Application times are way too long!

This is a discussion on Application times are way too long! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a situation that has bugged me for a long time. I read posters from other states, Iím in MN, that talk about months ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Application times are way too long!

Application times are way too long!

This is a situation that has bugged me for a long time. I read posters from other states, Iím in MN, that talk about months and months until they get their carry permits. In MN its 30 days or I can walk into my sheriffís office and get my permit as it is considered issued at that point. What can possibly be taking so long other than the issuing authority simply dragging their feet? I know for a fact that the average personís background check in MN with no problems will take no more than a couple days so even 30 days is about 28 too many. After all, we do have computers. What do you guys/gals think?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

The college kid typing in the info will get to it as soon as he finishes posting to his ongoing forum argument. Ok, oh wait, he has a text message now, hold on. Darn work days over, he'll get to the apps. first thing in the morning.

I'm right there with ya. I'm on day 139 down here, and there are others that have been waiting longer than me. Supposed to be a 60 day time frame per Texas statute.
    "Life's hard, it's even harder when you're stupid."John Wayne

NRA
    IDPA

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texxas guy View Post
    I'm right there with ya. I'm on day 139 down here, and there are others that have been waiting longer than me. Supposed to be a 60 day time frame per Texas statute.

I got mine after 137 days and a lot of very polite phone calls to the tech processing my application. Harris Co is a killer on BG checks.

About a week in AZ.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Just another form of 'anti-gun' protest...IMHO

OK, we all know that a background check can be done in about an hour...our school district does it all the time with fingerprints by computer. Now think about how long it takes to get your driver's license...anyone wait months for that? Most walk out of the DMV with a license in hand, and the same could be done with a CCW permit. Again, I refer to my opening statement.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Just another form of 'anti-gun' protest...IMHO

OK, we all know that a background check can be done in about an hour...our school district does it all the time with fingerprints by computer. Now think about how long it takes to get your driver's license...anyone wait months for that? Most walk out of the DMV with a license in hand, and the same could be done with a CCW permit. Again, I refer to my opening statement.
    Agreed. Seems like some states figure less people will consider hetting one if they can make it more difficult or annoying.

PA says 45 days but most counties are 2 weeks or less. Philly being the exception.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

In Virginia we have a good law that if your permit is neither processed nor denied within 45 days, then your application fee receipt becomes a de facto permit for up to 90 days from the 45-day mark.

I got my permit in February in 13 days (Loudoun county, reasonably gun-friendly). My friend in the People's Republic of Fairfax County got his permit on exactly the 45th day, and yes they wait until the last moment quite deliberately.

wow, things sure have started to drag out. When I got mine it took a total of 5 business days from payment to mailbox. 139 days and counting is insane. There has to be something wrong with that.

i hear you on that one im from salt lake city, Ut. and im on 2 month now.

Utah is draggin' AS*. I sent my stuff in May 7, still no action. Ouch.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    PA statute

18 Pa.C.S. sec 6109 Licences

"A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license."

Most of the time it's quicker though
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

In Texas if you owe taxes or back child support etc. they will not issue a license,has nothing to do with criminal background check,but you can get a non resident florida permit and carry in texas even if you can't get a resident texas,that there is politics
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In colifornia, permits are issued by county, some counties refuse to issue at all. The ones that do, the time from "first interview" to permit received in the mail is 3-4 MONTHS!!

Nevada took 8 or 9 days from the day I applied, and UT took maybe 3 months and that was total time from when I first sent it out unitl I got it in the mail..they had to send it back to fix something..both were a year ago..I am currently waiting on FL now..only been a week, lol. I never got FL because FL always exepted NV..until NV dropped them..and since I travel there 3 times a year at least...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links