … and you end having a many of them :-)

Thank you everybody for all good advices, I really appreciate it.

holster is the best place to start everything else should fall into place

Nobody is a bigger FN Hi-Power fan than me! A C&S custom HP in .357 SIG is my primary CCW. IMHO, the HP is the slimmer, lighter, curvier little sister of the 1911 (Smarter too!). And anyone who thinks they're ugly just needs to get their hand around one. It's a benchmark in comfort. But enough of my BHP infomercial.

For IWB - Crossbreed Supertuck works, as does Milt Sparks Summer Special II. OWB - Safariland (but I don't recall the model, it's around here somewhere...).

Pros say avoid a steady, large diet of +P 9mm ammo. Standard pressure for practice, +P for SD. There's only 2 barrel locking lugs on the 9mm (but 3 on the .40 S&W). There's a ton of good (credible) info from Stephen A. Camp. He's a recognised & well-respected BHP guru. NICE PICK!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My latest love affair with handguns is the BHP. What a wonderful weapon. I initially got the 9mm and finally the 40 which is the best handgun I have ever carried, bar none. Get a good holster, I use the Brommeland IWB and it hides great.
    There will be a member BikerRN by here shortly who will share more with you.

If you have more questions about carry of this great weapon, please PM me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links