I need some CCW advice please.

This is a discussion on I need some CCW advice please. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about a new Hi-Power Standard, 13 rounds mag, for daily CCW ( Hi-Power Standard, , Browning Firearms Product ). I wonder if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some CCW advice please.

GM [OP]

Exclamation I need some CCW advice please.

I am thinking about a new Hi-Power Standard, 13 rounds mag, for daily CCW (Hi-Power Standard, , Browning Firearms Product). I wonder if anyone here carry one and then can tell me if they are easy to conceal. I live in Florida, which means very hot weather. All advices and opinions are welcome
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum..from South Carolina. I will defer to someone else on your question.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Do you plan on OWB or IWB? I'm of the opinion that you can CCW just about anything depending on how you intend to carry it and how much discomfort you're willing to deal with. OWB that Hi-Power might be just fine but IWB may be more than you want to deal with. It all depends on the person and the situation involved. I carry an XD9 Service IWB all the time and it's not a problem. I also carry it OWB when the weather gets colder up here and XL sweatshirts are the top-coat of the day. My S&W 686 357 will ride OWB during the colder months as well. But sometimes, when the weather gets damn well humid nasty, the Kahr MK9 in a pocket holster in my cargo shorts pocket is just fine and dandy.

Great gun in the High-Power, it just all depends on what you're willing to put up with during those nasty days.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I have that very gun, live in NC so I am familiar with hot (raised in NY so this is very hot to me), and carry it IWB no problem. It is by far my favorite gun! I carried it in a cheapy holster until my Side Guard Double Snap came a couple weeks ago, and even in the cheapy it was easy to carry. In the Double Snap it is even better. I am also a female, so even with all the challenges female clothing presents I can still carry and conceal this gun with almost anything I wear. I got the Double Snap with a 20 degree cant.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You can learn to CC anything (almost), but what may be comfortable for someone else, may not work of you...experiment.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I comfortably carry a full-size 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB.
    I also recommend Pure Kustom Holsters. Rocky makes a beautiful combo IWB/OWB that works as well in both positions.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Cool

I carry a Kahr CW9. Designed and built for concealment. I have others for the range.

I routinely carry an older, '80s vintage pre-MkIII gun. I carry it IWB in a Don Hume 715M holster.

It's one of my favorite guns.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

Shouldn't be a problem with the proper holster/belt combination. There are members here who carry the full size CZ75 which was patterned after the Browning Hi-Power. As someone else mentioned carrying a full size 1911 isn't that big a problem, so your Hi Power should be very easy to do also.

Welcome from Daytona Beach. Just be careful of the finish. You will probably need to wipe it down frequently to keep the blued finish from rusting against your skin.

GM [OP]
    I am planning to carry IWB; something else should be almost impossible when living in a place that is like a stem room 24/7. The size of the BHP is very close to the size of the XD9 Service and the Kahr CW9, while the barrel length of the BHP is 4 5/8“.

purpledragon:
    The Browning's site does not say anything about the height; I found at Wikipedia that it is 5”, but it refers to an older model; could you please tell me about it? Although the Browning’s site does to mention it, the FN Herstal’s site (HP MKIII) says that it accepts Nato ammo. Did you ever try +p ammo?

archer51:
    I own a CZ 75 Shadow, and that thing is heavy and tall. I love it when shooting, but to carry it is other story. Once I carried it all day long, and it was one time too much :-)

Tanks every body for all advices; I truly hope to get more.
    Last edited by GM; August 8th, 2009 at 10:49 PM.

In my highly educated and professional opinion, I think that gun is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by sgaterboy View Post
    In my highly educated and professional opinion, I think that gun is ugly.
    Most of us don't buy guns for their good looks, at least I don't!!!

Back to the OP. The Browning is a fine weapon, and very capable of CCing. Wether it is right for you is something only you can answer. There are so many variables, lifestyle, type of clothing, physical shape, etc....... Seldom does anyone get it right the first time and most of us have several ( a safe full) of guns that can be used for different occassions. What works for me may be totally wrong for you. So good luck in finding the carry combo that works for you and your lifestyle.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I say that with the right belt and holster combination, the Browning will be most agreeable for concealed carry. There are other semi-auto pistols that are smaller and more compact, but none that will be more reliable, accurate or easy to shoot. Plus, if you get the Browning and don't like it, you will find a ready market for it near the price you paid--assuming you get a reasonable deal. It's not like you only have one chance to get it right. That said, I think you will be pleased.

The largest gun I have been able to carry daily is a G26, approx 20oz, especially in hot weather. For me, weight and thickness are the 2 most important factors in comfort. I have never been able to wear a IWB holster.

J.S.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links