Concealed S&W 500 4"

This is a discussion on Concealed S&W 500 4" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you really must carry a hog leg or a big gun, I reccomend a 629. I cc mine occasionally with Hornday leverevolution 44 mag ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Concealed S&W 500 4"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    If you really must carry a hog leg or a big gun, I reccomend a 629. I cc mine occasionally with Hornday leverevolution 44 mag loads and its not too hot and not too cold. Just right for a hog leg self defense gun. I can conceal mine under a sweater, light jacket, or even a large T shirt. the biggest problem with concealing one of those is the bulk. Printing is hard to hide unless you know what your doing. A .44 is much cheaper to shoot and will still give you that HEHEHEHE it went boom goofy grin on your face. I know mine does for me everytime I go to the range, its amazing how quickly people start coming when I pull that out at the range. Give it a try
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Heck, I figure if your going to CC a 500 then why not a bazooka? Either way you are packing way to much firepower and I am sure if you ever had to use it the courts may feel its excessive as well. Of course you could show them the shattered wrist and hand bones left by the blast.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Sorry, but I can't imagine a worse choice for a CC handgun. Most would consider the 44 mag to be over-powered for a CC handgun but the 500 is, in most loadings, twice as powerful. With minimum loadings for the 500 running around 1500 ft. lbs. of energy and with some loadings going over 2000 ft. lbs., this would give a new definition to "over-kill" and open up some huge liability for the next 5 people that this thing's going to go through after it blows straight through the BG. Reserve the 500 for what it is intended for (moose, bear, elk, etc.) and pick a more practical cartridge for CC.

Hoss
    Well said Hoss.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by kzooglockman View Post
    I don't know Puncho. Is a 500 mag going to be big enough? You might want to think about this a little bit.
    Do they make a .50 BMG Thompson Contender? Maybe someone can work up a .50 BMG revolver.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

you said that as a joke lewis, is it sad that i read your post and thought, that'd be cool
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Anyone carry a S&W 500 in a 4" barrel? I'm thinking about getting one as my primary carry gun. This gun would have plenty of knock down power to end a threat. On a few other threads I have read that I should carry the largest caliber possible that I can conceal. It's kind of heavy, but with a good gun belt and holster, it shouldn't be that hard to conceal or carry. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks
    S&W 500 is a lousy self defense gun unless you're defending yourself against large animals. Concealability and weight aside, it would suck in a fight. One shot in low light and you'll be blind. If you miss, have to hit your target again, or engage a second threat, you're dead because getting back on target will take too long. Forgetting overpenetration, the power isn't there on a human target, unlike the animals it is designed for because we're not thick enough or dense enough to absorb its energy. All that power that destroys your vision and followup shots is wasted as it is expended on what is BEHIND your target.

Dumb choice.

Really?
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

OK, this is a really old thread that got resurrected somehow so I guess I'll chime in.

I haven't read all 97 posts (and won't) so maybe someone else has pointed it out already. If so, I haven't seen it so here goes.

Am I the only one who reads the original post as satire? It seems that it was intended to point out the ridiculous nature of canned "sound bite" answers to complex subjects (specifically, the "carry the largest caliber you can conceal" advice).
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    you said that as a joke lewis, is it sad that i read your post and thought, that'd be cool
    a cool way to break you wrist maybe
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

FWIW I just saw a 45/70 Six gun at the local gun store. Stainless and looks somewhat like a Ruger Super Blackhawk only bigger.

BFR: Magnum Research

I think the guy was serious. Unless he's carrying in Alaska, someone with a mindset like that has no business carrying. Just a bad accident waiting to happen imo. With some of his replies it's clear he's rather immature. Some people don't get what responsible carry is all about.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Might as well carry this!!!

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

hey hey hey, gun safety violation, get that hand off the trigger!!!!! amateur...............

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links