Concealed S&W 500 4" - Page 4

Concealed S&W 500 4"

This is a discussion on Concealed S&W 500 4" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well if you are not a troll....I say go right ahead just make sure and notify the fourm when your court trial is after you ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Well if you are not a troll....I say go right ahead just make sure and notify the fourm when your court trial is after you use it. I wanna show up and watch.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I SD carry mine in a Bianchi X-15 medium with an added retention strap for trips to Jurasic Park. This shoulder rig works better than getting spanked by a belt holster on the run. That way I can still carry the Kimber IWB for a BUG. The muzzle brake helps direct the flash out to the sides and creates a wall of flame, but the top ports make the gun kick straight back. I installed the included cast bullet muzzle brake which closed off the top ports. Now some of the recoil is absorbed when the gun rises over the head. The spin of my cast 440 grain slugs makes the 56 oz X frame twist almost 90 degrees as it pushes me back a step. I'm working on the fast follow up shot after I regain my balance, assume a stance, readjust my grip, find the sights through the tears, as soon as I get out of the hospital and take the air cast off my wrist. Until then it rides in a smartcarry.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    Hey man, I have thought about toting a .50 Desert Eagle if I ever get one.
    IF you can shoot it well,
    IF you can conceal it well,
    IF you can carry it well,
    THEN why not carry it?
    Over penetration......Plus, try shooting one with one hand. Or even holding one up steadily for a minute or two..
    Carrying the largest handgun you can doesnt mean you should carry a bear gun.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

I have CC'd my 4" 629 and after a long day I was happy to wear my G23 again. The .500 is simply to much lead for the purpose. Plus I have a bad feeling a prosecuting attorney could have a field day with why you were CCing "The most powerful handgun in the world". There are much better choices out there. Just my .02

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

wait are you being serious

NO dude what you need is a FlaK 36 or a KwK 36 that'll get the job done in one shot.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Any personal CCW decision is an equasion of compromises. Cost, size, weight, print, power, accuracy, capacity, availability...the list goes on & on. We factor ALL the realistic objective variables (along with some subjective preferences) & calculate what works best for our unique circumstances. When opinions are asked about an option as EXTREME as a X-Frame CCW (and the conversation continues past my first smirk) I eventually have to believe it to be an exercise in ballistic fantasy.

If an X-Frame is the solution to your personal CCW equasion, I respectfully suggest that you re-check your math.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    That's all I seem to read on here too. Puncho, I say go for it! Or hit them with your car/truck. Either should knock them down. Don't worry about 5 shots, the mere sight of you pulling this out of your pants should be enough to end most threats.
    Until you meet the guy who is geeked on drugs and just wants money to get his fix. I've read about people being able to take several .45 rounds and keep coming before going down. I dont think I'd leave this kind of thing. I'd want to have a weapon that was easy to handle, accurate, and can get several rounds on target quick.

I didn't read all of the replies here and there are many. I used to own a 500. In no way would I ever consider carrying that gun in any situation other than an Alaskan Moose hunt to keep the bears off of me. If you ever fire a .50 S&W, you will understand the advice you are getting about time between first and second shot. The first time I fired mine, I was expecting a huge recoil. I held the gun down with all my might and it did not rise very much. My retired marine buddy (sniper) wanted to try it and did not believe what I was telling him. He will have a visible scar forever on his forehead from the hammer striking him right above his eye.

These guns were NOT made for CCW.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Fox 2102 wrote:
    Until you meet the guy who is geeked on drugs and just wants money to get his fix. I've read about people being able to take several .45 rounds and keep coming before going down.
    The fact that the BG will possibly be tweeked out is why most reputable instructors will tell you:
    Assuming a 7 shot mag: Shots 1, 2, and 3 to be consecutive shots to center of mass one right after the other. Remember, you are in fear of your life and you are eliminating a threat. If the BG is still coming after that Shots 4 and 5 to be consecutive shots into the left or right hip. Breaking the hip will stop a BG even if high on PCP. If he is still coming, Shots 6 and 7 to be consecutive shots to the other hip.
    Remember, consecutive shots does not mean hitting the same hole like in target shooting. Place shots at least a few inches away from each other to do maximum damage.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

The fact that the BG will possibly be tweeked out is why most reputable instructors will tell you:
    Agreed!...that pelvic area shots following center mass double-taps is a well-regarded technique for stopping the advance. That's assuming your CCW caliber & load (hopefully) carry the clout to break bone and remove the assailant's ability to remain upright regardless of their mindset.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

500 conceal carry

The 500 will definately stop what you hit, but it may also stop someone down the street, in the next room, or even next door. A round that size traveling at 1400+ fps is not a safe choice. Pardon the pun, but it would be a little bit of "overkill".

I'm going to BPS today to look at the S&W 500. After all the info posted here, I'm considering another option for a CCW. I think the 500 might be a little over the top for a carry gun.

Whew!, that was close. I was about to suggest a $200 NFA ticket to SBS an Rem 870 for CC under the jacket. Same capacity, ~same muzzle energy & ammo is cheaper.

I have a S&W Model 500 for my Alaska trips. It is not a gun I would consider for concealed use and there are several reasons for this. It presents a danger to innocent bystanders because of it's capability for "through and through" if used against a human. Should the need for self defense arise use of a weapon of this size would not be received well by juries or judges. Other than that it is extremely difficult to conceal under most casual wear. These are only my opinions and the final decision is yours.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Without a doubt one of worst choices for ccw, even if you can conceal it. Don't forget you are civilly libel for every round you send down range. I certainly hope you are not serious in your inquiry.
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links