Anyone dropped down in caliber? - Page 2

Anyone dropped down in caliber?

This is a discussion on Anyone dropped down in caliber? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting discussion: I started out with .380, moved to 9mm, tried .40 but found it too snappy for me and eventually settled on the .45; ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone dropped down in caliber?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Interesting discussion: I started out with .380, moved to 9mm, tried .40 but found it too snappy for me and eventually settled on the .45; but recently I had decided to drop back to the 9mm for a number of reasons:

-Consolidation of the number of calibers I'm stocking
    -I have more guns in 9mm
    -I do shoot it better

but at the last minute I've decided to hang onto my .45. It's caught up in a mfg's recall so I have time to think it out.

I think my evolution has been to consolidate around more similar manual of arms. I'm moving more towards all simple DAO type weapons without any manual contrals.

I like having smaller, thinner, simpler guns because of my size and lower risk lifestyle/location.

So DAO Kahr's in 9mm and DAO j frames.

As for .380 the more I read and actually shoot them the more I feel a bit concerned about their real effectiveness. Because of the types of guns that are available it's not too difficult to have a 9mm or .38 with me instead so I carry them less and less and really only find a niche for them in a true pocket carry scenario in very lightweight dress pants.

I expect that at the end of the day I'll probably end up with 4 dedicated CCW guns:

a Kahr MK9, a S&W 640-1, an S&W 642, and eventually a Kahr K9

I started out carrying a G23. I then started shooting IDPA a lot and got 9mm Glocks for that. After a while I decided to standardize my ammo and moved all the way to 9mm. Now I carry a G19.

I wanted to start shooting ESP in IDPA so I got a Springfield Loaded Target in 9mm for that.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

A few years ago I was shopping for dedicated CCW guns when I was thinking about getting my Ohio CHL. I came to a choice between the Glock 19 and the Glock 23.

I've got a Glock 22. I like that gun, but with hot self-defense ammunition the muzzle whip is very pronounced. I decided that if it was that bad in the full sized gun, it could hardly be better in a smaller, lighter gun. So I went with the Glock 19.

I've been EXTREMELY pleased with the 2nd Generation Glock 19 I bought from Summit Gun Broker. It's very accurate and has been 100% reliable so far, both with FMJs and the 147gr. Winchester White Box JHPs that I carry in it. It's also very easy to control.

kpw
    Always had a 9mm around but my caliber progression for carry went .357, .44 Spl., .45, .40 and about 3 or so years back, 9mm. Just so much cheaper to shoot and still effective as a pistol can be.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I actually started the other way started with a J frame 38 spl, I'm a full time 45 now.
    this is my %90 of the time EDC, Bonds derringer 45LC

if I'm not working or have days off I carry a 3" 1911
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

I don't know what you consider "down" but went from a 1911A1 .45 to a Witness 10MM. Why? I like the gun and the round better.

Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    I don't know what you consider "down" but went from a 1911A1 .45 to a Witness 10MM. Why? I like the gun and the round better.
    You went up IMO > I stated with a .357 4in revolver & now carry a 9mm auto So I wen down IMO
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Situation permitting, I carry a 1911. Situation not permitting, I carry a G19 or a Kahr PM9. No reservations about the 9mm, just prefer a 1911 platform. Oh yeah, and the tacticoolness of a full steel GI Joe gun with the hammer cocked and locked. Some boys never grow up.

I started with a 3.5" 1911 45,and now carry an M&P 45c,I also other guns in 9mm or 40 that I can carry if the need arises,smallest is a P 11
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Yea.....done it many times.....gone from 9mm to .45, back to 9mm....back to .38 special....but in general....I carry the 9mm or the .38 equally.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I almost exclusively carry 9mm, G26, Kel Tec pf9. I have carried Kec Tec 380 and I always felt under gunned. I really feel anything less than a 9mm should be reserved for backup duty, unless ultra deep concealment is your only option.

J.S.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Yep. I carried a couple of different .40 S&W's for several years. Carried a .45 for a short time, too.

Now I carry a snub .38 special. Easier to carry, easier to conceal when it's necessary, and it's enough to get me out of trouble.

The heavier/larger firearms got left in the truck once in a while, and they aren't much use there. I've carried and shot enough years to be confidant in my abilities with the .38 special.

I know, lots of gun folks recommend bigger guns, but I've known more than a few that resorted to a .38 special for their own EDC for general purposes. I have bigger guns if I feel a need, but the snub is always with me.

Daryl

My wife told me size doesn't matter, so I will stick with 9mm.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

I'm feeling good about my Kel-Tec P11 for reasons already mentioned here, including higher capacity, accurate, cheaper to practice, & what Gabe Suarez has to say about it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links