Defensive Carry banner

Bank calls my place of employment for asking a gun question

13K views 118 replies 68 participants last post by  gottabkiddin 
#1 ·
I went to pick up my check today and my place of employment
ask me if i was carring a gun and if i had a permet now the place i work at is a health care facility and are antigun i told them now i wasnt carring but yes i do have a permet and thy proceded to tell me the bank had called them to say one of there employ's had ask what there policy was on open carry in the bank witch was me.
they told i listen no problem.
Now i provide care for my wife who is disabled and being disabled she gets a disablity check well i guess you could it that but anyway
she is automactily on medicade and they pay this company to pay me
and as i said they are anti gun.
so what right did the bank have to do this ?
and if i lose my job do i have any recourse ?.

#15 ·
Call Morgan and Morgan... for the people.

Well, that places you firmly in Tampa Bay... that guy is so life-like... like the Presidents at Disneyland...

:rofl:

#11 ·
Have your Lawyer sit down with them.

I am under the impression you were not carrying at the time just asking the bank for their opinion on open carry?

IANAL but my guess is that since the bank records said where you work, the had to use private information to know where to contact. By contacting the employer with information about you beyond banking transactions between the bank and the place of employment (your paycheck) there is a possible second violation.

#16 ·
Why ask? If they aren't posted and it's not against the law, you're GTG. A bank employee's opinion doesn't mean squat one way or the other. If you want to ask someone's opinion call the AG. As they say - always carry, never tell (or ask). Don't see a violation of privacy here - employer name on the check and no privileged communication btwn bank and customer.

#52 ·
Why ask? If they aren't posted and it's not against the law, you're GTG. A bank employee's opinion doesn't mean squat one way or the other. If you want to ask someone's opinion call the AG. As they say - always carry, never tell (or ask).
+1

Words to CC by.:danceban:

#19 · (Edited)
For the time being I would just I would just go back to work. Now if the telephone call from the bank employee gets you fired, that is when you need to talk to an attorney. The bank employee had no business calling your employer.

Maybe a telephone call from an attorney to the human resources department where you work might be a good start. In this case, consulting with an attorney might be a wise move all the same. I'm still at a loss as to why a bank employee would call your employer.

#38 ·
There are no "federally owned" banks. All banks are private institutions and may be federally "chartered" or state chartered.

Even the Federal Reserve is a private, not a government institution.

There is no federal prohibition against carrying in banks - state law only - and it varies from state to state.

#21 ·
I too had trouble following the story.

My first thought is that I don't understand why you discussed guns with the bank at all. If concealed carry is legal for you and the place isn't posted then there is no issue. If open carry is legal and the place is not posted then there is nothing to discuss either. If you were open carrying (legally) and someone in the bank objected, there was nothing to discuss. Leave. It is private property and they can ask you to leave.

Now, this business of the bank calling your employer is strange. I don't know what to think of that.

I assume that your employer disallows carry at work and that you are in compliance with their rules. SO, there should be no problem at all for you.

If there is, then maybe you will have a case.

Do keep in mind that business people are often sophisticated about protecting themselves. They could wait 8 weeks and let you go for no reason at all beyond you are no longer needed, and then you can't tie the two events to each other. Still, my guess is that there will be no repercussions from the bank's phone call to your employer and you should do nothing but continue to follow both the letter of the law and the rules your employer has in place.

#22 ·
LAWSUIT LAWSUIT LAWSUIT.....

Nobody has any right to contact somebodys employer like that; the bank employee that called just exposed their company (the bank) to a huge amount of legal liability.

I would also find another bank, BTW....

#60 ·
I would also find another bank, BTW....
I've seen a few people say this, but:

Its not my bank
The bank is my employers bank and the check i cashed had the company name but of course the had all there acount info.
There are a lot of comments about how the bank violated HIS privacy and HIS customer rights. That is not the case. THE BANK CONTACTED THEIR BUSINESS CUSTOMER ABOUT THE ACTIONS OF ONE OF THAT CUSTOMER'S EMPLOYEES WHILE ON THEIR PREMISES.

IANAL, but I don't see any recourse at all, even if he is terminated directly as a result.

#23 ·
I agree with all the others. Your right to privacy has been violated, if not a matter for a good lawyer, then at least someone at that bank needs to apologise in writing, after being reprimanded by their employer. If this effects your employment, than for certain your should get legal help.

