Concealed Carry at Work (Office)

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry at Work (Office) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was told of an incident where a Weyerhaeuser employee was fired because someone saw his range bag inside his car that had a Sig ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry at Work (Office)

I was told of an incident where a Weyerhaeuser employee was fired because someone saw his range bag inside his car that had a Sig Sauer logo on it. Also, he had kept his ammo boxes on the seat. The car was in the parking lot on company property.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Why not just ask your employer if that policy applies to employees or just visiting personnel? That way you can get a defenitive answer without worring about the reprocussions of getting caught carring. JMO

I have to agree with Thumper.

If you don't like your employer's firearms policies, seek new employment.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

My company's policy is that there are no firearms on the company property, including vehicles. While I understand the @will work and everything, I'm really tired of hearing it's their property, when nobody appears to care that the car is my property and should not be subject. While I can ask visitors not to carry a weapon in my house, I don't expect them not to carry in their cars when they visit.

I don't agree with my employer demanding that I disarm for my commute to and from home because they don't want it in my car either. While I obey their rules, I'm going to start working on changing those rules because finding another job that would allow it and allow me to keep the benefits that I have (which are good) is really not possible. So I suck it up but they have basically removed my ability to defend myself on the commute as well.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Oldskoolfan, individual cases are nothing to make a sweeping statement about all permit holders from. There have been multiple studies on the number of felonies committed by permit holders and it comes down to like .5% of all permit holders. I am not sure on what the number of felons in society as a whole is but I am pretty sure the rate is higher than that. This actually pretty impressive considering permit holders have more laws to be aware of and worry about. Many of convictions are because the holder went into a non carry zone or failed to inform a police officer. Some of those cases the accused was probably aware they were breaking the law but I would wager there were a good number that just made a mistake and forgot the gun was in their glove box.

On a side note breaking corporate policy may be dishonest but it is not against the law.

Amen Oldskoolfan.
    As I see it, the CCW is for Personal Protection, mine and my family. I am not a roving cop or security guard.
    I'm almost as afraid of having to use it as what I am the reason for carrying. (should I ever.) I realize any actions will be scrutinized more so than the BG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    My company's policy is that there are no firearms on the company property, including vehicles. While I understand the @will work and everything, I'm really tired of hearing it's their property, when nobody appears to care that the car is my property and should not be subject. While I can ask visitors not to carry a weapon in my house, I don't expect them not to carry in their cars when they visit.
    No one is forcing you to park your vehicle on their property. You can park you vehicle outside of your company's property and still exercise your right to protect yourself when commuting.

situation at company I work for

The company I work for is a spin off of another company. The managers left the original and formed a new company.
    They basically copied the original employee handbook when they formed the new company for all policies such as vacation, sick leave etc. The old company had a provision stating that there were to be now firearms on the premises.
    Interesting though that in looking through the new employee handbook they did not include that page. There is no mention of firearms at all.

I figure it was not an intentional omission, so if I were to carry I would still keep it deep concealed.

I don't think I would risk my job carrying if I knew it was against company policy. I live in Michigan, the highest unemployment in the nation, approaching great depression levels, and I am to old to want to go looking for a new job.

My company policy says no one may carry or bring on the premises ANY "deadly weapons".

I am not going to be the local martyr for the Second Amendment and challenge it.

Of course, it's ridiculous - over three thousand Americans perished at the hand of box cutters used on airplanes. I know there are several box cutters in our mail room. I've seen them. The admin near me has a five-inch blade letter opener that looks just like a nice dagger. It's longer than my folder.

I know I'd be fired if I was caught with my ccw. Guaranteed. The company is headquartered in Utopia-loving California.

It's important to know these HR rules are in place simply to provide legal cover for the company in case of a lawsuit. Period. They really don't give a fig for employee safety and health. They just don't want to be sued.

Edited to add: they do care about health and safety in regards to employee productivity. At my company, I am sure they truly mean well. I was being a bit hyperbolic. However, my point still stands: the rules exist solely to protect the company.

If someone nuts up, brings in a gun, and shoots me, the company will say, "See, that guman violated our rules. Too bad for MadMac and his family, but we're here to let you know MadMac was doing the right thing being unarmed, and the bad guy was wrong. You can't sue us. Nyah, nyah."
    Last edited by MadMac; August 10th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.

If you live in the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals district you have something to go on as far as carrying in your car.

Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals Restores Ability to Keep Firearms in Vehicles at Work

The territorial jurisdiction of the Tenth Circuit includes the six states of Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah, plus those portions of the Yellowstone National Park extending into Montana and Idaho.

Oklahoma legalized it. Is it still legal in Florida? Seemed to be standing up in some of the articles I found. NC makes exception for car carry everywhere but at work. Obnoxious. I can have one in the car at the PD, courthouse, public buildings, but not at work. My boss told me he carries so I don't even ask. When you are coming and going from a dark truck lot in a sketchy part of town at all hours of the day and night, it's kind of a given around here. Would not risk it in the building though. Thats what the pepper spray and knife are for, non lethal option or non carry areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    As far as offering your boss the cost of an armed guard or doing it for free, you are not a security guard in your role as a janitor. You are not licensed for that or bonded for that while in this role. Why not just offer your boss an ultimatum, either I carry or I find new employment?
    I wasn't meaning to offer services as a security guard, rather to enlighten my boss as to the cost of providing my protection in a dangerous environment; Protection that I already have as provisioned in the second amendment and my CCP, that I already exercise in that environment for free. I'm not the only one who works for him in this capacity, many of hie employees are young single females who are just as at risk for their safety too.

I do not want to provide security of the building or it's contents. I agree I would need bonding and insurance to do such a thing. (Not happening.)

My thoughts apply to any work environment. Do employers truly provide a secure environment where a guarantee of safety can be made? In a few places it can come close, but only I can be responsible for my personal protection.
    Just ask the Supreme Court.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    This has been discussed (even argued) many times here.
    To me it really boils down to your personal ethics/morality.

My personal view is that if I have agreed to obey a companies rules as a condition of employment, then my word is my bond. I do not believe in situational ethics. To break my word is not an option and if I feel that their rule(s) puts my life in danger then I will resign and seek work elsewhere. If I choose to remain, I will do so in complete compliance with the agreement that I agreed to in order to be employed, simple as that.
    100% agree.
    Jerry

I'm glad to say that I work for a medium sized corporation that is keenly aware that several employees carry on a daily basis. The general policy is keep it concealed and it's not a problem. Several of us have gotten together to go shooting after work on many occasions. I even taught my VPs wife to shoot last time we went out after work!!!

If you ask about it, expect to be on the short list for termination. We forget how scared many people are of guns. Carry or don't, but unless you're close -- really close -- to the boss, don't say a word.

Carry a knife and learn some self defense techniques if not formal martial arts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links