I need some CCW advice please.

This is a discussion on I need some CCW advice please. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't really have much more to share, as just about anything I would say has already been said. I carry a .40 S&W Hi ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need some CCW advice please.

I don't really have much more to share, as just about anything I would say has already been said.

I carry a .40 S&W Hi Power off duty, and it is my favorite autoloader bar none. It has been used by 63 different countries, and some today are still using it. It was the "Glock" of it's day as far as fighting handguns go, and is still rendering good and faithful service throughout the world. Glock has made inroads into what used to be the Hi Power market, but the P 35 still holds it's own among us older farts.

The only place where the Hi Power lags, is in the united States. That's because we have another Browning design that our military carried for years, the 1911. Both are good guns, but John Browning designed the Hi Power, as I understand it, for the French Military handgun Trials with the idea of "correcting" what he saw as the problems and weakpoints of the 1911.

The first thing I would do is ascertain if you have a forged or a cast frame. All the new P 35's are cast frame. Trust me, in this case casting is stronger and is OK for +P usage. Change your recoil springs frequently. I change mine every 1,000 rounds as I find it very cheap insurance over the cost of a new gun.

Mr. Camp has an excellent website regarding the Hi Power, and I consider it a "must visit" for any Hi Power owner. Make sure to read his writings on the Hi Power, as it will answer a lot of your questions.

Browning Hi Power

FN Herstal in Belgium makes the Hi Power and Browning imports them to the United States. If you get the chance there is nothing wrong with an FN roll-marked FN, as it's the same gun, it just doesn't have the Browning stamp. It's only known as a Browning in America. To the rest of the world it's known as the Hi Power, P 35, Gran Pruisance (sp) and the BAP. OK, OK, so Ireland called it the Browning Automatic Pistol.

I find the P 35 very easy to conceal wearing shorts and either a one size too large Polo Shirt or an un-buttoned Hawaiian "type" shirt. That is my mode of dress for nine months out of twelve. I use one of three holsters, depending upon how I'm dressed and what I'm doing that day. I like the Kramer Horsehide #3 and the Milt Sparks watch Six the most, but also have a Summer Special II that works very well. If I don't plan on being in and out of the holster that day I favor the Watch Six for it's slim profile and dual anchor points on the belt. The VM II would be a great holster if I had a longer torso.

OK, enough of my blabbering. Welcome to civilized gun society and the pinnacle of a fine fighting gun. It's been said: "When John Browning designed the 1911 he hit a Home Run. When he designed the Hi Power he hit a Grand Slam." I happen to agree.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    The asking is over; today I ordered a Hi-Power Standard 13 + 1 rounds. Hopefully I will get it sometimes next week. I cannot wait until I get it!
    But now I began to thing about a Commander 45 acp steel frame. That is the problem with guns; they are like rabbits. You get one, and then other and you end having a many of them :-)

Thank you everybody for all good advices, I really appreciate it.
    And is there something wrong with that????
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Great pistol! IMO, OWB no problem. IWB could be difficult depending on how you like to position for carry. Like some of the others said. It's depends on the individuals build and mode of carry. For deep concealment, Good luck!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM [OP]

I need more advices about other gun

Hey again!

I am back with more questions, so if you can help me like you did before I really appreciate it. As you know I got the Browning HP for CCW. I TRULLY LOVE THE GUN! I also own a CZ SP-01 Shadow since before which is a very nice gun, but the HP is a real killer. I know that this is very subjective and some people might disagree with it, but a plus to the side is that I think the HP looks beautiful. I wrote before that that the problem with guns is that they are like rabbits, you get one, and then other … and you end having a many of them. Rugergirl asked what the problem with that was; well, nothing if you have a fat wallet :-). Any way, although I love the HP I found out that in some circumstances carrying at all can be very difficult. Then I got the solution, getting other gun for those circumstances; this time is about a Karh MK9 Elite 2003 with night sights. What make me consider this gun is the small size, 9mm, accepts +p ammo, and has stainless frame. Unfortunately I did not find any SA or SA/DA in that size, and I do not want anything less than 9mm. I wonder what do you think about this gun? Do you have any experience with it? Any advices are greatly welcome.
    Last edited by GM; October 2nd, 2009 at 07:06 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links