How many guns is too many to carry?

This is a discussion on How many guns is too many to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BaserRonin Is there a legal limit to what constitutes too many concealed weapons? Do the Feds or the States get cranky if ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How many guns is too many to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Is there a legal limit to what constitutes too many concealed weapons? Do the Feds or the States get cranky if you have 10 derringers in your cargo pants? What about 10 derringers and a Super Blackhawk?

Regarding Texas, and Idaho I know of no law that limits how many you can carry.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    IMHO---unless you are in a career that puts you in danger every day I think 1 is enough, but I may very well be in the minority here.

One other thought is I don't live where you do, so I may not understand what threats you see every day.

Z
    +1

OTOH, I can see no reason not to carry a bug if you feel the need. However, I'd make any bug I carry the same caliber as my primary weapon. I know a lot of people who'd NEVER consider firing .380 or .32 caliber rounds in their main gun but don't think twice about using one in a bug. I guess they never stopped to think that as soon as you grab that bug it becomes the primary weapon!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Depends on what war your headed too.

Seriously, if you’re staying here in the states, I have one question. WHAT FOR…

You’d be much better off picking one weapon as your primary, and then shoot it often.

Once you can hit a target, and then do draw fire drills.

VIP Member
    I think that 3 guns might present a legal problem if you do have to use one of them for self-defense. The questions might be - why were you armed so heavily? Were you looking for trouble?

We can never know for sure what we'll need when the need arises, but given that most documented gun fights are over pretty quickly and with very few rounds being shot (relatively), I think 3 guns are too many.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I normally carry a P3AT in a nemesis pocket holster and have my G23 in my backpack or console of my vehicle. The P3AT is so handy to carry and I can slip my paddle holster on quickly and have the G23 ready for certain situations. I would think anymore than 2 would just be too much work. I'd need a belt and suspenders just to keep my pants on. Of course if you can comfortably carry 3 then why not.

Edit: I also carry the 642 in a pocket holster depending on my dress. I've found that having a variety of guns is just like having a variety of holsters. Each one fits a different situation and dress. I like being able to fit my carry to whatever I'm planning on wearing for the day.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Just one, my LCP with two extra mags in my pocket, that's all I need. I don't live in an area where I could be up against several assailants with full autos. If I encouter a situation it will probably be one assilant and I'll have the suprise with my concealed LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Depends on what war your headed too.

Seriously, if you’re staying here in the states, I have one question. WHAT FOR…

You’d be much better off picking one weapon as your primary, and then shoot it often.

Once you can hit a target, and then do draw fire drills.

What For...?
    Because Pooooop happens, and for some of us it happens a lot!! I agree 100% with BikerRN, all the reasons he listed is exactly why I always have a BUG with me. Guns are mechanical devices and subject to failure. I have a large variety of CC guns that I use, but normall the G23 is my primary carried strong side in a Bianchi Carryloc on my right side at 4:00, my favorite BUG use to be my two NAA Guardians, I simply love these guns. But recently I acquired a nice 649 ( 357, snubnose concealed hammer) and I love it, it rides in strong side front pocket in a Mika holster. I carry a reload for the G23, as well as two speed strips for the 649. As Biker RN stated there are many reasons for multiple guns, a secondary weapon is much faster than any reload, failure of primary, able to arm another person, etc....... We all must carry what we feel comfortable with in the areas we must travel in. My wish is none of us ever have to draw a weapon in defense of our life, but if you do, you better be prepared. There's no second chances!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I'll move to a different neighborhood or part of the city long before I feel the need to be armed with three guns (plus ammo).

Fortunately for me, I haven't run into someone at the store or somewhere that I've arrested and put in jail.

[QUOTE=Bark'n;1258280]I have never heard a single person who has actually been in a gunfight ever say they had too many guns when it happened![QUOTE]

Well, gee, isn't that special? If the person survived a gunfight, they obviously had enough defensive capability - whatever that was.

How many gunfights have you and your friends participated in?

Your primary could fail, your backup could fail, you might have trouble reaching your primary, your magazines may decide to all fail on the same day, and you might even have to fight the entire off-Broadway cast of Grease armed with AK-47s.

For Pete's sake, concealed carry is for sensible risk management. If toting an entire personal armory is your idea of prudent self-defense, it's not for me to tell you otherwise.

However, I may still think you're a loon. That's my prerogative.

VIP Member
    Tackleberry's love scene

We need to find a clip of that and post it.

My only input is if your primary and secondary fail I think its doubtful you get to the ankle before you are out of commission. If I were the BG and saw you go for your primary and it failed, I would make it my top priority to take you down when you start reaching for something else. You could get to the secondary and even pull the trigger before I stop you if you are moving but I don't think you would make it to your third option.

IMHO, 2 should be enough. My thinking is along the lines of SA XD-40 primary with an extra mag or two, and a snub revolver as a secondary. But when you are (just as an example) carrying 3 pistols, knife, taser, OC, toothbrush shiv in your shoe, and whatever else you can fit into your EDC, and happen to be involved in an SD scenario, good luck getting that past the sheeple in the jury box. There have been convictions based on the use of a large caliber pistols (.40 SW, 10mm) in SD. When you bring all that to the table, I can see it being ruled as you went looking for trouble.

Just my thought though. I would say 1-3 depending on what else you are carrying.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

I love this site and the members. Good or bad, right or wrong, agree or disagree everyone is passionate about their position. Thanks for the all the input. I think I'll just skip carrying three. I saw a post recently by a guy named Puncho where he was going to carry a S&W 500. I think I'll go that route and combine the firepower of three guns into one....

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Tackleberry's love scene

We need to find a clip of that and post it.
    Can't find the love scene but I found this one

YouTube - Police Academy 2 - ( The best of Tackleberry )

And another, lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bye_TBwuNEA

How many guns is too many to carry?

I'm gonna say 9.
    Figure one on each ankle, one on each hip, one in a shoulder holster under each arm, one S.O.B., then another in a belly band appendix carry. So that's 8. I can't figure out where else to put one unless you get one of these:

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links