Anyone got an Alabama Permit?

This is a discussion on Anyone got an Alabama Permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about relocating to Alabama to study Yoshinkan Aikido (aren't any dojos in my area) and saw that they are a May Issue state. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got an Alabama Permit?

I'm thinking about relocating to Alabama to study Yoshinkan Aikido (aren't any dojos in my area) and saw that they are a May Issue state. I won't be going for a couple of years, but I like to think ahead :P

What is an acceptable reason for carrying a pistol in the minds of the Alabama Government? Is the Sheriff in Jefferson County (that's where I'll be living) anti-carry?
    Last edited by BRTCP88; August 10th, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Not too sure with AL. Never knew there was a demand for Aikido in the southern state of AL. either. Good luck with both..

They're considered a "reasonably issue" discretionary state, meaning as long as your stuff checks out OK, you'll probably get the permit. They also have reciprocity with FL among others, so carrying there isn't a big deal.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    They're considered a "reasonably issue" discretionary state, meaning as long as your stuff checks out OK, you'll probably get the permit. They also have reciprocity with FL among others, so carrying there isn't a big deal.
    Don't know, but the FL or Pennsylvania options are open. I would go with PA because it is faster and cheaper. There are other states that issue non-resident, but why not cross that bridge when you come to it?

25.00 bucks and a clean background check and you will have your permit in a
    a couple of weeks
    If you get down here look me up , I hold a 3rd degree in Hap Ki Do and would
    love to do some cross training.
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

I just checked the Jefferson county sheriffs web site thier permit cost is 7.50
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    ...but why not cross that bridge when you come to it?
    That's what my Mom says too :P I'm just a planer, I plan things too death, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    But don't you have to get an in-state license after living there for so many days?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    Not too sure with AL. Never knew there was a demand for Aikido in the southern state of AL. either. Good luck with both..
    Yeah, they have a Dojo in Hoover, AL.

USA Martial Arts: Aikido, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kobudo, Iaido, Self Defense. Birmingham, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by mjmoore View Post
    25.00 bucks and a clean background check and you will have your permit in a
    a couple of weeks
    If you get down here look me up , I hold a 3rd degree in Hap Ki Do and would
    love to do some cross training.
    Cool.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

I put "Self Defense" on my application, paid $20 (Elmore County) and had my CHL in 10 minutes.

A friend of mine is in the State Legislature and is going to try and bring up a bill changing AL to a must issue, open carry state. Also change the law to allow carry in state parks. Maybe we can it passed this next year.

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    I put "Self Defense" on my application, paid $20 (Elmore County) and had my CHL in 10 minutes.

A friend of mine is in the State Legislature and is going to try and bring up a bill changing AL to a must issue, open carry state. Also change the law to allow carry in state parks. Maybe we can it passed this next year.

MT
    That would be awesome.

Yeah I got mine in sumter county. Paid $15 said for self defense and if they were going to be open longer i probably would have got it that day but i had to come back monday because the sheriff was busy. It's pretty easy to get a permit in alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post

MT
    I thought AL was already an open carry state. I haven't read where it says you can't carry in state parks. Could you show me where it says that? I like to stay on top my my laws

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Here are some links, Sheriffs issue licenses and set restrictions on where you can carry.

NRA
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ALSL.pdf

Handgun Law US
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf

License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
    Alabama State Law
    Code Of Alabama

Go to (Title 13A Chapter 11 Article 3) for specific state laws.

Section 13A-11-52
    Carrying pistol on premises not his own; who may carry pistol.
    Except as otherwise provided in this article, no person shall carry a pistol about his person on premises not his own or under his control; but this section shall not apply to any sheriff or his deputy or police officer of an incorporated town or city in the lawful discharge of the duties of his office, or to United States marshal or his deputies, rural free delivery mail carriers in the discharge of their duties as such, bonded constables in the discharge of their duties as such, conductors, railway mail clerks and express messengers in the discharge of their duties.

Section 13A-11-59
    Possession of firearms by persons participating in, attending, etc., demonstrations at public places.
    (a) For the purposes of this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this subsection, except in those instances where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
    (1) DEMONSTRATION. Demonstrating, picketing, speechmaking or marching, holding of vigils and all other like forms of conduct which involve the communication or expression of views or grievances engaged in by one or more persons, the conduct of which has the effect, intent or propensity to draw a crowd or onlookers. Such term shall not include casual use of property by visitors or tourists which does not have an intent or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.
    (2) FIREARM. Any pistol, rifle, shotgun or firearm of any kind, whether loaded or not.
    (3) LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. Any duly appointed and acting federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement officer, peace officer or investigating officer, or any military or militia personnel called out or directed by constituted authority to keep the law and order, and any park ranger while acting as such on the grounds of a public park and who is on regular duty and present to actively police and control the demonstration, and who is assigned this duty by his department or agency. Such term does not include a peace officer on strike or a peace officer not on duty.
    (4) PUBLIC PLACE. Any place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment or other lawful purpose, but does not necessarily mean a place devoted solely to the uses of the public. Such term shall include the front or immediate area or parking lot of any store, shop, restaurant, tavern, shopping center or other place of business. Such term shall also include any public building, the grounds of any public building, or within the curtilage of any public building, or in any public parking lot, public street, right-of-way, sidewalk right-of-way, or within any public park or other public grounds.
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to have in his or her possession or on his or her person or in any vehicle any firearm while participating in or attending any demonstration being held at a public place.
    (c) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer as defined in subsection (a) of this section, to have in his or her possession or about his or her person or in any vehicle at a point within 1,000 feet of a demonstration at a public place, any firearm after having first been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration was taking place at a public place and after having been ordered by such officer to remove himself or herself from the prescribed area until such time as he or she no longer was in possession of any firearm. This subsection shall not apply to any person in possession of or having on his or her person any firearm within a private dwelling or other private building or structure.
    (d) Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished as provided by law.

