Good Leo incident - sort of....

This is a discussion on Good Leo incident - sort of.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jofrdo How do you misplace your DL, but not your CCW permit? Mine are both in the wallet, the wallet is in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Leo incident - sort of....

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    How do you misplace your DL, but not your CCW permit? Mine are both in the wallet, the wallet is in my pants. Nothing is misplaced.
    Devils advocate if I may (only because I've done this) when writing a check you have to show DL and on more then one occasion I've shoved the DL into my checkbook instead of putting it back in my wallet and then not been able to find it right away next time
    CPL on the other hand never leaves wallet
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    $110.00! You weren't speeding, you were flying too low.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    ...They can make criminal arrests, and I can write traffic citations, but our primary functions are different.
    And glad to have you both on duty - thanks!

DM2
    [QUOTE=I simply don't give them a reason to open their door and it seems to be working. My wallet appreciates it as well.
    Funny thing is I don't really care about the cost of the fine as it is a drop in the bucket compared to the 'fine' you'll be served with by your insurance provider. The insurance company is the one I fear.[/QUOTE]

+1

I had to drive to OH for work on yesterday and as soon as I crossed the state line, I reset the cruise to 65 which is 5 mph below the limit in MI. For me speeding tickets and gambling go in the same bucket. Its giving money away. Insurance is a close third. You give more $$ away to them but at least there is a benefit in the event that you should need it. With tickets and gambling, it just $$ down the drain, and in the case of tickets, you have the added costs to the insurance company.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

$110 isn't much at all. 10 years ago I received a ticket for 75 in a 65, iirc. Also, most OHP won't bother to open their door unless you are at least 5 over.

I have gotten my share of verbals as well. After 3 tickets in 3 years, my insurance spanked me enough that I haven't gotten one since. I think the LEO's work with the insurance companies to do what the courts aren't. Changing behavior :)

Also, if you weren't carrying, you wouldn't have needed your DL. I don't believe it's against the law to operate your vehicle without it in Ohio. I've given my social and nothing was said anyway.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    With Virginia State Troopers I have heard they have an open door policy...If they have to open their door your getting a ticket that is the policy. I simply don't give them a reason to open their door and it seems to be working. My wallet appreciates it as well.
    Funny thing is I don't really care about the cost of the fine as it is a drop in the bucket compared to the 'fine' you'll be served with by your insurance provider. The insurance company is the one I fear.
    I heard that! The ticket is a one time thing. I have to pay insurance every month.

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    What is it with state troopers? They seem to be that way from state to state, giving out tickets instead of verbals.
    I dunno about ohio, but down here anthony could have also gotten ticketed, if not worse, for driving without a license, so I think he made out pretty good. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    The primary function of State Highway Patrols, and in many jurisdictions State Police (they are not exactly the same), is to enforce traffic laws. The reason they write more tickets than municipal and county cops is because that is their primary duty. I'm not saying that troopers never give warnings, they do, but seeing as their primary job is to write tickets, they give less.

I'm a municipal cop. My primary job is to place criminal charges, getting a warning from me on a criminal charge is much like getting a warning on a traffic charge from a trooper. It happens, but not really that often.

If I wanted to spend all day working wrecks and writing tickets I would have gone to work for the Highway Patrol, if guys that went to work for the SHP wanted to take reports on criminal offenses and make criminal arrests all day, they would have gone to work for municipal police departments.

They can make criminal arrests, and I can write traffic citations, but our primary functions are different.
    Plus one to landric's post.
    Contrary to popular belief, I do not know of an agency in the county I work in that has a quota. What the supervisors do want is productivity. If you are a Highway patrol officer, work a ten hour shift and only stop one car and issue one ticket your supervisors may ask what you did all shift.
    The California Highway Patrol (CHP's) Primary duty is to do traffic enforcement, respond to accidents and apprehend DUI drivers. Most municipal motor cops are traffic officers as well. Their primary duty is traffic enforcement ,responding to traffic accidents and apprehending DUI drivers. The above mention individuals, often deal with fatal and major injury accidents on a regular basis. Seeing this stuff day in and day out tends to harden you and gives you less sympathy to the driver who was breaking the law.
    You are getting a ticket because you are BREAKING THE LAW not because of a quota.

as the well-used saying goes, "Quota? No Ma'am, We don't have quotas. We can write as many tickets as we want."
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it is called, Present.

I think after a few years on the job of dealing with the human carnage from high speed wrecks tends to encourage them to apply the law to the "fullest extent", I am sure it would have that effect on me.
    I run 100 miles of interstate every work day and have never even been looked at for up to 3-5 mph over which in TN would be 75 mph max in most areas so they do give to a reasonable degree. Truth is we deserve the ticket, the Troopers are just trying to bring everyone home alive. And I will admit sometimes I am not smart enough to understand the danger and as much as I would hate the ticket better that than smearing innocent people all over the road.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    FWIW the Virginia State Police don't get a cut of the fines they generate. All that money goes into the "Literary Fund" which as I understand it gives books to libraries, etc.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links