Carry Weapon When Mowing

This is a discussion on Carry Weapon When Mowing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The thing that got the idea of getting a CCW permit back on my mind recently was reading about the rape and murder of a ...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Carry Weapon When Mowing

I'm ready to embrace my paranoia.

The thing that got the idea of getting a CCW permit back on my mind recently was reading about the rape and murder of a couple in Knoxville, TN that has been in the news again lately because the BG's who did it are on trial.

The people who did it captured them in an apartment parking lot and took them 6 miles to their, the criminals', neighborhood before raping both the man and the woman and killing them both.

My point, which seems to be fairly recognized already, is that the criminals can travel and know where the money is.

When I read that article I was already nervous because my apartment complex hasn't been keeping the gate closed at night like they're supposed to, consistently at least. And recently my wife was leered at by a group of roofers on a rooftop next to our apartment complex.

Lots of people don't mow their lawn but instead hire a company to do it. That company, like the roofing company operating near my home, probably employs people who don't live in areas where they can afford to hire someone else to cut their lawn. They might not be of a mindset to bother the people where they work, but that might not stop them from complaining about the "rich people where they work" while they are having a drink in their local watering hole or talking to their not as law abiding neighbors. Not to mention all of the landscapers that hire day labourers.

I think society has reached the point where carrying always has become necessary. I can't get my permit soon enough.

It does make me feel paranoid, but I remember a friend I had in the student senate in college who would often say "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

It's going to take me a month or two to get my CCW probably, but in the meantime I'm praying constantly, have a gun next to my bed, and have bought my wife a pepper spray.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    Not to mention all of the landscapers that hire day labourers.

I think society has reached the point where carrying always has become necessary. I can't get my permit soon enough.

The people who did it captured them in an apartment parking lot and took them 6 miles to their, the criminals', neighborhood before raping both the man and the woman and killing them both.
    I read that story. Tragic.

My point, which seems to be fairly recognized already, is that the criminals can travel and know where the money is.
    They know where the women are also, as you alluded to, by minimal observation. Or sometimes they break in to steal, and finding women or girls, their intent changes.

Ghastly Details In Conn. Home Invasion - CBS News
    UNFATHOMABLE (Connecticut home invasion robbery/murders)

Whether you have day laborers around or not, you are right to be concerned.

Some gypsies robbed a coworker's house when she was in the back yard cutting grass. She lived in a nice neighborhood. The gypsies figured out how to use the roads. So have the thugs.

I think society has reached the point where carrying always has become necessary.
    It has been that way for the past 12-15yrs or so, IMO. The greater the number of upstanding folks who carry, the safer it'll be for everyone. Yes, there will be more "shootings" due to greater resistance, more absolute refusal to be taken advantage of. That's a good thing. The ONLY way criminals on the prowl are going to be thwarted is if they're stopped on the instant of crime happening. History shows that having the means to stop them 15mins later doesn't thwart anything.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    They know where the women are also, as you alluded to, by minimal observation. Or sometimes they break in to steal, and finding women or girls, their intent changes.
    It does appear that this was one of those situations (Knoxville). The accused are claiming their intent was only to carjack. It's difficult to know what caused it to escalate.

I agree with the other comment that society standing up for itself more will reduce the amount of crime, while at least for a time increasing the number of shootings. Along with that I believe that consistent enforcement of the laws on the books instead of coddling those who commit the crimes will have a similar effect.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    either usually open because i dont want to wear my nice carry shirts wile mowing grass
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

My wife needs a hobby, so she cuts the grass.

I stay inside and drink a beer for her and empty the ashtray in the den. I do it because I love her.

Actually, I wear the same guns when I'm cutting the grass as if I was going to the grocery store. I don't change due to whatever chore I am doing, as I'm most familiar with what I carry when I'm not cutting the grass.

Biker

It does appear that this was one of those situations (Knoxville). The accused are claiming their intent was only to carjack. It's difficult to know what caused it to escalate.

It was escalated by the actions of the felons.

I agree with the other comment that society standing up for itself more will reduce the amount of crime, while at least for a time increasing the number of shootings. Along with that I believe that consistent enforcement of the laws on the books instead of coddling those who commit the crimes will have a similar effect.
    You may only have the intention of taking my car. Heck, I'll give you my car to keep from shooting someone. The problem is, when you point a deadly weapon at me I have to assume that you intend to do me harm and as a reasonable person, can only respond as such.

