Anyone dropped down in caliber? - Page 4

Anyone dropped down in caliber?

This is a discussion on Anyone dropped down in caliber? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-40-9-a.html I have no regrets going to a smaller caliber for EDC....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    HKR
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-40-9-a.html

I have no regrets going to a smaller caliber for EDC.

Distinguished Member
    Started out thinking I was going to carry a Walther P-22, went to a XD 9-mm sub-compact, great gun, my best shooter, but thicker than I like to carry, so ordered a K-T PF-9, thinner, easier, but because of my job it would not always work, so I went to a K-T P-3at hides well and after the LCP's became obtainable, I just had to have one of those.

Most every day I carry the P-3at. Do I feel under gunned, no, not normally, but when I hear the "bump in the night" I do wish for my XD.

Have no regrets, maybe some day I will, but I live in a low risk area.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Does dual carry count as a down grade in bullet size?

I carry my M&P9C during warmer weather and my 1911 or Baby Eagle .45ACP's in cooler weather.

Starting to favor the 9 now that I have some of the Hornady Critical Defense ammo. On the hunt to get some for the .45!

VIP Member
    In this thread I give my reasoning for going from carrying a 10mm to a 9mm. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-report.html

I don't carry the Witness 9mm any more. Now I carry a CZ 75BD in 9mm. The story of my change to the CZ is here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ort-added.html
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    In this thread I give my reasoning for going from carrying a 10mm to a 9mm. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-report.html

I don't carry the Witness 9mm any more. Now I carry a CZ 75BD in 9mm. The story of my change to the CZ is here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ort-added.html

Love the CZ's! Partly why I picked up the Baby EagleII. Have the CZ-52 and CZ-70 that are just wild products for their age.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I have shifted to 9mm almost exclusively. I still have .40's but they don't see anything but the range lately.

VIP Member
    QUOTE=Jumper2501;1253093]There are a million posts about people who have upgrader to larger rounds. After reading something online, I'm curious to know if anyone here has gone to a smaller caliber, and why (capacity, ease of concealment, ammo availability etc.). Thanks.

EDIT: I'm talking dropped down with your EDC, not do you carry something smaller on occasion.[/QUOTE]

Not really, since becomming an FFL I have bought more pistols than ever.

I was carrying 9mm Sigs. but now prefer 1911 customs.stainless_tle_rl_2.jpg
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If we go by bore diameter, well, then, yes. I used .45 ACP off and on from 1983 to 2002. 1991 into 1993, and 1997 to 2002, was 24/7 .45 ACP, for both duty and CC. During much of the 1980's, I used a .41 mag sixgun for both duty and CC. Currently, I use .40 for duty and CC, and .357 mag snubbies for back-up and some CC. I could have kept using "grandfathered" .45 ACP pistols for police duty, but voluntarily went with the currently standard .40 in 2002. My use of larger .357 sixguns, and a .45 ACP 1911, are very minimal these days. It makes sense, for several reasons, to carry on my own time the same thing I carry on duty.

Of course, the .357 is not a step down from .45 ACP in the areas of power/energy, so this is not a perfect comparison, but I used to regularly tote 4" .357 sixguns, and presently mostly just use the .357 mag in snubbies, so that is a step down in kinetic energy delivered to the target. I am also a bit less likely to have hot 125-grain ammo in the snubbies, often opting for the slightly less energetic Silvertips.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    My first carry gun was my .357 mag colt python 4". Carried it for 2 days before realized I'd rather have a Glock, so I down graded to 40 s&w. Python is just too heavy. My next gun will be a 9mm most likely, as I can shoot it fast(er) and (more) accurately and it's a large % cheaper to shoot.

Not saying I don't love the .40 tho.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I rock between 9mm & .38spl. Have a S&W model 19 .357magnum but it's darn near impossible to conceal considering it's size. I have never fired .45, .40 or 10mm, probably don't plan on it because what I have seems to do well for me.

As it has been said, "it's all about shot placement". A well placed .32, .380 or even a smaller caliber such as the weakling .25 can kill. A big dog might have a large bite, but unless it strikes a vital area, then it doesn't work as well.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I used to carry either a full size 1911 or a CZ97b. Now I carry a Glock 26 pretty much exclusively. Occasionally I will carry either a S&W Model 36 J frame or a S&W Model 19 2-1/2" but that's just for nostalgia.
    Question Everything!

tag
    Well, I haven't traded down but I have resisted the urge to trade up. After reading this forum and the "Hand cannon" is the only way to go idology I almost bought a larger caliber handgun.

I currently carry a 9x18 Makarov. Small, never fails to fire, has enough power to ruin your day and is easy to conceal.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

VIP Member
    I started in '79 with the Series 70 Gold Cup I'd been using in three gun competition. Then I went down to the Series 80 Combat Commander for the firing pin block. Now I'm down to the Ultra CDP. I got a PM40 for concealability, but it's too small, and the trigger just isn't like the Kimber's, so now it's my BUG instead of the P3-AT. I like snappy recoil, and I don't mind shooting a bit to get used to the recoil force cadence of a fast point stitch. I like the single action trigger for the brain stem shot. I guess I've gone down in caliber a few times, but I've always seemed to come back to the 45 for EDC. That said, I have a lot of respect for Cor Bon DPX in 380, 38 spl, 357, and especially 40 s&w.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

went from .45 to .40 and never looked back. round capacity was a big part in my decision.

Carried a 1911 .45 for many years but went to .40 when I got a Walther P99. I have a SW99 in .45 (same pistol different cal). I just like the .40 better and I like he DA first round with no safety, as opposed to the 1911.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links