CCW question in kansas?

This is a discussion on CCW question in kansas? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen a lot of signs come down, and 99% of where I go don't have a sign..... so, I'm obviously not going where you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW question in kansas?

I've seen a lot of signs come down, and 99% of where I go don't have a sign..... so, I'm obviously not going where you are. Those that do post, I found alternatives. Where I used to buy gas is posted, but the station across the street isn't... guess where I buy my gas.

Talk to them about "not posting", many have had their minds changed.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    What if you take the stance that our OP has taken and don't get your CCL and then you need the weapon for protection where you could have carried and didn't. In other words, just because you can't carry everywhere doesn't mean you won't need it another place that you can carry. Wish I had the video of the lady who testified before congress about her parents being killed while they ate in a family type restaurant and she had left hers in the car and from what I understood from her testimony, she could have been carrying but just left it in the car. Anyway, her parents were killed.
    O.K., I understand now. Guess I didn't really catch that from the OP that there was a consideration of actually not getting a license because of places being posted. I just thought he was complaining about the number of places posted.

I agree with you. Even if every business was posted, I'd still get my license to make it legal to carry walking down the street and in my car. But in Kansas, if you have to enter a building and it's posted, you better leave the gun in the car. No asking you to leave if discovered. Carrying past a sign in Kansas by a licensed CCH holder is a class A misdemeanor and you're subject to immediate arrest.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Yep.. Like has already been said,.. Do not shop where you cannot carry,.. Do not eat, where you cannot carry... I would rather miss out on some food then go un-armed..
    Reminds me of my cousin who missed the birth of his child because they would not let him carry into the hospital. His Dad, my uncle, missed his son's college graduation because he could not legally carry onto the plane. After that he did not fly to Hawaii for their daughters wedding because Hawaii does not offer reciprocity with his home state. I remember when he skipped his Mom's funeral because the services were held in a funeral parlor that was posted. And his Dad didn't think it was funny when he could not wheel him out of the hospital (it was posted) after a grueling chemotherapy session.

They are just big believers in the 2nd Amendment!

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    You don't have to shop at those stores. A lot of people refuse to shop at stores with gunbuster signs, and then write the store owners a letter to know what sale they lost and where you went instead.
    Exactly. and 100% agreed. We've only got a few here like the mall, Elder Bearman, Value city and a few odd restaurants. Luckily in Indiana, a sign is a suggestion until asked to leave, then it's trespassing. I won't go into a store that has a no firearms sign posted and the exception is the mall, when I'm forced. But I still conceal carry and no one is the wiser. If they don't know you're packing ,they dont' ask you to leave and you're fine.

Any store that doesn't respect my right to carry can lose out on my business, period.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    Exactly. and 100% agreed. We've only got a few here like the mall, Elder Bearman, Value city and a few odd restaurants. Luckily in Indiana, a sign is a suggestion until asked to leave, then it's trespassing. I won't go into a store that has a no firearms sign posted and the exception is the mall, when I'm forced. But I still conceal carry and no one is the wiser. If they don't know you're packing ,they dont' ask you to leave and you're fine.

Any store that doesn't respect my right to carry can lose out on my business, period.
    Who is forcing you to go into the stores with signs posted even at the mall?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    Reminds me of my cousin who missed the birth of his child because they would not let him carry into the hospital. His Dad, my uncle, missed his son's college graduation because he could not legally carry onto the plane. After that he did not fly to Hawaii for their daughters wedding because Hawaii does not offer reciprocity with his home state. I remember when he skipped his Mom's funeral because the services were held in a funeral parlor that was posted. And his Dad didn't think it was funny when he could not wheel him out of the hospital (it was posted) after a grueling chemotherapy session.

That is just a little extreme. As long as there is ignorance in this country (and I believe there always will be) there are going to be places that are posted. And at some point you will have to go in there.

Would he be able to use this logic when getting arrested for not showing up for court or jury duty?

I can't knock them for standing up for what they believe in, but come on. Birth of a child, weddings, graduations, funerals, helping your parents when they are sick, maybe being able to say a final goodbye to a loved one on their deathbed. These are once-in-a-lifetime milestones that people need to make exception for until we can get more people educated.

Joker1

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    That is just a little extreme. As long as there is ignorance in this country (and I believe there always will be) there are going to be places that are posted. And at some point you will have to go in there.

Would he be able to use this logic when getting arrested for not showing up for court or jury duty?

I can't knock them for standing up for what they believe in, but come on. Birth of a child, weddings, graduations, funerals, helping your parents when they are sick, maybe being able to say a final goodbye to a loved one on their deathbed. These are once-in-a-lifetime milestones that people need to make exception for until we can get more people educated.

