Reason for Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Reason for Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to admit that curiosity is getting the best of me. What was the most compelling reason that led you to obtain a concealed ...

View Poll Results: Most compelling reason for obtaining concealed carry permit.

Voters
342. You may not vote on this poll
  • Exercising Right to Bear Arms

182 53.22%
  • Live in High Crime Area

7 2.05%
  • Live Near High Crime Area

23 6.73%
  • Work Related Dangers

19 5.56%
  • Victim of Crime

16 4.68%
  • Other: Please Explain

95 27.78%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason for Concealed Carry

Reason for Concealed Carry

I have to admit that curiosity is getting the best of me. What was the most compelling reason that led you to obtain a concealed carry permit?

2. Remove Ads

It's the state of the union mess.

A death threat, then VT sealed the deal.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I love my wife and daughter.

Yes, of COURSE that's a trite answer, EVERYONE loves their wife and daughter. Duh - I think everyone should carry, too!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I don't want the bully to take my lunch money or my girlfriend.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

RKBA is the 'umbrella' reason I carry...BG's everywhere in society and crime reports make SD important to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Are you taking our CC confessions today?

I should start by saying that I didn't grow up around guns and lived my life just fine without ever firing one until I reached my early to forties. So there I was, living my sheepish existance. Gradually, I became aware that I was getting older, slower and feeling more vulnerable when out and about. The feeling was strongest at bank ATMs, leaving restaurants with my wife in the dark, and walking through parking garages. I was not personally the victim of any crime or threats. The rise of Jihadist violence around the world and the 9/11/2001 attacks here in the USA also weighed into my decision. As a Jew, I felt like a potential terrorist target, especially when attending synagogue or other Jewish community functions. So I got my permit and started carrying when these feelings got strong enough that I could no longer ignore them.

A couple of months after starting to carry, our adult daughter and a group of her friends were robbed at gunpoint in an outdoor picnic area inside an apartment complex. Her bad experience cemented my resolve to carry whenever legal to do so and also convinced my wife that it was the right thing for me to do.

Miklcolt45 said ".....VT sealed the deal"

That was it for me too.

I voted other. I have varied reasons for concealed carry. Mostly it's my Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. However, personal safety would be the most valid reason. I have the right to self protection from anyone who may want to injure or kill me, a loved one or anyone for that matter.

I don't live in a high crime area, but crime is creeping in, mostly home invasion. Walking around my area is resonably safe, but like some one here says, crime can happen "anytime, anywhere, any place". I have yet to be a victim of crime, but why wouldn't I want to be prepared in case of it? That is the reason why I want the permit to carry a concealed weapon, because you never know when it will happen.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Carrying is not a political act for me. I'm not doing it to make a "statement". I don't carry as a result of a specific criminal act, although I've been an intended target before. I don't live or work in a high crime area, or engage in inherently hazardous activities. The odds are great that I'll never again have to draw a weapon to defend myself or anyone else.

It's just a matter of common sense. I can't control when or where an act of violence may be directed against me or my loved ones. It's a logical act to take prudent measures of self-protection. In the grand scheme of things, it costs me very little to be prepared, but the cost of failing to be so is incredibly high.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Diversity and multiculturalism.

you never know when or where a BG will be. i don't worry to much about my house because i have 7 dogs and 3 of them will bite you. you just have to figure out which 3 are the mean ones.

also the more people that are willing to exercise their right to carry and defend themselves the harder it will be for the goverment to take our right away. i never really had an interest in carrying before this new goverment took over but now i feel i need to exercise my right and do my part to help keep our rights. i hope i'm worrying over something that will never become an issue. i never grew up with guns in our house but we're going to take some courses and teach my kids about guns and that guns aren't the problem, bad people are.

I don't really need to carry now and don't. The only reason for the CCW, is that it takes over 90 days to get one. If I need to carry for some reason, I probably can't wait out the 90 days.

Reasons I'd start carry? If crime picked up near where I work; if there was a stalker situation or another drug dealer moved in down the street or next door (neighboorhood is relatively good atm).

Carry isn't very practical for me as I can't carry at work or anywhere my wife and I would go except a shopping mall. We avoid the shopping malls where guns are called for.

(Yes, anything can happen anywhere. Its all a trade-off risk/reward decision people must make for themselves).

In my professional life I have to deal with the best and worse society has to offer. Sometimes those who lead themselves toward the worse of society don't remember much of the time they spent with me. They do remember my face, and they remember some how I was involved in the night they get arrested. Then they see me in the street and think i'm one of the cops that got them in trouble. (The drugs and illegal behavior didn't have anything to do with it of course.)

I have to see the random violence.

I have to serve restraining orders to people who think it's ok to beat their wives.

And I have come to realize that law enforcement and goverment officals won't be there when I need them. On average where I live it takes the 911 Center 3 mins to get a call in and get the police units rolling to the location of the emergency. Thats a lot of time to have to deal with a bad apple. In fact it's 2 min and 59 seconds to long.

Thats why I carry concealed.

VIP Member
    Other: Too old to fist fight and no longer feeling invincible.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links