Jefferson Sheriff’s Office
    Jefferson County Sheriff's Office

Jefferson Pistol Permits
    Jefferson County Sheriff's Office

You must present a completed application along with a check or money order at the sheriff's office to receive a Pistol License.

> Fill Out Your Application
    > Print out a blank pistol permit application.
    1. Who may obtain a Pistol License?
    Alabama State Code 13A - 11 - 70 et., seq. (1975)provides that the Sheriff of a county may issue a qualified or unlimited license to a person residing in the county, and is a suitable person to be licensed. Mike Hale is the Sheriff of Jefferson County.
    2. Who may not obtain a pistol license?
    There are many people who cannot obtain a pistol license. Most of these are prohibited because of certain State and Federal Laws. All the Laws contained in this question are contained in the Alabama State Code and in the Gun Control Act of 1968. The people who cannot obtain a pistol license are as follows:

1. No person who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence;
    2. No person who is a Drug Addict;
    3. No person who is a habitual drunkard;
    4. No person convicted of a felony or any degree of theft;
    5. No person discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions;
    6. No person who has been adjudged by a court as mentally incompetent;
    7. No citizen of the United States who has renounced his citizenship;
    8. No person convicted of the Family Violence Act, even though the charge may be a misdemeanor;
    9. No person illegally or unlawfully in the United States;
    10. No person who has been convicted of an offense involving firearms;
    11. No person who has been convicted of an offense involving explosives;
    12. No person who is not deemed suitable or proper by the Sheriff’s Office.
    3. What are the age requirements to obtain a pistol permit?
    It is the policy that a license will not be issued to anyone under the age of 21.
    4. May a pistol License be revoked?
    Yes, Title 13A-11-75 of the State Law provides that the Sheriff may revoke a license.
    5. Is the license valid in other counties?
    Yes, Title 13A-11-75 of the State Law says the license is valid within all the counties of the state.
    6. How can a pistol license be renewed?
    Mail or bring the renewal card or pistol license, along with $7.50, to one of our three satellite offices.
    1. Sheriff's Headquarters 2200 8th Avenue North, Birmingham, AL 35203
    2. Bessemer Sheriff’s Office 1826 2nd Avenue North, Bessemer, AL 35020
    3. Centerpoint Substation 2651 Centerpoint Road, Birmingham, AL 35215
    7. What is the cost of a Pistol License?
    $7.50
    8. Where do you obtain an application for a Pistol Permit?
    1. Download an application.
    >Fill Out Your Application
    >Print out a blank pistol permit application.
    2. Sheriff's Headquarters 2200 8th Avenue North, Birmingham, AL 35203
    3. Bessemer Sheriff’s Office 1826 2nd Avenue North, Bessemer, AL 35020
    4. Centerpoint Substation 2651 Centerpoint Road, Birmingham, AL 35215
    9. Will I be investigated if I make an application to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department for a pistol License?
    Yes, we will make an investigation.
    1. We will check to see if you have a previous arrest record.
    2. You must list three references on your application and give their telephone numbers.
    3. We will make any other investigation as necessary.
    10. Office Hours are form 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
    The phone numbers are:
    Downtown Office – 325-5728
    Centerpoint Office – 856-8800
    Bessemer Office – 481-4201
    Pistol Permits - Reciprocity
    In 2001, the State of Alabama passed legislation recognizing handgun licenses issued by other states provided that state would recognize Alabama's pistol license. This allows residents of the State of Alabama who have a valid pistol permit to carry their weapon in any of these states, and also authorizes persons from these states to carry a pistol in Alabama.
    > View Reciprocity States (.PDF)
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Bama's a bit of an oddity in that the sheriff when he issues the permit can place any restrictions that he wishes on it. Restrictions placed on it must be obeyed not only in the issuing county, but all counties. Permits are only valid for a year.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf

See on my permit I have no restrictions printed on it and was not told of any restrictions. From what I understood the only restrictions i had were the ones in the state code

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    I thought AL was already an open carry state. I haven't read where it says you can't carry in state parks. Could you show me where it says that? I like to stay on top my my laws
    Carry in state parks is not legal. I'm at work and don't have time to search for the code but it is Alabama code 220-5-08 if you want to check it out.
    NRA life member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links