Society may or may not be "safer". I don't know and I don't care. I am only concerned with my safety and the safety of those I love. I will take certain precautions and steps to ensure my, and my family's safety. If you choose not to do so, who am I to argue?

Even if we lock all the badguys up, we will still have people commiting crimes. That's just the nature of the beast. Criminals are not much into looking at the longterm risk/benefit analysis. They will look at the short term risk/benefits though. That short term equation is the one you are looking to influence, IMHO.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Actually, I wear the same guns when I'm cutting the grass as if I was going to the grocery store.
    Yup. Mowing isn't markedly different from the dentist, or grocery, or theatre, or lolling in the park, or having lunch at the cafe to read the paper, or coming home from work. There are examples of criminals striking people everywhere, with as great intensity and violence as anywhere else.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I always carry. Even moving the lawn and washing the cars. I tend to use my smartcarry holster more during these times.

After reading this thread last week, I cut my grass with my PM9 carried OWB but concealed beneath my shirt (had to ditch the Aero - ammo was too hard to get and the recoil damaged the hood, plus I might get separated from the mower). Of course with the mower going and my MP3 player in my headphones situational awareness = 0.

I dont make it a point to carry when Im on the ole zero turn but if I happen to be carrying....so be it. Its usually OC....HK45
    Regards,
    Shane Stagg
    Coopersburg, PA
    NRA Lifetime Member
    USCCA Member
    NAFC Lifetime Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    More grist for the mill:

What's it like being in recent gun battle | recent, lawnmower, cut - Local News - WaltonSun.com

What's it like being in recent gun battle
    Cutting the grass can be extremely dangerous.
    August 29, 2009 2:43 PM
    Chick Huettel
    HIGH TIDE
    'Twas a lovely day. I cranked up the lawnmower did my yard and then push the clunker across the sand road in front of my house and proceeded to go ahead and cut my neighbor Sandi’s grass as she had no mower. Oh well, I’ll do Yvonne’s too who was next door and lived alone.

So I cut her front and proceeded to the backyard.

Pop!

I knew that sound! I was shot at twice while on the Memphis Police Department. Then another “pop’! This time came the zoom of a slug and struck the house wall! Down I went on the ground and tried to get under the house. Then came the bad guy. I looked up and there he was running across my new cut grass giving me a look but never stopping his stride. He was fast and dressed only in shorts…but that stainless steel pistol in his hand did a number on me for sure. There I was laid flat with only my lawn mower for a weapon. Geez!

He kept going across the yard then made a slight turn. I went the other way full stride. There I was running and the sheriff guys running up the road. I was in between the bandito and the deputies. Now there was an uncomfortable feeling. I was out in the road waving so wouldn’t get “popped” by the lawmen and all the while pointing that he went in that direction.

I took back off to the house breaking a new all time minute mile record, came in the door panting yelling at my wife to lock the doors and I proceeded to my gun drawer.

There it lay, my old police 38 service revolver…and like a good friend was ready to go. I went back out and was asked to go to my dock to see if I could spot the subject in the water. Another deputy accompanied me and we took up our post.

After about two hours I went back across the street to get my poor little lawnmower that stood there shaking and upset that I had cowardly left it with bullets flying. As I pushed it there on the ground was the bandito’s sunglasses, at least I thought the were, they definitely were not mine.

So I pushed the rescued machine back home, got a napkin and went back over to retrieved the sunglass and took them to a deputy’s car. He packaged them and I went back to guard duty on the dock, the deputy was still there using my binoculars.

I counted 12 law cars lined up on my street. And watched the fellas go from house to house with all types of guns at ready. Boy did that bring back police memories! They even looked in boats at the various docks.

Then came the dogs and I went inside. I was eaten by one of them accidentally on the while on the department. They hurt.

As night approached, wife Cathy and I just hunkered down and slept with my blue steel Model 38 Smith & Wesson.

Yes, “me” thinks I may keep it holstered on my lawnmower from now on.

Fair winds to ye, matey.

Chick Huettel is a local historian, writer and artist. He lives in the Point Washington area
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    How about a shower gun? make sure it's stainless. when carrying a toilet gun make sure it has enough power to shoot through the stall door.
    Some times I think we all get a little carried away. It pays to be cautious but being paranoid can screw up your life.
    I concur, I agree, be cautious at all times, but we can get carried away.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I carry mine if I'm going out to check the mail.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Links