Concealed S&W 500 4" - Page 3

Concealed S&W 500 4"

This is a discussion on Concealed S&W 500 4" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll calculate the recoil. First is a 642 with a hot +p load, the 158gr LSWC. Generally considered the upper limit of what folks can ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Concealed S&W 500 4"

I'll calculate the recoil. First is a 642 with a hot +p load, the 158gr LSWC. Generally considered the upper limit of what folks can control in .38 airweights. The recoil energy is 10.4 Ft/lbs at .8 lb/sec. With the Nyclad, a great non +p defense load, it goes to 7.2 Ft/lbs at .7 lb/sec. Many find the .357 mag uncomfortable in an airweight snub and prefer the .38+p for SD or for practice. In the airweight J you get 13.1 Ft/lbs at .9 lb/sec with a 125gr DPX.

The .500 is a whole different story.

The 275 gr Barnes bullet is designed for rapid expansion. I assume it would be the best to minimize the huge amount of overpenetration.
    32.4 Ft/lbs of recoil energy at 2.7lb/sec.
    With a hunting type 375gr DPX you get 47.8 ft/lbs at 3.2 lb/sec. With the big 500gr hard cast lead bullet "the flying beer keg" you get an unbelieveable 71.9 ft/lb at 4.0 lb/sec.

The .38 snub is not even in the same ballpark.

If you want my opinion, unless you have angry Sumo wrestlers stalking you go a bit lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by coriantan View Post
    It's not just the size of the bullet that matters as has been said.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you should carry the largest caliber handgun you can 1. COMFORTABLY Carry, 2. Shoot WELL.

You've already mentioned that it is a bit heavy, which indicates that it won't be comfortable for long term carry.

As far as shooting WELL, that means multiple shots in quick succession. As was also previously mentioned, You can't count on only one shot doing the job, and if you need to fire a second shot, but it's going to take a bit to bring the gun back on target, it may be too late.
    I think if I hit the threat anywhere with the first shot, I don't think I will have to worry about a second shot. I will start looking for a holster next, anyone have any recommendations? I'm still very open minded about carrying something else as the primary weapon. keep the replies and comments coming.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Semper Fi,

Did thirty myself. I did see multiple hits from .223 (M-16) and .45 ACP on several Viet Cong and PAVN and they kept on coming. They dropped eventually, but they got close enough to be able to kill their attackers. The only U.S. Military caliber out there that can be counted on for a sure one shot stop is the .50 Cal!

Those who believe a +P 9MM or .45 ACP is a sure one shot stopper are betting on a "Death Ray" that doesn't exist. Multiple hits and bullet placement are always the extra insurance you need.
    Thanks for your service and first hand experience. I guess it might not be so crazy to consider carrying a S&W 500 for personal protection based on your first hand experience.

I'm inspired....I think I'll CC my M1.
    Most people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem! Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by subierex View Post
    Probably not enough gun. I'm thinking maybe a .416 Rigby in a TC Contender.

Disagree subierex - why not go all the way to 45-70??
    Remember some time back there was a tv show with a fellow that carried a T/C 14" in 35 Rem. Thought that was big . . .

As for the ported barrel reducing the muzzle flash at night - you are kidding yourself. You'll light up the night like a flare.

maybe a grenade launcher?

Quote Originally Posted by chambered View Post
    maybe a grenade launcher?
    Now we're talking

Back-on-target times are very important. With a round like that, there is a very good chance it could pass right through your opponent without striking vital organs. If it takes three seconds to get back on target, you could be done. Don't depend on that first shot!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Back-on-target times are very important. With a round like that, there is a very good chance it could pass right through your opponent without striking vital organs. If it takes three seconds to get back on target, you could be done. Don't depend on that first shot!
    True, no matter how much you practice, and practice is extremely important and key, under real stress there is hard telling what will be hit. And with a caliber that big, second shot is improbable.

