Mo Legal clarification question.. - Page 2

Mo Legal clarification question..

This is a discussion on Mo Legal clarification question.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BrianGarms So what is the best way to inform an LEO if I get pulled over that: 1) I am carrying in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianGarms View Post
    So what is the best way to inform an LEO if I get pulled over that:

1) I am carrying in my car
    2) I do not have a CCW

Any ideas?
    Officer,... I am carrying a LEGAL TOOL in my vehical. (he'll take it from there)
    It would be out of respect for the officer however, in Missouri you don't have to disclose it at all.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

First, yes you can carry in your vehicle, if you are over 21, without a CCW. Also FL does have reciprocity with MO, and if you are under 23 you are able to carry; hopefully, this will be changing by the end of the next legislative session.

To notify the officer: Pull over vehicle, turn off the engine, illuminate the dome light, put your hands on the wheel. When you officer approaches and asks for your license, inform him that you will produce the necessary paperwork; however, you are carrying (tell him where-glove box, right side, 4 o'clock..you get the idea) and wait for their direction. They will tell you what to do, so just sit tight and be cool...like the Fonz!

I wanted to add, without your CCW, so long as the firearm is concealed you can carry in any fashion in your vehicle. You can put it in the glovebox, under your seat, or carry in a holster on your person. The key is it must be concealed, and you best not step out of your vehicle with the pistol still on you (in your holster), lest you want to be a felon!

Since he won't have a CCW ...when the officer calls him in, they won't know. A different story IF you have a CCW. They know instantly and may be pissed you didn't reveal it. If it's for a minor violation, the OP MAY very well be best to not offer the information and just take the ticket and go on. His call.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    I wanted to add, without your CCW, so long as the firearm is concealed you can carry in any fashion in your vehicle. You can put it in the glovebox, under your seat, or carry in a holster on your person. The key is it must be concealed, and you best not step out of your vehicle with the pistol still on you (in your holster), lest you want to be a felon!

Have fun with the definition of concealed. It has yet to be challenged in court, but there is no clarification of what truly is concealed within a vehicle. Technically, once it's inside your vehicle and not able to be viewed through the windows (not by leaning up against the glass and looking for it either) then it's concealed from the public. If it were on the dash, hanging from your headrest, etc then it would be in public view.

Lying on your seat might be concealed within your vehicle depending on your interpreteation. Between split seats might be as well. I've found that door pods are by far one of the best options for carry in a vehicle. It hides it, even from yourself, so that it can't be seen even if someone looks for it.

In a loose interpretation utilizing the in-seat example, it's clearly hidden from the public and would likely be utilized as intended should someone approach your window aggressively or looking for the firearm and not a LEO. So it's clearly a prortion of the law that does not have clarification in Mo.

Out of sight, but readily accessible are the 2 factors to consider with location choice. As for notifying a LEO under Castle Doctrine, extend the same courtesy was mentioned before just be specific that you're covered under Castle Docrtine and take instructions from the tower at that point.

No permit required to have a firearm concealed in your vehicle here in MO. There were at least 4 people in my CCW class who were there to get a permit so they could carry in the car. At least they got some training for their $100.

Oh and I got a Utah permit the day I turned 21 to cover me until I was 23. I now have both a UT and MO permit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links