Defensive Carry banner

Good Leo incident - sort of....

3K views 25 replies 26 participants last post by  paramedic70002 
#1 ·
I was speeding earlier this week and pulled over by Ohio state patrol.

Unfortunately I had misplaced my drivers license and had only my ccw permit for ID.

He asked if I had a valid D without a comment or question on the ccw or any weapons.

7 minutes later I was on my way with a deserved $110 speeding ticket.

#4 ·
With all respect, that is their job and the Ohio State Patrol is known for being tough about enforcement. Actually, per Ohio's Concealed Carry Law you must have at least one additional governmental ID as well as your CCW. So, I'd say he got a break.

#3 ·
Sounds like a sensible cop.:yup:

Only $110? You must have been going 3 mph over...:blink:

#11 ·
My wife's ticket averaged out to $14.00 for each mile per hour over the speed limit. $140.00 for 10 over... but she was actually going faster than that! :frown: Nice copper gave her a break. :wink:

#6 ·
With Virginia State Troopers I have heard they have an open door policy...If they have to open their door your getting a ticket that is the policy. I simply don't give them a reason to open their door and it seems to be working. My wallet appreciates it as well.
Funny thing is I don't really care about the cost of the fine as it is a drop in the bucket compared to the 'fine' you'll be served with by your insurance provider. The insurance company is the one I fear.

#16 ·
How do you misplace your DL, but not your CCW permit? Mine are both in the wallet, the wallet is in my pants. Nothing is misplaced.
Devils advocate if I may :gah: (only because I've done this) when writing a check you have to show DL and on more then one occasion I've shoved the DL into my checkbook instead of putting it back in my wallet and then not been able to find it right away next time :embarassed:
CPL on the other hand never leaves wallet

#10 ·
The primary function of State Highway Patrols, and in many jurisdictions State Police (they are not exactly the same), is to enforce traffic laws. The reason they write more tickets than municipal and county cops is because that is their primary duty. I'm not saying that troopers never give warnings, they do, but seeing as their primary job is to write tickets, they give less.

I'm a municipal cop. My primary job is to place criminal charges, getting a warning from me on a criminal charge is much like getting a warning on a traffic charge from a trooper. It happens, but not really that often.

If I wanted to spend all day working wrecks and writing tickets I would have gone to work for the Highway Patrol, if guys that went to work for the SHP wanted to take reports on criminal offenses and make criminal arrests all day, they would have gone to work for municipal police departments.

They can make criminal arrests, and I can write traffic citations, but our primary functions are different.

#12 ·
Tx troopers main function is traffic enforcement.... 99/100 are getting tickets....

#15 ·
Based on your description, it does sound like the LEO cut you some slack. In some parts, you can be big trouble without the proper I.D.
Regards,

#19 ·
I simply don't give them a reason to open their door and it seems to be working. My wallet appreciates it as well. Funny thing is I don't really care about the cost of the fine as it is a drop in the bucket compared to the 'fine' you'll be served with by your insurance provider. The insurance company is the one I fear.[/QUOTE said:
+1

I had to drive to OH for work on yesterday and as soon as I crossed the state line, I reset the cruise to 65 which is 5 mph below the limit in MI. For me speeding tickets and gambling go in the same bucket. Its giving money away. Insurance is a close third. You give more $$ away to them but at least there is a benefit in the event that you should need it. With tickets and gambling, it just $$ down the drain, and in the case of tickets, you have the added costs to the insurance company.

#20 ·
$110 isn't much at all. 10 years ago I received a ticket for 75 in a 65, iirc. Also, most OHP won't bother to open their door unless you are at least 5 over.

I have gotten my share of verbals as well. After 3 tickets in 3 years, my insurance spanked me enough that I haven't gotten one since. I think the LEO's work with the insurance companies to do what the courts aren't. Changing behavior :)

Also, if you weren't carrying, you wouldn't have needed your DL. I don't believe it's against the law to operate your vehicle without it in Ohio. I've given my social and nothing was said anyway.

#25 ·
I think after a few years on the job of dealing with the human carnage from high speed wrecks tends to encourage them to apply the law to the "fullest extent", I am sure it would have that effect on me.
I run 100 miles of interstate every work day and have never even been looked at for up to 3-5 mph over which in TN would be 75 mph max in most areas so they do give to a reasonable degree. Truth is we deserve the ticket, the Troopers are just trying to bring everyone home alive. And I will admit sometimes I am not smart enough to understand the danger and as much as I would hate the ticket better that than smearing innocent people all over the road.

#26 ·
FWIW the Virginia State Police don't get a cut of the fines they generate. All that money goes into the "Literary Fund" which as I understand it gives books to libraries, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.