Carrying BUG's - Page 4

Carrying BUG's

This is a discussion on Carrying BUG's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Strong side Front pocket P-32, mainly for access without detection. Also carry backup mag for primary in weak side front or back pocket. EDC IWB ...

View Poll Results: How many BUG's

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

131 60.93%
  • One

80 37.21%
  • Two or More

4 1.86%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying BUG's

cmb
    Strong side Front pocket P-32, mainly for access without detection. Also carry backup mag for primary in weak side front or back pocket. EDC IWB strong side 3:30.

kpw
    Weak side front pocket, P32 or Tomcat. Thinking about an LCP.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I voted no. I dont even carry any extra mags. Im going to fix that soon.

Well my primary gun has a 17+1 9mm capacity. I figure if I can't solve the problem with 18 Corbons, then I have way more issues than having a backup gun.

sddykstr:

With all due respect, the issue with a BUG is not necessarily because you run out of rounds. Many carry a BUG for situations where your primary weapon has suddenly become unavailable, such as if it fails to fire, or if you are in a situation where it has been taken away from you, or any other situation where you cannot get to your primary.

That is why I am considering it...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I respect the decision to do that. I understand there are circumstances aplenty that would warrant or call for a bug, but admittedly, I'm okay with being unprepared for that. If it fails for some reason, I'll run through the failure drills in about the same time it would take me to grab my bug. If it's taken from me, I think I'm kinda boned anyway.

Either way, to each their own, more power to you if you want to carry more than one gun.

VIP Member
    Wife stole my P3-AT BUG because it was lighter than her NAA 380 Guardian. Wait 'till she shoots it! So, I got a PM40 to replace it in my off side back pocket. EDC is strong side IWB, spare mag rides behind cell phone on off side belt. Flashlight and ID in off side front pocket. Knife and keys in strong front pocket. Now, what to put in strong side back pocket? Israeli Battle Dressing (IBD can be used as a tourniquet) in blow out kit!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

A Big Thank You

Your responses help me gain a lot of insight for my own decision making in a very short period.

Thank you.

a Beretta 22 modal 21a in a pocket holster front weak side pocket.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Virginia's laws discourage me from carrying a BUG. Since it is illegal to carry a concealed firearm into an alcohol-serving restaurant, I have to switch to open carry of the primary weapon. I just can't see switching both the primary and backup guns to open carry, so I carry a Glock G23 and one spare magazine.

I expect that restaurant law to change this year, and I may start carrying a Berretta Tomcat in an ankle holster when I wear long pants.

VIP Member
    I didn't vote in poll since I'm LEO.
    However, I had my CHL for a few years before getting the badge. I hardly ever carried a BUG. On occasion it was the Keltec P11 in a jacket pocket with my primary G30 IWB. I think I can count on both hands the number of times I did that though.
    Now as LEO, I'm carrying the Keltec as my BUG strapped to vest under left arm.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Very rarely anymore. I have gotten complacent and mainly carry a Ruger LCR (sometimes a J frame) with one or two reloads. I used to carry a J frame as a back up either in my support side front pants pocket or during the colder months in my strong side jacket / vest pocket. Last winter I just moved my J frame & pocket holster from the strong side jacket pocket to my strong side pants pocket if I needed to remove the jacket.

I just ordered a Simply Rugged Sourdough holster for my 3" GP100 and if that works well I'll probably keep carrying the little guys thus carrying a BUG again. Of course I could have been carrying two 5 shot revolvers all along so we'll see...

Bought a Kel Tec P3AT as back up gun and after shooting it, it wound up being my carry. If I feel the need to move up in caliber will do so and P3AT will move to back up gun.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I never have carried a BUG in the past. However, I just recently bought a Keltec P3AT and intend to start doing so.
    I read an interesting article in the Concealed Carry magazine about accessing a BUG with your left (or non-dominant) hand if your right hand is not able to function. It made sense to me, so I'm going to try out carrying the P3AT on my left side as a BUG.
    Wisdom of the Older Gunner:
    To carry a firearm and not have to use it is a blessing
    To not carry a firearm and need one is avoidable and sometimes fatal stupidity

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    M&P 45c w/9X hornaday TAP + backup mag = primary
    340PD with 5X federal hydra shock .357 = BUG

I don't always carry BUG usually only when I'm going some place/town/city with a layout I'm not familiar with. Somtimes the 340PD becomes my primary if I must pocket/mexican carry.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links