How Drug Wars Helped The CWP Cause In Florida

This is a discussion on How Drug Wars Helped The CWP Cause In Florida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Without the drug wars in Miami, Florida during the 80's we probably wouldn't have CWP in Florida or other states. As a result of all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Drug Wars Helped The CWP Cause In Florida

Without the drug wars in Miami, Florida during the 80's we probably wouldn't have CWP in Florida or other states. As a result of all the gun violence in Miami during the 80's drug wars, the Florida Legislature passed a law that allowed citzens to conceal carry in the state with a permit. The murder rate in the state of Florida dropped 40% after the first year of concealed carry in Florida. Many other states followed after seeing Florida's murder rate drop. The cocaine cowboys helped our cause and freedoms to legally carry in this country.

I must say i knew nothing about this.....thanks
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

You are right, Puncho The drug wars in Northern Cuba... ooops... I mean Miami are directly related to Florida's CWP becoming a reality. Crime and murders were so rampant the state and federal government felt that only by arming citizens could they assist in stemming the flow. They were right. George Bush 1 even came to Miami due to the seriousness. Watch the documentary movie "Cocaine Cowboys" to get the facts. However, now this same government tries to push statistics that carrying guns doesn't lessen crimes. Uhhh.....

I hate to say it but a lot of crime today is a direct result of illegal drugs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I hate to say it but a lot of crime today is a direct result of illegal drugs
    Also, Acccording to Sheriff Joe Apprio, the majority of criminals in AZ prisons is the direct results of illegal Aliens.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Wow! I mean....wow! What an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Wow! I mean....wow! What an eye opener.
    You saw cocaine cowboys too?

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Without the drug wars in Miami, Florida during the 80's we probably wouldn't have CWP in Florida or other states. As a result of all the gun violence in Miami during the 80's drug wars, the Florida Legislature passed a law that allowed citzens to conceal carry in the state with a permit. The murder rate in the state of Florida dropped 40% after the first year of concealed carry in Florida. Many other states followed after seeing Florida's murder rate drop. The cocaine cowboys helped our cause and freedoms to legally carry in this country.
    You got some sources for your stats? Please post them. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    You got some sources for your stats? Please post them. Thank you.
    "Shall Issue": The New Wave of Concealed Handgun Permit Laws

I guess Puncho's link pretty much says it all. Any questions?

Sorry to argue with your theory, but there was a movement to modernize the licensing structure in Florida well before the mess in So. Fla. became a cause celebre!

There is one prominent name that contributed to the enactment of that antiquated 1894 law tho, Marion Hamer of the Unified Sportsmen of Fla.........that woman pushed and cajoled and was the real point of the spear for change. Truth be told, there was a lot of sentiment existing in the Legislature for the move years prior....ie: Leighton Baker, of Peterson's gunshop fame in Mt. Dora, pushed for a basic change that resulted in a lot of clarification to the 1894 licensing statute and permitted a lot of legitimate use that truly was illegal less a license prior to enactment. A lot of griping about the need for 68 licenses to carry statewide had been publicized widely and added to the law change.........too, both the Florida Police Chief's assn and Florida Sheriff's assn strongly supported the law.

Crediting a bunch of scumbags such as the so called "Cocaine Cowboys" ignores the good work of a lot of honest people that really engineered the law change.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    I guess Puncho's link pretty much says it all. Any questions?
    +1

Facinating read, lots of good history........I am only a third the way through and have to go to bed but I will be reading this all evening tomorrow.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Now if only my state would learn from history we might have our rights restored.

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    Sorry to argue with your theory, but there was a movement to modernize the licensing structure in Florida well before the mess in So. Fla. became a cause celebre!

There is one prominent name that contributed to the enactment of that antiquated 1894 law tho, Marion Hamer of the Unified Sportsmen of Fla.........that woman pushed and cajoled and was the real point of the spear for change. Truth be told, there was a lot of sentiment existing in the Legislature for the move years prior....ie: Leighton Baker, of Peterson's gunshop fame in Mt. Dora, pushed for a basic change that resulted in a lot of clarification to the 1894 licensing statute and permitted a lot of legitimate use that truly was illegal less a license prior to enactment. A lot of griping about the need for 68 licenses to carry statewide had been publicized widely and added to the law change.........too, both the Florida Police Chief's assn and Florida Sheriff's assn strongly supported the law.

Crediting a bunch of scumbags such as the so called "Cocaine Cowboys" ignores the good work of a lot of honest people that really engineered the law change.

I am no expert by any means, but I had an instructor one time that spent two whole days giving examples of cases where the statistics were used to show cause and effect that were not real. When the whole picture was viewed a different relatonship was discovered.

In this case, I am sure the CCW changes in Florida had a large part in the decrease in murders, but I have to believe there were other factors too.
    Did the police departments and Federal anti-drug units launch extensive programs to reduce violent crimes at the same time?

Perhaps the larger drug cartels eliminated all the lesser indenpents dealers so there were less "victums" to be murdered, at least as far as drug related shootings go.

All I am saying is you need to look at all the factors that could have contributed to the decline. It would be great to know and be able to prove the armed citizens were the factor that caused the drop, but you might be misrepresenting the facts.

I have a copy of John Lott's book, but I dont know if he breaks out Florida as a seperate case study or not. The truth be told I never got around to finishing the book.

You saw cocaine cowboys too?

I saw it as well.To live in Miami back then must have been something else.A bank literaly on almost every corner,car dealerships,nightclubs and jewerly stores were booming,everywhere you looked skyscrapers were always being built.During that time period,the whole city of Miami was pretty much being funded by drug money.To have been young and rich in Miami in the 80's must have been an amazing time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links