Bank calls my place of employment for asking a gun question - Page 3

Bank calls my place of employment for asking a gun question

This is a discussion on Bank calls my place of employment for asking a gun question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan I hate to tell you, but I don't believe the law was broken. It is not illegal to do so but ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bank calls my place of employment for asking a gun question

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    I hate to tell you, but I don't believe the law was broken.

It is not illegal to do so but it is an A-hole thing to do. I am sorry but you have no legal case.

What he said. You have a legal right to change banks...that's about it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

You also have the legal right to sue anybody for anything you want, whether you have good reason or not. That's the way the legal system works in the US, and why we have so many attorney's running around.

It seems to me that you may have good cause to sue, and at a minimum it's probably worth talking to an attorney to see what your options are.

I am at odds with most of the replies here. I do not believe that you have any legal recourse because you have not suffered any harm.

The bank called the payor on the check. Why is not known but it easily could be covered by claiming that they were verifying the check. So, the contact with the company did not harm you.

The comment about you carrying a gun was unnecessary but they could have been checking to see if your carrying a weapon was in the course and scope of your employment due to your comments about carrying in the bank. A "misunderstanding" between you and the teller is what will be claimed to have happened. Again, no harm to you as you brought up the subject.

Any ramifications between you and your employer will be based on your comments at the bank about carrying a gun. This is directly attributable to you and not the bank or your employer.

So, I do not see that you have any sort of legal case at all. You might write a letter to the bank explaining what happened and that you are not pleased that the bank notified your employer regarding something that does not concern the employer. However, with your apparent lack of writing skills and punctuation, I believe that you will only dig a deeper hole for yourself and waste everyone's time. You certainly will not get any sort of compensation or admission from the bank for what happened.

VIP Member
    Yeah it sucks but you had no reasonable expectation of privacy when you asked your question unless you put conditions on it prior to asking and they agreed to them.

I personally would talk to the branch manager and let him know how I felt about the incident and then just let it go.

That's just me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I made my best attempt to understand your story and this is what I got:

Quote Originally Posted by Fdisk View Post
    I went to pick up my check today and my place of employment asked me if I was carrying a gun and if I had a permit. Now, the place I work at is a health care facility and [they] are antigun.

I told them "No" I wasn't carrying but "Yes, I do have a permit" and they proceeded to tell me the bank had called them to say "One of [your] employees had asked what [our] policy was on open carry in the bank" (which was me).

They told. I listened. No problem.

Now, I provide care for my wife who is disabled, and being disabled she gets a disablity 'check'. Well I guess you could [call] it that, but anyway... She is automatically on Medicade and they pay this company to pay me and, as I said, they are anti gun.

So, what right did the bank have to do this?

And, if I lose my job, do I have any recourse?
    From what you say, the bank did not actually mention you in their conversation with your employer. The bank just said "One of your employees..." Perhaps the bank just wondered if all of your fellow employees have been carrying firearms into the bank. Your employer then asked all of their employees (or maybe just a few) if they had a permit or were carrying a gun. You were the one that told your employer that you have a permit.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you were the one who 'let the cat out of the bag', all over town.

I have no idea what right the bank may or may not have had to speak with your employer. I also have no idea what recourse you will have if you lose your job. Ask a lawyer about that. Hopefully, you have learned at least one lesson from this experience!

You could have called the bank, anonymously, to ask about open carry. You could have denied that you have a permit when your 'anti-gun' boss asked about it. You could have kept your own secret. But that's not as much fun as telling everyone about your superhero status, is it?

Unfortunately, there are not many places in which you can actually openly carry a gun or speak about it without increasing your risk of having to deal with some kind of repercussions. That's what internet forums are for. If I open carry at the grocery store, I might run into my boss or a coworker. If you 'yap' about it constantly, someone will find out. Weigh the risk ahead of time instead of complaining about it later.

If those repercussions affect your paycheck, maybe you'll learn the hard way to keep your mouth shut and your gun concealed around people who couldn't care less about your safety. You've got to watch your own back, in more than one way.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Sue, sue, sue!! You have been damaged and you have suffered irreparable harm. There is not enough money to make you whole.

Sue the bank, sue the employer. Sue the phone company for allowing that conversation to have taken place. Sue your attorney for not being proactive and stopping this before it occured. And sue the next attorney if he won't take the case.

If only one of these lawsuits is succeeful then you can retire in luxury. You deserve it!

Or, you can just go about your life.

Wow,, I to must say that society is way too obsessed with the whole sue sue sue, if you feel that your privacy has been violated then by all means sue, but I think you will be fine if you dont... JM .02

Fdisk, personally I would wait and see and also take my business elsewhere. We live pretty close and I OC a lot in Hickory. If you would not mind, I would like to know the bank and branch. PM is fine. I try to vote with my money so to speak. If you don't like my RTKABA, or OC, then you don't need my money! Good luck, sometimes forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    Just so it was a privately owned bank your GTG, unless it was federally owned you have no need to ask their thoughts or view
    There are no "federally owned" banks. All banks are private institutions and may be federally "chartered" or state chartered.

Even the Federal Reserve is a private, not a government institution.

