Concealed Carry at Work (Office)

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry at Work (Office) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My company has a "policy" against firearms on company property. I believe that for visitors, all it means is that the person will be asked ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry at Work (Office)

Concealed Carry at Work (Office)

My company has a "policy" against firearms on company property. I believe that for visitors, all it means is that the person will be asked to leave, and if they don't leave they can be charged with trespassing. BUT, what about an employee? I know that employers can "fire at-will" for anything, but employees can also "sue at-will". I'm just wondering if a person who was terminated (or even disciplined) because of the "no firearms on company property" policy would hold up if challenged?

2. Remove Ads

I think as private property, they have a right to tell you not to carry, and punish you according to company policy. They have no obligation to the Bill of Rights.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Count on it: you'll be fired, and you will have no recourse.

If your concern for self-defense via firearm exceeds your concern for self-defense via food and rent money, you have your answer. It isn't illegal, and what you signed when you started work (or what you agree to by staying) is that IF they catch you with a firearm, THEN they have every right to terminate you. And keeping 100% concealed is certainly possible, but the cost of being "outed" is higher in this case than in many.

The risk to my family isn't worth it to me. Might be to you or someone else.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    This has been discussed (even argued) many times here.
    To me it really boils down to your personal ethics/morality.

My personal view is that if I have agreed to obey a companies rules as a condition of employment, then my word is my bond. I do not believe in situational ethics. To break my word is not an option and if I feel that their rule(s) puts my life in danger then I will resign and seek work elsewhere. If I choose to remain, I will do so in complete compliance with the agreement that I agreed to in order to be employed, simple as that.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomChemEngin View Post
    My company has a "policy" against firearms on company property. I believe that for visitors, all it means is that the person will be asked to leave, and if they don't leave they can be charged with trespassing. BUT, what about an employee? I know that employers can "fire at-will" for anything, but employees can also "sue at-will". I'm just wondering if a person who was terminated (or even disciplined) because of the "no firearms on company property" policy would hold up if challenged?
    If your company has a written policy that guns are not allowed on their property it is a term of employment that you agreed to when hired. If you violate those terms your subject to termination. While you might find a lawyer who would take the case, I doubt you'd find a jury that would rule in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If your company has a written policy that guns are not allowed on their property it is a term of employment that you agreed to when hired. If you violate those terms your subject to termination. While you might find a lawyer who would take the case, I doubt you'd find a jury that would rule in your favor.
    If you do find a lawyer that would take that case, don't hire that lawyer. You would have no case.

I'm pretty much with Thumper on this.

I have a little situation were I am doing some work for a friend, janitorial work that only pays $10.00/hr and only gets 8 hrs a week, so I haven't got much to lose there. So when I was presented with documents to sign including the typical "no firearms" policy, I "lost" those pages and never signed them.
    It has been two months since and no mention of it has been made.

I'm not sure how I would deal with it if pressed to sign, except to say that being in a large building open to the public that only locks automatically by computer at a late hour (9;00 pm) and working late into the night all alone in that large facility is not a place to be un-armed.
    I would offer him the cost of an armed guard to follow me around all night, or just let me do it for free.

It's not my main source of income though so my situation does not really compare with yours.

I'd say, keep it in the car in the parking lot and re-arm when you go home.
    That's what I did for years, back when I was fully employed.

Carry on
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Seems like a common answer. Thanks!

It is dishonest to do so.

Why not ask your boss if you can carry?

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    I'm pretty much with Thumper on this.

I have a little situation were I am doing some work for a friend, janitorial work that only pays $10.00/hr and only gets 8 hrs a week, so I haven't got much to lose there. So when I was presented with documents to sign including the typical "no firearms" policy, I "lost" those pages and never signed them.
    It has been two months since and no mention of it has been made.

I'm not sure how I would deal with it if pressed to sign, except to say that being in a large building open to the public that only locks automatically by computer at a late hour (9;00 pm) and working late into the night all alone in that large facility is not a place to be un-armed.
    I would offer him the cost of an armed guard to follow me around all night, or just let me do it for free.

It's not my main source of income though so my situation does not really compare with yours.

I'd say, keep it in the car in the parking lot and re-arm when you go home.
    That's what I did for years, back when I was fully employed.

Carry on
    And you will still be fired even though "you lost those pages" as it is your responsibility.

As far as offering your boss the cost of an armed guard or doing it for free, you are not a security guard in your role as a janitor. You are not licensed for that or bonded for that while in this role. Why not just offer your boss an ultimatum, either I carry or I find new employment?

This is why I have a problem with statements that sound like "CCWers are more law abiding or better people" because it is simply not true. They are just people who have chosen to carry a firearm legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    This is why I have a problem with statements that sound like "CCWers are more law abiding or better people" because it is simply not true.

Do you have the factual source for that statement? Curious...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm with Thumper on this one. My company has a policy against it, so I agree until I can change the policy or the job. I just increase my awareness and what is around me that can be used as a defensive weapon should the situation arise.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    This has been discussed (even argued) many times here.
    To me it really boils down to your personal ethics/morality.

My personal view is that if I have agreed to obey a companies rules as a condition of employment, then my word is my bond. I do not believe in situational ethics. To break my word is not an option and if I feel that their rule(s) puts my life in danger then I will resign and seek work elsewhere. If I choose to remain, I will do so in complete compliance with the agreement that I agreed to in order to be employed, simple as that.
    Exactly where I was at during the time in my career after shall issue came to my state...didn't like the corporate policy prohibiting carry, but played by the rules.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Do you have the factual source for that statement? Curious...
    Well I do know that the recent mall shooter was a permit holder. I also did post another thread about two CCWers who were involved in an incident in Boise. One impersonated the police. I would also offer an article up about Florida issuing permits to felons.

Link to Article

If you look at the statement it is bad from the getgo. To be a permit holder one eliminates felons automatically as they are not eligible for a permit. A permit holder is no different than a non-felon law abiding citizen who is not a permit holder. That is all.

To the original poster, why not just ask your boss if you can carry at work? What is the worst that could happen?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links