Question on CCW application process

This is a discussion on Question on CCW application process within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to this forum, and I am glad I found it, as I have some questions that I was hoping some of you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on CCW application process

Question on CCW application process

I am new to this forum, and I am glad I found it, as I have some questions that I was hoping some of you could help me.

I am an Oakland County Michigan resident, and last Tuesday, August 4th 2009, I officially applied for my CCW permit. I am pretty confident I will be granted my permit, but there are some medical issues in my past that concern me, which I will tell you, and maybe you can tell me what my chances are...

First let me say that I have never been arrested, and never been charged with a crime. In June of 2007, I was going through some very difficult times in my marriage and my job. I endured a foreclosure and my marriage ended. Prior to that, I was given an anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety to cope with the stress, during which time I was drinking heavily and had used cocaine for the first time, which was a year long problem. I had attempted suicide the last week of May 2007, and the following week, the police came to my house in the middle of the day and took me to the hospital. My wife at the time petitioned me for hospitalization at a mental health facility, and I was there for 2 weeks. I never went to court, and they told me at the time of discharge that my admission to the hospital was considered voluntary. About a year after that, I voluntarily admitted myself to a substance abuse rehabilitation center to deal with my cocaine and alcohol use. I have been clean ever since, but I do enjoy wine on the weekends. I am currently taking only Xanax on occasion because sometimes I have panic attacks that are stress related. I am a hard-working, tax-paying, law-abiding citizen of sound mind.

In the requirements for a CCW, it clearly asks if I have every been the subject of an order to a mental health facility, which the answer is no. It also asks if I currently have a mental illness, which the answer is also no.

My question is; how likely is it that my medical history will cause me to be denied my CCW permit? And if it is denied, do I have a reasonable case for an appeal?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.
    Last edited by Adesta; August 10th, 2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: clarification of location

2. Remove Ads

I would say that GREATLY depends upon the individual (Sheriff) that grants the permits. I have a friend that had attempted suicide once and although he only had to stay 24 hours dressed in paper, I don't think it was "Voluntary". He was still granted his permit. I know on the paperwork in my county, we have to sign a medical release form for them to check the 3 local psych hospitals for any history there. His short stay was........ I think around 6 years ago though. Good Luck!

I would think you would be pretty safe considering your medical records are confidental. If you signed some kind of paper allowing them to look at your records, then you might have to worry. But I doubt you had to..I have applied for 3 CCW permits from 3 states, and none of them made me sign anything like that. Now the police taking you, may show up somewhere, but I am not sure. Just wait and see I guess.

DM2
    Adesta,
    I'm in MI but I don't have an answer to your question. I'm in Wayne County and I think the process is less bureaucratic in Oakland County and it will not take as long of a wait to find out. However, can you update me on the outcome. I have a friend in Wayne county whose CPL and drivers license was suspended due to another issue but when it was all cleared up, the Secretary of State refused to reinstate his driver's license due to the medications he was taking, some of which are the same ones you mentioned. He is apprehensive about trying to renew his CPL until he get's his drivers license just so it is not a problem. I'd really be interested in hearing your outcome.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

First welcome to the forum. In your orginal post you never made 1 mention of why you want a CCW. I am glad that you are clean and sober and hopefully remain there. Do you think that by having your CCW it would some how change the way you feel? think? react?

VIP Member
    IANAL, but if as you say your stays was considered a voluntary admission it should not preclude you from getting a permit. It should also give you decent grounds for appeal if you are denied a permit.

Cool

In NC you do need to sign releases for medical and phsyc facilities in the region. Your doctor has to fill out a form and return it to the sheriff. I'm not sure if confidentiality is observed when LEO inquires.

In my state, you can have a gun in your home and even in your car without a concealed carry permit. I hope things are better for you now. Anyone would have had difficulty with a foreclosure and a divorce. During difficult times like that, I advise people to stay away from guns, or to have a friend hold their guns until things get better.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You've answered your own questions "No...", don't worry about it...apply, and be better prepared to defend yourself.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on having the courage to get help and live your life.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Wayne county is the worst of all when it comes to issuing permits in a timely matter.In this day and age where you can send a e-mail from Detroit to China in a matter of seconds, you mean to tell me it takes 3 to 4 months to run a background check?Obviously if someone needs a CCW to protect themselves they dont need it 4 months from now they need it tomorrow.So in between that time pray you are not killed or your wife and daughter are not robbed raped and killed. While Oakland and other counties residents receive their permits in a matter of weeks.

Welcome from Virginia.

Sorry, can't help you with your question. But, good luck.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Maybe Not

You say that the police came to your home, took you into protective custody and transported you to a mental health facility. That does not sound as if you were there voluntarily. You also state that your wife signed the petition. Look at the application. It ask's if you have ever been diagnosed with a mental illness. Your answer should be YES! Also, if you attempted suicide, do you really feel you need to carry a firearm??? Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by tbroy View Post
    You say that the police came to your home, took you into protective custody and transported you to a mental health facility. That does not sound as if you were there voluntarily. You also state that your wife signed the petition. Look at the application. It ask's if you have ever been diagnosed with a mental illness. Your answer should be YES! Also, if you attempted suicide, do you really feel you need to carry a firearm??? Just my 2 cents...
    I have to agree.... Do you really need a firearm. If the police did take you, thats not voluntary....

Originally Posted by tbroy
    Actually this isn't true. This depends on a lot of factors. Just because the police showed up does not mean you were "court ordered" to seek out care at a mental health facility. There are many police orgainzations that provide voluntairy transport for citizens.

As far as the petition that your wife signed I would not worry about it.

When it comes to looking at the application asking if you have been diagnosed with a mental illness. Mental illness is defined: A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern that occurs in an individual and is thought to cause distress or disability that is not expected as part of normal development or culture.

This is all very subjective. So if you have a clinical definition and diagonsis from a mental health professional of mental illness then I would be concened.

So welcome to the forum and I wish you the best of luck. Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links