A great read if your carry... - Page 2

A great read if your carry...

This is a discussion on A great read if your carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tbmccord GoldenSaber, I am not certain if every instructor teaches this in Texas but I know that my Concealed Handgun License (CHL) ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A great read if your carry...

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    GoldenSaber, I am not certain if every instructor teaches this in Texas but I know that my Concealed Handgun License (CHL) Instructor did. I am an NRA instructor and will be a CHL instructor next year. Texas only certifies CHL instructors once each year in June. My wife had knee replacement surgery during the middle of the 40 hour class this year and I had to miss it.

He had a different name for it: Situational Stress. The description was exactly the same.

Any comments from any other Texas CHL holders as to whether it was part of your class or not?
    In Florida the CWP class can be over in 4 hours. Very little actual talk of stress, reactions, etc... Honestly, it is very basic with the most standard answers to questions. Focus is mainly on the state laws pertaining to carry and what you can and can't do. A "single" shot from a real gun / or blank gun qualifies you. Then we're free to go forth and carry. The rest is up to us.

I call bunk on the author's assumptions. Look at his #3 advice - Can't out draw a drawn gun. That takes care of why not to concealing in #1. You would stand a better tactical advantage with OCing in a situation where the perp already has his gun drawn - quicker draw times.

For those that have open carried know that the majority never even notices you are carrying - even when your strong side faces them. So the chance of a criminal coming in, with a task already in mind, scanning the store for people wearing guns is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY. And even if a perp had the thought of scanning for people open carrying - everything would have to be exactly in the perp's favor - the perps entering the store at the proper time the person open carrying was in sight - then the strong side would have to be presented to the perps - eyes of perps would have to travel to strong side and see gun - all the while forgetting about task at hand - the person open carrying not seeing the perps about to come in. I could go on.

The guy that wrote this article is full mis-information - period.

Been a member. I get the magazine. Good reads. I like it.

FlyboyLDB - You state an opinion and he states and opinion. I don't disagree with either of you because it depends on the person. To say that the article is full of mis-information while citing one point you don't agre with..... ok.

I like the site.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Regarding concealed vs. open, my $.02. The "edge" of being concealed may be somewhat overstated in the article versus real life. I just don't hear of open carriers being preemptively gunned down, *yet*. I think the perp would take his "business" elsewhere if he had yet to reveal his cards. After all, that OC could be a lawman, and the stakes go up considerably when you gun down a LEO. However, the net benefit granted by concealed carry would be greatly enhanced in a world where the thing the crook wanted (to kill for) was in-fact the $800 gun on your hip. I don't think we're there yet, but I'm under the impression that such places exist, and if things get worse, who knows? There seem to be strong opinions on either side. I carry concealed, for a myriad of reasons that go beyond the convenience store scenario. Great article; thanks for posting it.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

VIP Member
    You're right; it is a very good read. In fact, I've considered joining that group/forum just of out curiosity.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Very good read, thanks for posting it.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.----George Orwell

Thanks for posting.

I get emails from USCCA every week with great CCW info even tho' I have never joined. Seems like a decent organization.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Good article. I'm going to share it with some friendlies. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    You're right; it is a very good read. In fact, I've considered joining that group/forum just of out curiosity.
    Regards,
    Sign up for the trial membership if they still offer it. I cancelled soon after joining. The only thing I can say is try it and make up your own mind. I thought it was junk. Most think is is some "Official organization" - just an individual with a creative name for his business. This forum blows away their forum. Their magazine is ok, but I assure you the info is in other mags - either before or after. I think it was $79 when I joined.

Open Carry

Not tryin to start an OC Vs CC sort of debate per say...however...if open carry is a bad policy then why do our MOST trained and skilled do it?

Not that a civilian with an open carry permit is a cop in anyway, they're not. But the point in the article was the open carry was a bad move from a tactical standpoint. So by that logic should LEO carry concealed as well? They train more than most, as do military, swat, etc...All carry out in the open.

Perhaps a BG seeing an open carry weapon would deter him or her from starting the situation to begin with. I can see both sides frankly, just know if I agree with CC being a tactical advantage.

Ok, Im done being devil's advocate.

Alex Lohmann

One thing about being human is that each and every one of us has a brain which is unique.

Everyone has an opinion regarding everything discussed. For every point there is a counter point. What works for one, is horrible for another.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned... It was a very good article. It was sound advice and principles held by many esteemed gunmen who have "been there, done that" and lived to tell the tale.

I don't think any expert who holds those principles will deny the opinions of those who may find fault in those principles, simply because of the fact that what works for one, simply may not work for someone else.

I think it's counter productive to deride the article based on ones own prejudices.

My only hope is that by reading it... people learn something and are prompted into wanting to learn more.

JMHO.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Not tryin to start an OC Vs CC sort of debate per say...however...if open carry is a bad policy then why do our MOST trained and skilled do it?

Not that a civilian with an open carry permit is a cop in anyway, they're not. But the point in the article was the open carry was a bad move from a tactical standpoint. So by that logic should LEO carry concealed as well? They train more than most, as do military, swat, etc...All carry out in the open.

Perhaps a BG seeing an open carry weapon would deter him or her from starting the situation to begin with. I can see both sides frankly, just know if I agree with CC being a tactical advantage.

Ok, Im done being devil's advocate.

Alex Lohmann
    Well I think that just about everyone on the earth know that LEO are carring, so it would do no good if the officer was CC, the BG's and the GG's all know part of their uniform is a weapon, kinda late in the game for LEO to try and CC now i think..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Sign up for the trial membership if they still offer it. I cancelled soon after joining. The only thing I can say is try it and make up your own mind. I thought it was junk. Most think is is some "Official organization" - just an individual with a creative name for his business. This forum blows away their forum. Their magazine is ok, but I assure you the info is in other mags - either before or after. I think it was $79 when I joined.
    Yeah, that's sorta what I thought. It appears that every single link within their construct, leads me to another link for something to buy.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Great article..very informative Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links