Public CCW exposure question

This is a discussion on Public CCW exposure question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK now that I'm carrying I had a few issues come up in my head as i went through my weekend in my mind. First ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK now that I'm carrying I had a few issues come up in my head as i went through my weekend in my mind. First is Something that has probably already been discussed. If you have your gun on your belt whether it is IWB or OWB and you have to use a public restroom and go #2... the person in the stall next to you can probably see your firearm and or be able to reach under and grab it. While the grabbing is probably not ever going to happen but it would definitely get my attention if I saw that on the belt of a guy next to me and I was not as gun savvy as I am now.

What do you do to avoid that? not use the restroom in public??

And the second is. I have recently joined the gym and pool. In the locker room men pretty much walk around naked without much in the way of privacy. Now I carry OWB and it would be kinda hard to hide it while taking off my shirt. What do you guys do? Go about your business knowing that your legal and there is nothing they can do about it. Or put it in the locker as quickly as possible?

I know these are pretty common sense answers but i guess i just wanted to know what your take was on it.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I remove my holster and pistol then hold them while using the restroom in public. As for the gym, I would just leave it at home unless you know the owner and other patrons really well. A gym locker is not secure enough for storage of a loaded weapon IMO, especially not when people can see you put it there.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    In a restroom, I take off the holster and firearm and hang in stall on hook or hold the firearm, it doesn't go on the floor. For the gym, I keep a case in the car and leave in car. I do not trust the gym lockers and do not want the added "exposure" to my ccw decision.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

As for the restroom, just keep your beltline up by your knees, spreading your legs apart to put tension on the pants and keeping your pants up. No one should be able to see it from an adjacent stall, though if someone looked carefully through the door crack they could possibly see it. If this is a concern, take a bit of toilet paper and drape it over the gun. And yell at anyone who looks at you while you're on the can!

As for the locker room, when I am going to the gym I take my gun in a safepacker, and put it in my gym bag in the locker. Yes, I know that a padlock is not all that secure, and I wouldn't do this in a gym where theft was common, but my gym is safe. When I finish working out & showering I either just use the safepacker, or take all my kit into the stall and put the holster on my belt and put the gun in, in there. I hope that makes sense.

You can also disarm in a stall. When you unload, flush the toilet just before you do so you muffle the sound of the racking slide. Be DARN sure, as always, that you are pointing in a safe direction.

Also be aware that most negligent discharges happen during re-holstering. This is a time to slow down and pay close attention to what you are doing.

Anyway that's what I do.

VIP Member
    In the bathroom I take it off and put in on the paper holder or the back of the toilet.

As for the gym, locker break-ins are more common than most people know. The locks are usually flimsy and can easily be broken or cut. I always leave it in the car, but be sure there's nothing visible that someone would break into the car to get. The BG will break into the car and accidentally find the gun.

Be safe.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Stryder is dead on for public restrooms , not only does his method keep it out of prying eyes but belive me you wont forget your gun in the stall that way . Imho any method that seperates you from your gun is a mistake . hang it on the hook , well folks guns have been stolen ( with dutybelt and radio ) from there as one downside , also folks have had ND from catching the trigger on the hook as they remove it when done . put it on the tank ect.. damm every month or two we see storys of LE officers who left the dammed thing there when they left the bathroom ( ususaly in heavy anti gun states lol ) leave the dammed thing in the holster or nest it in the crotch of your pants , i personaly nest it , then tuck it under my offside armpit as i pull my pants back up , then reholster .. hope that little rant helps ya lol

Thanks guys These have helped me. I think ill leave the gun in the car when at the gym and when in the potty ill take it off and hang it on the hook. I totally diddnt think about that.. LOL sometimes it takes a fresh prespective. Thanks guys!! and sorry for the dumb questions.
    I carry because I care.
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Assistant Administrator
    Stryder again +1. Indeed keep pants tight between knees and rest piece inside underwear for duration. Guns can fall off paper holders!

One word too - no two - ''subterfuge'' and ''ingenuity'' . Give the problem some thought and in given circumstances, type of clothing, stall position etc etc - think creatively - there is always an answer that both safeguards the gun, your dignity and no one sees!!!

Be careful tho reholstering - casual buddy of mine a year or so ago reholstered so carelessly that he missed the rig, dropped the gun into comode and bust the thing!! Yes - it broke and water poured out!! It was in his home fortunately but he had to call the plummer

Oh BTW - hanging gun on hook - usually weight will be favorable so weight taken on trigger guard front but - CARE - I have a feeling this could in some situations be an ND waiting to happen.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I didn't think they were 'dumb' questions, Gelicious! I wondered the exact same thing regarding rest rooms. It seems that I can't step foot in my local Krogers without having to use the can..Oops, sorry, TMI!
    I'd personally keep my pants up to my knees as suggested or hold my weapon. I wouldn't personally feel comfortable putting it on the hook behind the door or laying it down on the tank top. Comfort level!

Public exposure questions

It seems you have the answers for the public restroom stalls. The Gym issue is one I thought real hard about when I first got my CCW. I am not allowed to bring my gun into work, post office, federal buildings among other places. What I did was to buy the DAC gun safe with extra mount plates. My car has a lockable back seat that folds forward. I mounted the safe in the trunk facing the back of the rear seat. It is push button combo lock or key. When approaching my destination I place my gun in the backseat under a jacket. Then I get out and open the back door, flip the seat forward and place the gun in the safe, I then lock the seat. This works really well if you do it fast and smooth it just looks like your grabbing your gym bag or jacket. I also bought extra mount plates for the motorhome because the gun is either on my side in my control or in a safe. You can just move the safe from car to car or motorhome.

The safe is a DAC sport safe and it is great it cost about 90.00, my wife bought it for me for valentines day. Never leave your gun in a public locker room. Hope this helps.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Yeah you guys have been very helpfull thanks again guys!
    I carry because I care.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I usually wear a shoulder holder, so the restroom is no big deal. When I carry IWB I keep the belt up by my knees as described.

In the gym I use a restroom stall to take off the holder and put it in my gym bag, then stuff gym bag in the locker.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

We just have to pay attention to what were doing. Its not like were
    carrying Toys, Sounds simple but its deadly serious.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My key ring has a mini-caribiner on it, and if you have a strong cord around your neck, as in neck knife, you can safely hang the gun by the trigger guard, (behind the trigger!), long enough to take care of things, and then tuck your shirt in. If you don't carry a neck knife, maybe a badge or ID holder, or the cord from your stopwatch. Look around your car or shooting bag, probably something there.

No-one's going to reach over the door and grab it that way, nor will you forget it!

I'm with Rugerman, I use the car safe, but don't trust the flimsey plates and latches. I use a 3/8" bicycle locking cable clamped by hard u-bolts, fasteners inside the safe. This way I can move the safe a bit, or to another spot if cargo management requires it.

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

I'm with P95carry. I keep pants up high and put gun in underwear. This keeps both out of sight and in reach as well as making sure you won't leave it in the stall. As for the gym, I would either leave it in the car(secured) or remove it in the car and stick it in gym bag to bring in with me and lock in locker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links