Storing when travelling through state without recprocity?

This is a discussion on Storing when travelling through state without recprocity? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Northern VA, and my business often takes me through Maryland and D.C, which are obviously not gun-friendly, and have no reciprocity with ...

Thread: Storing when travelling through state without recprocity?

Storing when travelling through state without recprocity?

I live in Northern VA, and my business often takes me through Maryland and D.C, which are obviously not gun-friendly, and have no reciprocity with VA.

So it ends up that because when I leave the house the chances of me having to travel across the state line is high, I end up not carrying at all, even in the area where I have the permit to carry!

my question is: Assuming I'm traveling by car, what's the best way to store to my pistol so that I don't get picked up? in the glove compartment locked and unloaded? Or does it need to go all the way to the trunk?

2. Remove Ads

Not a lawyer here but I believe it needs to be out of your domain, i.e. out of your reach from the driver's seat. So trunk or rear cargo well is best. Unloaded and enclosed in a locked hard case, ammo separate, is best & safest, then you are protected to federal interstate travel rules. Check handgunlaw.us for better info.

Check with the state's attorney general. They usually have the code on their website or can direct you to it. I'd print it and have it with me while I was in their state.

In our case (Iowa), the gun must be wrapped or in a secured container, too large to conceal on the body and out of the reach of any passenger in the vehicle.

There is a precedent regarding 'peaceable journey' as well. Essentially, if you're just travelling through without stopping, some laws don't apply unless you're commiting a crime while doing so. That would include speeding, driving without a license, rolling through a stop sign, etc.

Theirs will be different, of course, but that'll give ya a few things to think about!

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

+1 on what HKDan posted. Check with that State's Attorney General. Make sure you inform that office that you do possess a valid CCW permit that does not have reciprocity in their particular State. It helps establish that you are willing to follow the law to protect yourself from harm and legal action.

Once you have an answer, hopefully you know to request where you can locate the information in writing, retain the information in your vehicle/on your person while in their State and follow the rules to the fullest.

Be kind and courteous and you should receive the same in return.

tag

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Fron a legal standpoint, the police cannot look in a locked glovebox or console if you don't give your consent. They can search the accessable areas of the passenger compartment, such as under your seat, between the seats, etc., wherever you could reach for a weapon. Even storing it in a locked briefcase would be safe from search.
    They may search anywhere in your car if you're arrested, but I wouldn't give then probable cause to effect an arrest. Be courteous but firm in standing up for your rights.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

+1 with Automatic Slim, et al.
    Properly stored and out of reach seems to be the safest and surest way, right after a large helping of courtesy.

I picked up a very inexpensive vehicle gun safe from glockstore.com. About $30.00 and you can lock you gun in your car whenever you have to enter a federal building, drive through an state that does not acknowledge your CCW permit, etc. I've even had to use it to transport my firearm when I had to fly unexpectedly and couldn't get home to pack (place the locked case in your backpack, and check the whole thing...)

Works great. Smells a little funny for a while, but it'll air out.

My .02
    NRA Member

Links