Gun Buster signs disappearing

This is a discussion on Gun Buster signs disappearing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CCW is relatively new in Kansas. Right after it passed signs were posted everywhere in private businesses. Now that it's been around for a couple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Buster signs disappearing

CCW is relatively new in Kansas. Right after it passed signs were posted everywhere in private businesses. Now that it's been around for a couple of years, a lot of those signs are gone. Makes me wonder why businesses have changed their stance.

J.S.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Well, when people are uneducated about something then tend to fear it or be apprehensive to accept it.

So when it became legal to carry a sidearm, alot of people were scared at the idea.

Now that time has passed and they have wittnessed the positive effects, well they accept it now and have no worries or problems with it.. JMO

I recently got my CHL and my instructor said that a lot of businesses are weary of guns being brought into their shops but after awhile through some means, via word on the street or business meetings, they come to the conclusion that people that get their CHL's are not the ones that cause problems and if someone that is the "good guy" does bring a weapon into such an establishment might actually be able to protect the place if there is a threat.

Senior Moderator
    Any time a target rich environment that bans guns disappears, it is cause for celebration.

Now, if only the Feds would follow suit...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I moved to Kansas about 3 yrs ago just about the time that cc was going into effect....I remember visiting a friend who owns a sign making shop and listening to all the local merchants coming in to get there No handguns signs.....From listening to them they pretty much thought that people were gonna be coming into there stores armed for the apocalypse....I bet they were surprised when they couldn't even tell who was carrying..... You know here in Eureka where I live a lot of the signs have come down as well.....Isn't it funny how that works????

Its just amazing the lack of critical thinking. Do these people who post these signs believe that the criminals will abide by them? I know I am preaching to the choir but what flawed logic. Disarm the law abiding good guys. I will never understand it.

I am glad too that some of the signs are coming down. I saw a business card sized card that said something like NO GUNS = NO MONEY. It detailed that law abiding CCW will not patronize their store as long as they restrict the lawful carry of concealed firearms. The idea was to give it to the business owners to make them think. I might try to find some of those.

Just my 2c.

Hopefully the trend continues and those business cards implying law abiding ccw citizens will take their business elsewhere are a great idea. I shake my head everytime I see one of those signs when visiting.

Now if Kansas would accept other State's license when I go to KC I won't have to worry if I have crossed over the state line. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by treebark View Post
    Hopefully the trend continues and those business cards implying law abiding ccw citizens will take their business elsewhere are a great idea. I shake my head everytime I see one of those signs when visiting.

Now if Kansas would accept other State's license when I go to KC I won't have to worry if I have crossed over the state line. :-(
    What State's license do you have? We do recognize licenses from 22 States and beginning on July 1st, 2009, we also started recognizing licenses issued to non-residents of those 22 States so if you happen to have a Florida or Texas non-resident license, you're good to go.

As to signage, I believe, as do others, that when CCH first went into effect, several groups who were opposed to CCH were contacting businesses and misleading them into believing that to be able to prosecute anyone in their store with a gun they needed to post signs when in reality, the signs only affect legally licensed CCH holders. As a lot of business owners have become aware of what the law actually is, usually through education by CCH holders, the signs have begun to come down. The bank that I was with for 30 years is still posted to this day, but when I moved my personal and corporate accounts to a bank that wasn't posted, I wrote them a lengthy letter and explained why they lost the business. Maybe someday, they too will "get it".

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohn151 View Post
    Its just amazing the lack of critical thinking. Do these people who post these signs believe that the criminals will abide by them? I know I am preaching to the choir but what flawed logic. Disarm the law abiding good guys. I will never understand it.

I am glad too that some of the signs are coming down. I saw a business card sized card that said something like NO GUNS = NO MONEY. It detailed that law abiding CCW will not patronize their store as long as they restrict the lawful carry of concealed firearms. The idea was to give it to the business owners to make them think. I might try to find some of those.

