What do i say

This is a discussion on What do i say within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 A simple, "For self protection", should be all the answer he needs. +1...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do i say

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    A simple, "For self protection", should be all the answer he needs.
    +1

2. Remove Ads

Your son gave a fine answer, "we are going to the range." If he proceeded to ask more questions, then you might have had to get into some of the other answers that have been suggested. By the way, "self-defense" is the definitive answer in my opinion.

Be polite, honest and to the point. I've never been asked that question, by anyone, but if I were, my answer would be "Because I choose to."
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Every time I see one of these posts I think the same thing. How can a guy that carries a gun to protect himself asks that of someone else doing the same. Geez.

VIP Member
    "Have you seen the news lately officer?"
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I haven't been asked yet but if I ever am, I'll reply... "for the same reason as you do". In fact, I think it's a childish question coming from any LEO who has your permit in his hand.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; August 15th, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    I would just say "for personal protection" and leave it at that.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

This wasn't in Cape Coral, Was it???
    Tony

Officer, I carry for "the protection of myself and my family" ...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I think the least antagonistic response is: "for legal self-defense".
    Thanks for bringing this up, since it will probably happen to most of us at some point sooner or later as long as people have to declare and/or as long as an identifier pops up when your license or car registration is scanned into the systems at stops... but maybe I'm being paranoid. And... anything you say can and will be used in a court of law...etc etc. So, lets not be flippant with the good officer.

its funny my son had to bail me out of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post

Now that's funny!!!! He probably would have looked at you like you were crazy, and may not have even know what a Ma Deuce was!!!
    he sounded more anode that we had guns on us, mind you im 50 years old. so its not like im looking fore trouble .

thanks guys your the best!

I believe I would have told him... I carry a weapon for the same reason he does... self defense...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I disagree with some of the respondents when they say, "because I am an American" or "because I can", or "because it is my right". Although those are all true, there is a time and a place to say them. Being questioned by an LEO is NOT one of them. I don't think they need the attitude. A simple "for personal protection" or "to protect my family and myself" I think is an appropriate answer.

BTW, I was watching an episode of 24. Jack Bauer was impersonating a convenience store robber and had everyone at gun point. He was trying to detain a terrorist until a satellite link could be established to track him. Jack "discovered" a handgun on the terrorist. Jack asked the terrorist, "why do you have this?" The terrorist responded, "for personal protection". Satisfied Jack. Any LEO would understand.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I disagree with some of the respondents when they say, "because I am an American" or "because I can", or "because it is my right". Although those are all true, there is a time and a place to say them. Being questioned by an LEO is NOT one of them. I don't think they need the attitude. A simple "for personal protection" or "to protect my family and myself" I think is an appropriate answer.
    I agree, keep it simple, not snippy. If you haven't thought of it before, now would be a good time for all of us to think of an answer. Hindsight is always 20/20, but a practiced response may be a better solution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links