There is no federal prohibition against carrying in banks - state law only - and it varies from state to state.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I think, by the varying opinions, you owe it to yourself to check with an NRA recommended attorney or perhaps an attorney recommended by friends or family, just for peace of mind, if nothing else.

I do want to speak up for the OP however...Guys, I think it's kind of sad when you belittle someone based on their grammar, phrasing of a situation,question on guns, etc. Everyone can't be Shakespeare, Stephen King, your high school English teacher, or your college journalism professor, an AK armorer, or the best Tactical Instructor around, but for sure, if they are on the forum with us, we deserve to give each other respect, rather than ridicule. ..Sorry, had to get that off my chest...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I think, by the varying opinions, you owe it to yourself to check with an NRA recommended attorney or perhaps an attorney recommended by friends or family, just for peace of mind, if nothing else.

I do want to speak up for the OP however...Guys, I think it's kind of sad when you belittle someone based on their grammar, phrasing of a situation,question on guns, etc. Everyone can't be Shakespeare, Stephen King, your high school English teacher, or your college journalism professor, an AK armorer, or the best Tactical Instructor around, but for sure, if they are on the forum with us, we deserve to give each other respect, rather than ridicule. ..Sorry, had to get that off my chest...
    First Shirt, well said!
    However, OC or not guns in banks are a bad idea in NC.
    Why, the loop hole law we have about going armed to the terror of the public.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Fdisk, personally I would wait and see and also take my business elsewhere. We live pretty close and I OC a lot in Hickory. If you would not mind, I would like to know the bank and branch. PM is fine. I try to vote with my money so to speak. If you don't like my RTKABA, or OC, then you don't need my money! Good luck, sometimes forgiveness is easier to get than permission.
    Parkway bank

My first visit would be to the bank & may just find another one.
    Coarse the VP at my bank talks defense & carry w/ me on occasion.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    What if the bank apologizes and reprimands their employee? Do you continue your lawsuit or is this all about getting paid?
    Your concept of being awarded a monetary settlement in a court case is flawed. The plaintiff has suffered a loss. A court awarded settlement is a way of trying to right the wrong that has been done. It's not perfect but it would be impractical for the court to have the bank manager mow the guy's lawn for three years.

To answer your question it's not about getting paid at all. It's always about making things right and hoping to influence the bank and it's employees future actions for the good.

To all who would say it's no big deal try to put yourself in the original posters position. A bank, an institution that owes all of it's customers a very high degree of privacy, phoned the OP's employer and discussed his gun habits. It's not a whole lot different than say his doctor calling his employer and saying "oh by the way this employee of yours just tested positive for HIV." He has excellent grounds for a lawsuit and should bring one if for no other reason than to protect people like you and me from this same kind of attack from this same bank.

Lastly, finally, apologies and reprimands means nothing. I'm sure the bank would like nothing better than to sweep this way back under the rug. That won't help anybody but the bank.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    Your concept of being awarded a monetary settlement in a court case is flawed. The plaintiff has suffered a loss.
    Nonsense. In this case, there is no loss and no damages. Most people scream 'Sue!' to win the idiotic justice system lottery. If we went to the far superior, loser pays system, the frivolous lawsuits would come to an end.

A court awarded settlement is a way of trying to right the wrong that has been done. It's not perfect but it would be impractical for the court to have the bank manager mow the guy's lawn for three years.
    Or the guy should be required to work at the bank for causing inconvenience, right?

To answer your question it's not about getting paid at all. It's always about making things right and hoping to influence the bank and it's employees future actions for the good.
    And what makes you think the bank's actions weren't for the good? Because of your opinion?

The fact is that the OP never mentioned a lawsuit. It was some of the posters that irresponsibity suggested the OP waste his time and money to consult a lawyer.

To all who would say it's no big deal try to put yourself in the original posters position. A bank, an institution that owes all of it's customers a very high degree of privacy, phoned the OP's employer and discussed his gun habits. It's not a whole lot different than say his doctor calling his employer and saying "oh by the way this employee of yours just tested positive for HIV."
    It is hugely different. There is a LAW against the doctor divulging information.

He has excellent grounds for a lawsuit and should bring one if for no other reason than to protect people like you and me from this same kind of attack from this same bank.
    What attack? I assume you would be willing to pay the costs for the frivolous lawsuit you are suggesting. You know, to protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    First Shirt, well said!
    However, OC or not guns in banks are a bad idea in NC.
    Why, the loop hole law we have about going armed to the terror of the public.
    On a personal level I'm torn about whether I will OC in a bank. But that's my issue. GATTTOTP is a loophole? Cite me a case where it has been successfully prosecuted on it's own. It is simply an add on charge. Most folks that are charged with that are doing something else to break the law first. OC only meets two criteria of GATTTOTP. Dangerous weapon and potentially go about on public highways. You need to meet all 4 to be charged. I contend that an OC handgun is not for "the purpose of terrifying others."

"By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to

1- arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon,

2- for the purpose of terrifying others, and

3- go about on public highways

4- in a manner to cause terror to others.

The N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense."

More likely they will try to get you for trespassing if they try anything. GATTTOTP is not even on my radar for worries while OC'ing.

Thanks for the info Fdisk.
    Last edited by chiefjason; August 15th, 2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added stuff

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links