Well, if you HAVE to shoot someone in a SD situation, the cops are going to hear about it...literally...from a miles away.

Kidding aside, I see no reason to carry such a huge pistol...expensive to shoot, and more difficult (not impossible) to conceal than most other choices of a SD weapon.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    No I have not shot one, however I'm a husky guy that can handle the recoil. I plan on getting a ported one for the recoil and to reduce the muzzle flash at night time. Can someone give me a ball park percentage change in the recoil compared to a S&W 642 with .38+P ammo?
    Here's a chart showing the difference. For bullet weights, I picked middle of the road for both. 146 gr. for the 38, 350 gr. for the 500. For powder weight and velocity, I used the load from Hodgdon's data pages that produced the highest velocity for each caliber in the chosen bullet weight. And the results are:

As you can see, the recoil is about 4 1/2 times as much in the 500. Considering that's from a gun that weighs 3 1/2 lbs. to begin with, that's massive.

Here's my personal experience with the 500. My shooting buddy bought two of them. The 8" and the 4". He gave me the 8" gun with a full cylinder (5 rounds). I fired 3 rounds, opened the cylinder and gave him the back the gun. All I wanted. In less than two cylinders from the 4", the front sight went flying off and he had to send it back to S&W for repair. And just to clarify, I'm not exactly a tiny guy at 6'6" and 400 lbs. and my deer rifle is a 300 Win Mag or a 45/70 with my handloads. I'm not recoil sensitive, but the 500 is, in my opinion, beyond severe. My friend probably fired less than 75 rounds out of the two guns before he sold them both. On his last range outing, he fired 18 rounds from the 8" gun and his hand went numb. It stayed that way for almost two weeks and he was beginning to be worried that he had damaged the nerves in his hand. That's when he sold the gun. BTW, he's 6'4", 300 lbs.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Here's my personal experience with the 500. My shooting buddy bought two of them. The 8" and the 4". He gave me the 8" gun with a full cylinder (5 rounds). I fired 3 rounds, opened the cylinder and gave him the back the gun. All I wanted. In less than two cylinders from the 4", the front sight went flying off and he had to send it back to S&W for repair. And just to clarify, I'm not exactly a tiny guy at 6'6" and 400 lbs. and my deer rifle is a 300 Win Mag or a 45/70 with my handloads. I'm not recoil sensitive, but the 500 is, in my opinion, beyond severe. My friend probably fired less than 75 rounds out of the two guns before he sold them both. On his last range outing, he fired 18 rounds from the 8" gun and his hand went numb. It stayed that way for almost two weeks and he was beginning to be worried that he had damaged the nerves in his hand. That's when he sold the gun. BTW, he's 6'4", 300 lbs.
    OUCH!!!!

I like power, and I have no problems with revolvers. Knocking the moon out of orbit may be a problem, but if you are "Physically" big enough to carry comfortably and handle a .50 without any problems, I say go for it. But one of my first rules for any CCW in order are Practice, Practice, and Practice. This can get real real expensive with a.50 You will also have to be careful about what else is in your field of fire like we all are supposed to anyway, but with the .50 even if you hit the BG you have to worry about blowing through both doors of a car, most non load bearing walls, smaller structures etc.. Even if you are not dealing with legal issues of carrying a .50 as a CCW (depending on State), an anti-gun DA can have a field day. Just some food for thought.

I am deciding between a 1911/10mm or a Raging Bull 2.5in (.45 LC) in my SD rotation (Vehicle Gun). Although the Raging Bull could shoot .454’s they would be for the range and hiking/camping.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

puncho, why not just carry a cop....

Can someone give me a ball park percentage change in the recoil compared to a S&W 642 with .38+P ammo?

I have never shot one either, let me guess.... 1000%

You might want to read the thread "Anyone drop down in caliber?"
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

This thread reminds me of this picture
    Attached Images
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    This thread reminds me of this picture
    Kind of reminded me of this.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links