Haunts me - Page 2

Haunts me

This is a discussion on Haunts me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many non gun type people just don't get it . Never will. oldogy...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Haunts me

Many non gun type people just don't get it. Never will.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    Hey my wifey thinks only cops should have guns. This morning she told me to choose between her and the gun.
    She's got problems that she mistakenly believes will be resolved via removal of your family's ability to defend itself. You've both got a problem, if she's willing to blackmail your family's future safety for this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

1. I wouldn't worry about it. Your friend is probably comfortable with you and said the first thing that came to his mind.

I was in Filipino martial arts with a friend who was from Chicago. We were training partners and grappled, stick fought, We'd train with knives, double knives- anything you could think of using. One day I pulled my IWB holster off & put my holstered gun into my duffel bag. He was freaked out! It's like I had a suitcase nuke or something. He was raised believing that the only people who have a gun are police.

When we went to lunch together, he asked me to unload it. I laughed and ask "why?" He said that he didn't want it going off in his car... (wow)

Eventually he got used to the idea, but believed me to be some red neck gun militia nut.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Eventually he got used to the idea, but believed me to be some red neck gun militia nut.
    Like that's a bad thing?

J/K bro!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    1. I wouldn't worry about it. Your friend is probably comfortable with you and said the first thing that came to his mind.

I was in Filipino martial arts with a friend who was from Chicago. . . He was raised believing that the only people who have a gun are police.

The key there is he was from Chicago, the people there are brainwashed.

Original point, as said your friend was just comfortable enough with you that he said the first thing that came to his mind. Don't give it another thought.

I got my first CCW in 1992 when I was a PI in Maryland (one of the few ways to get a CCW in The PRofMd). When I moved to Virginia in '94 to go to graduate and law school, I obtained my Virginia CCW. My roommates and a few very close friends knew that I carried everywhere.

One moment stands out in my memory. A group of friends and I went out to a movie theater in a part of Chesapeake, Va, that was known for the occasional robbery. As we were standing in line, one of my friends accidentally bumped into my side and felt the Glock 23 under my jacket. The friend just looked at me and said, "I'm glad you have that thing on tonight."

Once, a friend asked if having the gun made me feel safer. I told him that I couldn't deny feeling a bit safer with it, but that I also felt an increased responsibility in how I behaved as well. I said that I never went to places with a gun that I normally wouldn't go without one (other than for PI work-related stuff), and I wasn't beguiled with the misconception that I was invincible because I was armed. I think he understood.

Rob

Why not call him and tell him how you feel about his comment. Seems like two friends could talk it out and you can move past this. If he gets uppity then agree to disagree and never bring it up again.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    say the darndest things
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Thank you all for your input, one reason I brought it up. This subject isnt keeping me up late nights by any means... It just kinda sticks out in my mind everytime I holster my gun. It kinda made me wonder why I carry, and how I feel about it. Do I feel 10 feet tall? no, im only 5'9".

I know he didnt mean anything by it, we still talk and are good friends. I have known him for years. I think I was more shocked by the fact he DIDNT know I was armed. Its just one of those memories that like to stick out in your mind that has no revilance what so ever. I know he dont care that I carry. At least not to my face, he might care, but will never say anything. Its just one of those memories like a bad nightmare that you will never forget.

You know, THIS is why I love this site. I was actually expecting maybe 10 replies to this thread. I posted this thread I think around 10 today and I already have 3 pages of replies. I didnt post it for the replies but its good to know that there is a support system in place that I can rely on to share my thoughts and feelings about my passion. We may dissagree from time to time and agree on most other things, but THIS, right here, is why I still check this site EVERYDAY!!

Thank you.
    Avenger

Yea, i wouldnt worry about it. I dont carry because it makes me feel 10 feet tall. I carry because i DONT FEEL like being a victim.

My thought was maybe he was just saying that you feel confident in your ability to defend yourself. Like if he found out you were a third degree black belt in some form of martial arts. Hopefully, he didn't mean it in a derogatory way? We have to educate our friends, and encourage them to join us.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I had a similar conversation with my younger brother... he said something about "not having to take any crap from anyone..."

I said, "It's just the opposite. When you carry a gun, you have to take MORE crap from people. Someone flips you off in traffic, you let it go... someone swipes your parking place, you find another... someone cuts in line in front of you, you let it pass. The last thing you want to do is confront someone."

He looked a little puzzled... I said, "Ever start a fight with someone you shouldn't have...? Got yer ass kicked because you were dumb and shooting your mouth off...?" He nodded...

"The LAST thing you want to do is provoke a fight with an unarmed person when you are armed... the cops will look poorly on that. And the REALLY LAST thing you want to do is pick a fight with someone who might be armed and might be able to out-shoot you..."

"I hope I never have to pull it... so if someone cuts me off in traffic, I keep my cool, and let it go..."

Being a concealed carrier has brought out a little Zen in me...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    I had a similar conversation with my younger brother... he said something about "not having to take any crap from anyone..."

I said, "It's just the opposite. When you carry a gun, you have to take MORE crap from people. Someone flips you off in traffic, you let it go... someone swipes your parking place, you find another... someone cuts in line in front of you, you let it pass. The last thing you want to do is confront someone."

He looked a little puzzled... I said, "Ever start a fight with someone you shouldn't have...? Got yer ass kicked because you were dumb and shooting your mouth off...?" He nodded...

"The LAST thing you want to do is provoke a fight with an unarmed person when you are armed... the cops will look poorly on that. And the REALLY LAST thing you want to do is pick a fight with someone who might be armed and might be able to out-shoot you..."

"I hope I never have to pull it... so if someone cuts me off in traffic, I keep my cool, and let it go..."

You sir, are a responsible CCWer. Because there's no doubt that there are people out there who now have an inflated opinion of themselves and think they are bad ass now that they have a permit to carry a weapon.

Distinguished Member

Yep, that's it in a nut shell.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

"Ever start a fight with someone you shouldn't have...? Got yer ass kicked because you were dumb and shooting your mouth off...?"

I love this! I laughed out loud at these comments. I think that some instructor should incorporate these tidbits into their training curriculum. Can I give them to my coach?

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links