Just my 2c.
    I think alot of them believe YOU are the criminal. You're a paranoid, hair triggered maniac.... I think its more that than thinking the signs are going to keep out a real criminal.....
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

As Hoss said Kansas will now except any, out of state license, that they have reciprocity with reguardless of if you are a resident of that state. Live in Kalifornia have a Florida, Your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by teccles View Post
    I moved to Kansas about 3 yrs ago just about the time that cc was going into effect....I remember visiting a friend who owns a sign making shop and listening to all the local merchants coming in to get there No handguns signs.....From listening to them they pretty much thought that people were gonna be coming into there stores armed for the apocalypse....I bet they were surprised when they couldn't even tell who was carrying..... You know here in Eureka where I live a lot of the signs have come down as well.....Isn't it funny how that works????
    Many organization and peope who were anti gun ran around telling bussinesses that there would be "blood flowing in the Streets" and that it was the Law that they had to post. Now that it's getting hard to find a pint and the word is getting out most bussinesses are reconsidering.

I lived in Eureka about 8 years ago. It's a nice relatively quite town, In contact with a few folk's up there still.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    CCW is relatively new in Kansas. Right after it passed signs were posted everywhere in private businesses. Now that it's been around for a couple of years, a lot of those signs are gone. Makes me wonder why businesses have changed their stance.

J.S.
    Because of the concerted effort of members of KSCCW.com, and others who refuse to do bussiness with posted companies. There were even stories of local Chamber of Comerce telling people to post and handing out free signs.

Just my 2c.
    Whether the cards work or not is hard to judge but you feel better handing them out and maybe it will chage a mind or two. They are available at KSCCW.com to download and print on your computer.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

I saw a business card sized card that said something like NO GUNS = NO MONEY. It detailed that law abiding CCW will not patronize their store as long as they restrict the lawful carry of concealed firearms. The idea was to give it to the business owners to make them think. I might try to find some of those.
    I don't suppose you remember any of the details? What else did it say?

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    What State's license do you have? We do recognize licenses from 22 States and beginning on July 1st, 2009, we also started recognizing licenses issued to non-residents of those 22 States so if you happen to have a Florida or Texas non-resident license, you're good to go.

Hoss
    Wow, thank you for that. This ia huge for me for as often as I find myself in KC. When I took my class last spring the only state Florida got me that Iowa and Utah did not was Florida itself so I didn't get it. Going to call my instructor as the course was a joint Iowa-Utah-Florida course and hope I can still apply.

Going to have to see if Illinois or Wisconsin changed too but I won't hold my breath. ;-)

now I REALLY hope thos gunbuster signs come down more and more!

When CWP was legalized in SC, many decried it. claiming there would "be shootouts at stoplights and gunfights in stores". Never happened. People are slow to realize that, just because someone wants to carry a gun for protection, it doesn't mean they're wild-eyed gunslingers, looking for someone to plug. They're unable to separate a right wing/religious, para, neo-nazi, civilization-is-ending (insert whatever agenda fits) organization from an individual citizen facing down two muggers on a dark sidewalk at 2 in the morning.

Wow, thank you for that. This ia huge for me for as often as I find myself in KC. When I took my class last spring the only state Florida got me that Iowa and Utah did not was Florida itself so I didn't get it. Going to call my instructor as the course was a joint Iowa-Utah-Florida course and hope I can still apply.

Going to have to see if Illinois or Wisconsin changed too but I won't hold my breath. ;-)

now I REALLY hope thos gunbuster signs come down more and more!
    I don't see any chance of change on the horizon for Wisconsin or especially for Illinois.

BTW, I assume you're from Iowa based on the "joint Iowa-Utah-Florida course" statement, so how about working on your state? They won't accept anyone's permit but their own.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

You mean a business card that says No Guns = No Money? What a great idea! I distribute them every chance I get. Check out my avatar.

Just my 2c.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links