#24 ·
Do not have a sit down with the bank manager. Do not have your attorney have a sit down with the bank. Have the NRA refer you to a local attorney who works in this area. Sue the bank for invasion of privacy etc., etc. The bank owes a very high degree of privacy to it's customers. They dropped the ball big time when they called your employer. They are now in a very high degree of culpability. Look up the word if necessary. I think you'll find it interesting. Bottom line, if you do as some have suggested and follow this up with an NRA recommended lawyer you will be getting a very nice check from the bank somewhere down the line. More important you will be teaching the bank and all of it's employees in all of it's branches a very important lesson. Do the right thing.

Note: When banks become aware of an issue that may cost them money or customers or community good will they take steps to kill the threat. If you take the actions listed above all employees of the bank everywhere they do business will be getting instructions that this or anything like it is never to happen again.

#27 ·
I hate to tell you, but I don't believe the law was broken. What legal recourse do you have for them mentioning that you asked about carrying a pistol? They did not disclose your finances to your boss, the business between you two is not protected like it is between doctors and patients or lawyers and clients.

It was a legal thing they did as you came into a public place they owned and asked a question. As far as them using your check to get your employers name, then it is a simple matter of a Google search for their offices. Or perhaps you wore a uniform from work, a bank employee saw you at work, or found your place of work somehow. If I knew your name and saw your check I could easily call and report you to your boss. It is not illegal to do so but it is an A-hole thing to do. I am sorry but you have no legal case.

#29 ·
No slander either

I hate to tell you, but I don't believe the law was broken. What legal recourse do you have for them mentioning that you asked about carrying a pistol? They did not disclose your finances to your boss, the business between you two is not protected like it is between doctors and patients or lawyers and clients.
Not only what Oldskoolfan wrote, but there was no slander as the bank employee didn't lie about what occurred. OTOH, the act may have been malicious. Intent is hard to discern and can be easily covered over with other stories.

I too think op should just go about his life unless something happens in the near term which can be clearly tied to what the bank did.

Also, find a different bank or use a different branch of the same bank so you won't have to deal with that one particular employee.

#28 ·
Sue, sue, sue!! You have been damaged and you have suffered irreparable harm. There is not enough money to make you whole.

Sue the bank, sue the employer. Sue the phone company for allowing that conversation to have taken place. Sue your attorney for not being proactive and stopping this before it occured. And sue the next attorney if he won't take the case.

If only one of these lawsuits is succeeful then you can retire in luxury. You deserve it!

Or, you can just go about your life.

#30 ·
If they really did nothing illegal then my next step would be to do as much as I could do legally to publicize their lack of privacy for customers banking their so all customers would know how they do business & handle their privacy.

I would make sure I was very truthful with what ever I did though.

#97 ·
I have to agree with comment above and the others that have suggested a sit down with the bank manager at the very least. There is NO REASON the bank should be calling the employer reguarding the
OP's original question. That was a personal matter between the OP and the bank. What if he had walked in this specific day to ask the question without actually doing any banking business. Would it be legal and ethical for the bank to search their data base to find out where he worked? I would assume that the bank has policies in place that prohibit "Data Mining".

The posters rights have been violated. I would make sure the all the bank employees are made away that this is unacceptable.

#32 ·
You also have the legal right to sue anybody for anything you want, whether you have good reason or not. That's the way the legal system works in the US, and why we have so many attorney's running around.

It seems to me that you may have good cause to sue, and at a minimum it's probably worth talking to an attorney to see what your options are.

#33 ·
I am at odds with most of the replies here. I do not believe that you have any legal recourse because you have not suffered any harm.

The bank called the payor on the check. Why is not known but it easily could be covered by claiming that they were verifying the check. So, the contact with the company did not harm you.

The comment about you carrying a gun was unnecessary but they could have been checking to see if your carrying a weapon was in the course and scope of your employment due to your comments about carrying in the bank. A "misunderstanding" between you and the teller is what will be claimed to have happened. Again, no harm to you as you brought up the subject.

Any ramifications between you and your employer will be based on your comments at the bank about carrying a gun. This is directly attributable to you and not the bank or your employer.

So, I do not see that you have any sort of legal case at all. You might write a letter to the bank explaining what happened and that you are not pleased that the bank notified your employer regarding something that does not concern the employer. However, with your apparent lack of writing skills and punctuation, I believe that you will only dig a deeper hole for yourself and waste everyone's time. You certainly will not get any sort of compensation or admission from the bank for what happened.

#34 ·
Yeah it sucks but you had no reasonable expectation of privacy when you asked your question unless you put conditions on it prior to asking and they agreed to them.

I personally would talk to the branch manager and let him know how I felt about the incident and then just let it go.

That's just me. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.