Issues why you can't get a CCW permit?

This is a discussion on Issues why you can't get a CCW permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It will probably show you were arrested for the theft,but then you submit the court case showing that the charges were deferred after completing the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issues why you can't get a CCW permit?

It will probably show you were arrested for the theft,but then you submit the court case showing that the charges were deferred after completing the requirements
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

With all that said, I guess that there is only one way to truly find out,

and thats to put in for the permit, i wouldnt sweat it that much, it was along time ago, a minor infraction and was supposed to be expunged.

If your that worried about if it was expunged or not, just got to the court house where you went to court and have them pull the record up..

If it was expunger there will be no evidence of it, if it wasnt expunged then your name will show up with the charge that you went to court for....

If you went to court then its a matter of public record,,, just go and check it out for yourself....

If the charge is still showing up, get a lawyer and file a motion for expungment,,, should cost around $500.00 to do that..

great, thanks everyone!

me
    Have you run a background check on yourself? You may try that, if it is going to show up to them it will to you on that also.

In my chosen vocation I run an annual Background heck on myself just to keep on file incase anyone asks. I know I am clean so I hide nothing from the parents of the youth at my church.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    there are a lot of good replies and info for you in this thread, however you need to hear from someone from Utah to make sure that everything is good to go concerning Utah's regs
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Obviously didn't take Metal Gear Solid... you got caught! ;)

But seriously, good luck with the CCW process and we're pulling for ya.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    I'm just curious...I haven't filed for a permit yet. I'm 31 and when I was 18, did some stupid things. Paid court fees and did some community service. They said it was wiped from record.

Fast forward 13+ years....totally spotless record. What do they look at for obtaining a permit? I'd like not to waste money on an application if it's going to be denied.

Do anyone have knowledge to this?

thanks
    matt
    If this was done at 18, I doubt that it was wiped clean. Before 18, maybe. Anyway, the application in your state asks:

☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of a crime of violence?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol? (i.e. DUI/DWI, alcohol related reckless, supply alcohol to minor, etc
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude? (i.e., theft, criminal mischief, sex crimes, etc.)
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been arrested for any offense involving domestic violence?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been adjudicated as mentally incompetent?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been involved in any incident in which you have used unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Are you currently subject to a court sanctioned protective order?
    ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces?

I woud guess that if you have to answer YES to any of these, you probably need not apply. There is an e-mail address and phone number on the app for questions. That would be the best place to start:
    If you have any questions for the BCI Firearms Division, you may contact us by phone (801) 965-4445 or eMail to DPSFIREARMS@utah.gov.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Thanks for all the iput/information. Since I can answer NO to the above (charged...never convicted), I should be ok.

In Missouri, we do this through the Sherrif's office. I have found them to be extremely helpful. I would go in and ask. Otherwise, I think you'll be fine. One way or another, you're going to know for sure if you try.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will undoubtedly have the support of Paul.

We all make stupid mistakes,this is onea those cases that even had you been convicted of the felony the circumstances afterwards and the type of crime shouldn't prevent you from being able to purchase a firearm for protection,but in a lot of places it would
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    You will probably be fine since you have displayed you can stay out of trouble since that happened. I don't believe there is any such thing as an expunged record. Somewhere the data still exist and it can be found if it is looked for. I would do it if I were you.

Permit and expungements

I have an expungement from 30 years ago. The background check will find it, but as long as you disclose it (do not try to hide it), you should be fine. I have my cc permit. I also called Utah to see about an out of state permit and as long as my past bad decision was expunged I was told I was ok. So, make sure your record has been expunged before you apply.

There's more to an Expungement than you may know, just bc you filed for an order of expungement, and it may have been stricken from the computer records,

well that doesnt always mean that it was marked our or covered up in the court records office, they are supposed to physcially mark out your name and any charges you may have,

this is not always done thourghly, you can check yourself and see if it was removed from the court records yourself

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links