Concealed Carry at Work (Office) - Page 3

Concealed Carry at Work (Office)

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry at Work (Office) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by natticarry On a side note breaking corporate policy may be dishonest but it is not against the law. But they'll lose their ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealed Carry at Work (Office)

Quote Originally Posted by natticarry View Post
    On a side note breaking corporate policy may be dishonest but it is not against the law.
    But they'll lose their job, which may be the best job they ever had.

I know of a guy who was nearing retirement, and got caught with a firearm at his place of work. He was promptly fired, and lost all the retirement benefits he would've gotten.

Almost twenty years down the drain, with nothing to show for it.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    But they'll lose their job, which may be the best job they ever had.

I know of a guy who was nearing retirement, and got caught with a firearm at his place of work. He was promptly fired, and lost all the retirement benefits he would've gotten.

Almost twenty years down the drain, with nothing to show for it.
    Good anecdote. It's all about personal risk management.

I don't carry at work because I have a well-paying job I love, a company that precludes me from carrying on the premises, and a great insurance/healthcare package.

My kids are grown and on their own. If I am whacked at work, my wife will get a beautiful house (paid off), two more rental properties, a couple million in insurance and a chance to find a better man than me.

I carry when I can, but I am also realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    Amen Oldskoolfan.
    As I see it, the CCW is for Personal Protection, mine and my family. I am not a roving cop or security guard.
    I'm almost as afraid of having to use it as what I am the reason for carrying. (should I ever.) I realize any actions will be scrutinized more so than the BG's.
    What does that have to do with agreeing to do one thing while doing another?

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    I wasn't meaning to offer services as a security guard, rather to enlighten my boss as to the cost of providing my protection in a dangerous environment; Protection that I already have as provisioned in the second amendment and my CCP, that I already exercise in that environment for free. I'm not the only one who works for him in this capacity, many of hie employees are young single females who are just as at risk for their safety too.

I do not want to provide security of the building or it's contents. I agree I would need bonding and insurance to do such a thing. (Not happening.)

My thoughts apply to any work environment. Do employers truly provide a secure environment where a guarantee of safety can be made? In a few places it can come close, but only I can be responsible for my personal protection.
    Just ask the Supreme Court.
    Why not quit and start your own company where you can provide adequate security? You are trying to rationalize breaking rules and breaking your word.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Do you have the factual source for that statement? Curious...
    Well lets examine this. A CCWer by definition has to have no convictions and be law abiding. RIght?

By definition law abiding citizens are law abiding, just as CCWers are required to be. Felons are non law abiding and therefore ineligible for a CCW. So if you ban felons from the pool of people eligible for a CCW (including those who have CCWs) you will find that the generally law abiding people without a CCW are just as law abiding as those who are.

As the Florida CCW crowd here knows, Florida finally passed legislation that created the protection we needed to over ride any employer mandated rules on a weapon locked in our vehilce on company premises, either at work or as a visitor.

Move to Florida and you won't have the problem!
    Bag Man
    Hobbyist Gunsmith
    www.concealedcarrybags.com
    Concealed Carry Bags
    "We Conceal it, You Carry it"

I am always surprised that some would risk losing their jobs over some illogical fear of getting shot by a BG. It would be interesting to know from some who think they work in an environment so dangerous they need to carry how many attacks have taken place in the last year or two?

Unless it is the post office or someplace where a distraught husband/boyfriend went after his girl friend the answer would be zero. Yet in these days of fewer jobs than people who want them some would lose it because they cannot carry.
    I, for one, would not work for a company with a job so dangerous I would risk losing the job because I could not carry.

But if one believed that he must carry for his personal safety I still say he should quit the job rather than be dishonest. Hope it would not mean sleeping under a highway bridge. Now that would be dangerous.

Regards,
    Jerry

In Kansas a employer can not restrict an employee from the carrying of or storing of a firearm in that employees private means of conveyance. The company I work for has the no firearms policy like many companies do but legeally there is nothing they can do about me storing a firearm in my car, in the parking lot.

However, the Employer can restrict an employee or vistor from bringing the firearm into the building. This is in the company policy and I can be terminated for that. Also, this company has chosen to post the Kansas Attorney Genrals approved signage at all the entrances, so if caught carrying inside the building I would be subject to criminal charges from the state of kansas.

Would I try carrying into the building?...Hell no. I don't want to lose my job nor get arrested. If for some reason, someone found out I had a firearm in my car and the company tried to fire me, I would probably sue as they would be voilating the law.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I am always surprised that some would risk losing their jobs over some illogical fear of getting shot by a BG. It would be interesting to know from some who think they work in an environment so dangerous they need to carry how many attacks have taken place in the last year or two?

Unless it is the post office or someplace where a distraught husband/boyfriend went after his girl friend the answer would be zero. Yet in these days of fewer jobs than people who want them some would lose it because they cannot carry.
    I, for one, would not work for a company with a job so dangerous I would risk losing the job because I could not carry.

But if one believed that he must carry for his personal safety I still say he should quit the job rather than be dishonest. Hope it would not mean sleeping under a highway bridge. Now that would be dangerous.

Regards,
    Jerry
    1994, company closing, 30+ year employee brought his .357 to work to shoot the team members brought in to break up the company. Some co-workers talked him out of it.
    1996, fired employee is spotted sitting in his pick up loading a shotgun. Whatever changed his mind, he left well before the police arrived. He thought there was a conspiracy against him by other employees and supervisors.
    2000, a long term disabled employee returned to our place of work after losing appeals to his claims. Blamed me personally for taking his job. I'd worked there for 3 years at the time and had no idea who he was. He was fired a few weeks after returning for falsifying new claims. Called in after his insurance was cancelled threatening to blow us all away. I was a bit worried about being a target that time. We locked the place down and called the cops. He was spotted driving through the area but never showed.

Most work place shootings I've heard about did NOT occur at the P.O. or a high risk environment.
    I don't work in a high risk field at all. There were no attacks but the threats were very real and plausible. I'm always surprised at the illogical comfort that some feel just because it has never happened to them or that the chances are so small, it's not worth worrying about. Could be said of many public places so why carry at all?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Bag Man View Post
    As the Florida CCW crowd here knows, Florida finally passed legislation that created the protection we needed to over ride any employer mandated rules on a weapon locked in our vehilce on company premises, either at work or as a visitor.
    A visitor in FL with a valid FL CWP has always had a legal right to carry on employer property in Florida. The law you reference has not enhanced that right as a visitor of a private business.

Bang!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links