Joker1
    Well said Joker1.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post

I'm a big believer in the 2nd Amendment, too, but it is not the sole controlling factor of my life. Your cousin needs to get a grip on reality and enjoy life instead of symbolically cowering in the corner with his gun in his hand, waiting for the onslaught.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

You need to contact your state legislator, and lobby them change your CCL law to be more like Floridaís. Whereas Exception as stated in statue, no local municipality, or business can post such a sign; and if they do it has no authority.

Until they do change the law, donít shop there

Kspilot-- I see your in ICT, There and JoCo are probably the worst. There are safes available etc. to house you gun in. Not sure how new you are to CCW, but don't be confused there are lots of Illegal "No Gun" signs and some that are Legal. The illegal sign have no Legal merit according to the law. That said, Cross at your own Risk. Basically If it is not an 8" sign with the "NO" symbol and a Barretta 92 on it, It's not a legal sign.

I'm not sure what you carry, My summer carry is a S&W Sigma, It breaks down just like a Glock. What I do, if I have to go into a Posted location is to remove the mag and clear the chamber then Remove the slide. The frame ain't going to do a woodbe thief much good. As for the Winter I carry a 1911, Obviously a little more difficult to breakdown, Haven't decided what I'll do yet.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Regardless of whether you carry or not, the bigger issue is that it sends a message. It tells government that you believe in the right to bear arms if you so choose. My wife doesn't carry at the moment but she has her permit.It is a powerful voice in the gun control debate. Get one regardless.

Don't know the law in Kansas. However, in Florida, you are legal to carry anywhere the law allows, even stores with signs in the window. The business can ask you to leave, if they somehow were to know you were carrying but you have not broken the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I'm a big believer in the 2nd Amendment, too, but it is not the sole controlling factor of my life. Your cousin needs to get a grip on reality and enjoy life instead of symbolically cowering in the corner with his gun in his hand, waiting for the onslaught.
    At the same time though, he will never have to be worried about cowering in the corner like us when we have to visit one of those places. There is something to be said about being prepared. He is not waiting in the corner symbolically, he is enjoying his life and his rights as an American.

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    What if you take the stance that our OP has taken and don't get your CCL and then you need the weapon for protection where you could have carried and didn't. In other words, just because you can't carry everywhere doesn't mean you won't need it another place that you can carry. Wish I had the video of the lady who testified before congress about her parents being killed while they ate in a family type restaurant and she had left hers in the car and from what I understood from her testimony, she could have been carrying but just left it in the car. Anyway, her parents were killed.
    You are thinking of Suzanna Hupp....

YouTube - Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    Regardless of whether you carry or not, the bigger issue is that it sends a message. It tells government that you believe in the right to bear arms if you so choose. My wife doesn't carry at the moment but she has her permit.It is a powerful voice in the gun control debate. Get one regardless.

Don't know the law in Kansas. However, in Florida, you are legal to carry anywhere the law allows, even stores with signs in the window. The business can ask you to leave, if they somehow were to know you were carrying but you have not broken the law.

Here in Ks. Generally speaking we can carry anywhere that is not posted with a gunbuster sign, that has a Barretta m92 pictured. Exception is Federal and State buildings. We can carry into churches, bars, resturants, parks, banks, etc. as long as they aren't posted. Only buildings can be posted. If you get caught inside a building that is posted you face crimal charges as a CC holder. The backwards part of the law is, If your not a CC Holder and get caught there is no crime.

We have been working hard to get the law changed so that the posting can be passed as long as there is no criminal intent. While our law may seem pretty backward, after reading how other states are I think they did a pretty good job avoiding a lot of pitfalls I've seen from other places.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    .............If you get caught inside a building that is posted you face crimal charges as a CC holder. The backwards part of the law is, If your not a CC Holder and get caught there is no crime.
    Well, other than the crime of carrying a concealed weapon without a license.

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    We have been working hard to get the law changed so that the posting can be passed as long as there is no criminal intent. While our law may seem pretty backward, after reading how other states are I think they did a pretty good job avoiding a lot of pitfalls I've seen from other places.
    I agree. I think our Legislature did a pretty good job. The initial law obviously had some pretty big flaws but they were pretty quick to get HB2528 passed to correct those flaws. If there were anything I'd like to see changed now, it would be:
    1. De-criminalize walking past a gunbuster sign
    2. Lighten up on the reciprocity rules and go like Missouri where we recognize any other state's license.
    3. Accept a CCH as an alternative to having a NICS check when buying a firearm.
    As a Sebelius appointee, I was worried about our new AG, Steve Six, but I must say I've been pleasantly surprised. His acceptance of non-resident licenses from those states whose resident licenses we recognize is a big step forward.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links