Anyone dropped down in caliber? - Page 3

Anyone dropped down in caliber?

This is a discussion on Anyone dropped down in caliber? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went from a Glock 27 (.40 S&W) down to a Glock 26 (9mm). More capacity and didn't have quite the bite when shooting. Exact ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone dropped down in caliber?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I went from a Glock 27 (.40 S&W) down to a Glock 26 (9mm). More capacity and didn't have quite the bite when shooting. Exact same sized gun.

Recently, I have been carrying just a Ruger LCP (.380) but that was because I was tired of carrying a heavy gun. Not sure if I will continue, but it sure is easier.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

The reason I asked what was considered "down" was that the 10MM is .40 caliber and, if bore size was the OP's criteria I went down. If fps was the consideration then I went up. If I buy a round for the 10MM that's loaded down to the .40 specs or below I can get below .45 in most stats. A 9MM is the same as .380 as .357 as .38 if your only concern is bore diameter.

I've carried a .45 1911 for many years. Recently I've fallen in love with the .357 Sig round and picked up a Glock 32 and 33. I'm learning the Glock platform. It still feels cheap and has a terrible trigger compared to my 1911s.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I'm switching from 9+1 .40 S&W to 13+1 9mm. The reason is obvious.

went from a ruger p345 .45 caliber "down" to a ruger security six .357 magnum as my EDC. that what you wanted to read? :-D

I was carrying a 1911 Government in .45 acp. With several malfunctions at the range, I decided I needed something more reliable.
    After much research and personal opinions from good people on forums such as this one, I decided on a G19. I chose it for the reliability, ammo capacity, size, weight, and 9mm is plenty good for SD. Now if I could just find some more practice ammo...

Joker1

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Now if I could just find some more practice ammo...

Joker1
    Dude,

Check your PMs.

Just depends on the day and the mood I'm in. Usually it's between 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 acp. What ever mood i'm in for the day is what I carry.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Started carrying a 1911, .45 ACP. Figured that was what Uncle Sam issued me oh-so-many-years-ago ... why not start carrying something I'm well familiar with.

Big mistake. I'm a skinny guy. Hard to conceal. Heavier than necessary. Big. Bulky. Uncomfortable.

It started spending a lot of time at home and in the trunk of the car, rather than on my person.

Now, and for 'bout the last 4 years, I've been carrying a Walther PPK/S and a Keltec as BUG -- both in .32 .

I know a lot of folks aren't confident in .32's ability to get the job done but ... you don't have to carry one so don't. The old standby rings true for me: The gun you actually carry is infinitely superior to the one you left at home because it was too heavy/bulky/inconvenient and hard to conceal.

I may have to let loose 4 or 5 shots where one or two withthe .45 would do the job ... but I'm AOK with that.

Once upon a time it was a serious (gut-check) compromise to move from .45 acp or .357 mag down to 9mm. It was not recommended by seasoned professionals and whole-heartedly resisted by life-and-death pistoleros. Some STILL feel that way. IMHO, the 9mm compromise is MUCH less extreme today. With techno-advances in consistant propellant & bullet performance, +P & +P+ availability, verifiable ballistics, and actual stopping-power statistics available...there's little left for the arm-chair experts to pontificate. Yep, I've stepped down from .45 acp hardball to Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P 9mm. And it doesn't bother me one bit.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I chose to lessen my EDC caliber

Nice PPS, by the way. ;) I have carried .45ACP, .45GAP & 40S&W as primary CCW calibers (not including my .44mag for hiking in Alaska). I now carry a full-sized 9mm as my primary CCW. I feel the performance of modern, high-pressure, hollowoint ammo (I use Speer Gold Dots) is quite capable of stopping any human threat I may encounter in a real world situation. I chose a full-sized pistol to make up for any caliber deficiencies (if they even exist) with capacity. The stock mag for my pistol is 18 rounds and I carry a b/u mag with 25rds (and flashlight) in an off-side holster. 43 rounds of 9mm in two magazines trumps any 7-14 round 1911 setup and is quicker on the follow-up shots due to diminished recoil. I will likely carry a smaller 9mm someday but for now, I feel well protected with my CZ75 SP-01 at my side.

I'm a firm believer in testing. There are people out there who will lobby for their favorite just because it's what they got. The old timers around here used to call it "dancin' with the one ya brung." I've always been a proponent of research (as far as it will take you) and experimentation from there. I've picked up road killed deer (fresh is prefferable), shot the heck out of them with everything from rifles to pistols to shotguns with slugs to #9 shot. When done the perforated deer make excellent coyote bait. I've also used hog heads bought from the local packing plants. Don't know if I brought this up before but you should be able to get the big heavy cow bones for free. There's no substitute for being satisfied that what you're packin' will get the job done and having a really good idea what it's going to do when you do your part. When shot placement is all you need to think about you're going to be a whole lot quicker.

When I first started carrying I was using a HK 40, as my primary. I switched to the 9mm, because my accuracy increased dramatically. Although my 9mm has more capacity, that was not the primary reason for the switch.
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

Outside of the usual forum debates, there really isn't that much practical difference between the duty/defensive standards.

As if given, the choice, anyone would rather be shot at by the competent with a 9mm in lieu of the incompetent with a .45acp.

And of those who come to realize that, many opt for size-efficient pistols chambered in 9mm; they're small enough to carry and big enough to fight with.
    God, country, family.

As mentioned above, I drop to 9mm in +p when carrying the BHP 9mm or the CZ75 both I feel comfortable with. The P11 will not shoot +p so, it is a BUG or "hideout gun".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links