Good Leo incident - sort of....

This is a discussion on Good Leo incident - sort of.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was speeding earlier this week and pulled over by Ohio state patrol. Unfortunately I had misplaced my drivers license and had only my ccw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Leo incident - sort of....

Good Leo incident - sort of....

I was speeding earlier this week and pulled over by Ohio state patrol.

Unfortunately I had misplaced my drivers license and had only my ccw permit for ID.

He asked if I had a valid D without a comment or question on the ccw or any weapons.

7 minutes later I was on my way with a deserved $110 speeding ticket.

2. Remove Ads

What is it with state troopers? They seem to be that way from state to state, giving out tickets instead of verbals.

Sounds like a sensible cop.

Only $110? You must have been going 3 mph over...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    What is it with state troopers? They seem to be that way from state to state, giving out tickets instead of verbals.
    With all respect, that is their job and the Ohio State Patrol is known for being tough about enforcement. Actually, per Ohio's Concealed Carry Law you must have at least one additional governmental ID as well as your CCW. So, I'd say he got a break.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Was the op speeding? Is speeding against the law? Seems pretty simple to me.

By the way, I've received more than my fair share.

With Virginia State Troopers I have heard they have an open door policy...If they have to open their door your getting a ticket that is the policy. I simply don't give them a reason to open their door and it seems to be working. My wallet appreciates it as well.
    Funny thing is I don't really care about the cost of the fine as it is a drop in the bucket compared to the 'fine' you'll be served with by your insurance provider. The insurance company is the one I fear.

How do you misplace your DL, but not your CCW permit? Mine are both in the wallet, the wallet is in my pants. Nothing is misplaced. The OP was stopped for speeding and couldn't produce a valid DL. He's lucky he only got what he got.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I'm not a trooper but I suspect they have been informed by their superiors to write citations for the money considering the state of the country, their budgets etc.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    All municipalities are hurting for revenue. Budget shortfalls have reached record levels. Follow the money!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The primary function of State Highway Patrols, and in many jurisdictions State Police (they are not exactly the same), is to enforce traffic laws. The reason they write more tickets than municipal and county cops is because that is their primary duty. I'm not saying that troopers never give warnings, they do, but seeing as their primary job is to write tickets, they give less.

I'm a municipal cop. My primary job is to place criminal charges, getting a warning from me on a criminal charge is much like getting a warning on a traffic charge from a trooper. It happens, but not really that often.

If I wanted to spend all day working wrecks and writing tickets I would have gone to work for the Highway Patrol, if guys that went to work for the SHP wanted to take reports on criminal offenses and make criminal arrests all day, they would have gone to work for municipal police departments.

They can make criminal arrests, and I can write traffic citations, but our primary functions are different.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like a sensible cop.

Only $110? You must have been going 3 mph over...
    My wife's ticket averaged out to $14.00 for each mile per hour over the speed limit. $140.00 for 10 over... but she was actually going faster than that! Nice copper gave her a break.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Tx troopers main function is traffic enforcement.... 99/100 are getting tickets....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Where in any state law does it say that the penalty for any moving violation is a "verbal"?

The penalties are monetary fines, not words.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Whats with someone thinking they shouldn't get a ticket when they are breaking traffic laws?
    The HP/SP have a job to do. If your not paying attention, or think they aren't going to catch you intentionally breaking the law, why should that have any reason to "cut you slack"? I've gotten tickets before. I didn't like getting them, but I deserved them. If they decide to give you a break that's fine. If they decide not to, then that is their decision.

VIP Member
    Based on your description, it does sound like the LEO cut you some slack. In some parts, you can be big trouble without the proper I.D.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links