Taking a friend to a gun show who does not know you carry

This is a discussion on Taking a friend to a gun show who does not know you carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will probably get a lot of flack for this, but if there are no metal detectors at the gun show just carry in there. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking a friend to a gun show who does not know you carry

I will probably get a lot of flack for this, but if there are no metal detectors at the gun show just carry in there. You are not going to be taking it out. Concealed is concealed. If she is looking for a gun for protection why not steer her in the direction of getting a permit.
    The gun at home is usless when she is out and about. Plus a permit is going to make her legal if she starts carrying the gun.

Semper Fi

P.S. Letting her know you carry won't hurt you.

2. Remove Ads

I'll chime in on gun choice. I have a nerve disease that makes vibration very painful. Recoil is NO FUN. When I went to choose a carry gun, it had to be a revolver, because my weak hand is so weak, I can't rack a slide due to the disease.

My older gun I have had for years is a 357 4" SW model 66. But, I rarely shot 357 in it. That was to big for a carry gun, so when I got my permit, I went shopping. I looked at Airweights and some other types of 38s. Finally, we found that the SW 649-357 was perfect... I got the stainless model. It has a little button instead of the full hammer... sorry, don't know the technical term for that type of hammer. I had a lot less recoil with the 357 stainless gun using the 38's. I had it fitted with Crimson Trace sites. I took some private instruction from a great woman instructor, who helped me a lot. I can't lift a gun up to a standard stance - again due to the nerve damage in my shoulders - so had to learn a new way to shoot that would work well for concealed. She has me using "Federal Premium Low Recoil 38 Special 110 Grain Hydra Shock JHP" as a carry ammo.

Yeah, I know, only 5 shots. But, even though I can't rack a slide, and I can't do the standard shooting stance -- I was still the best shot in my CCW class.

Match that 649 up with the nice HBE holster Eric made for me, and it's a pretty nice set up. It also slips well into my purse when needed, with a Desantis pocket holster, that slips right into one of the pockets of my purse, which keeps it upright and secure.

I would vote for taking her to a good store that has a nice range with rental guns. That is what I did. They let me shoot one or two shots through a lot of guns... on most, I didn't want to shoot more than one shot.

I still do most of my practice with my model 66, cause it's less painful on my hands than the 649... but she should not have the same problem I do with that.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    If she is in an 'interesting' situation then she likely has more of a use for a weapon on her person than you do. Why don't you sit down and discuss the topic of concealed carry with her? What is worse -- you being 'outed' or her potentially needing a weapon and not having one within reach? Sometimes there is a fork in the road of concealed carry. Just tell her already and help her get a CHL.

Is there such a thing as a temporary CHL granted by the court for instant legal carry? None of us know her situation.

If she decides to take responsibility for her own protection, I don't see how she could go wrong with a hammerless J frame with a crimson trace grip. The laser will help her learn to shoot. I want one for myself.

If you tell her, then it won't be awkward to unload at the gun show. If it's at the Expo Center, there will be police officers who ask if you have a loaded firearm, but you probably already knew that. BTW, the Public Safety Training Center shooting range in Clackamas has a ladies night on Fridays. They have some gun rentals and many classes.

Your question is like trying to make a federal case out of a JP court case. Logical choices:
    1. Leave gun home; or

2. You forgot something, so go back to car and lock it up in car [I am assuming that being unarmed for that distance while walking among many gun show attendants should present no problem.]

See how simple that is.

First off, snub .38 for the lady.

Secondly, Why do you feel the need to keep it a secret that you carry? I could care less who knows I carry. If they don't like it, too bad. Your boss can't fire you just because he doesn't like you having a gun in your personal life.

Grady has mentioned that he told some people and he may no longer be invited to the persons home. To me, that is no problem. I know where they stand and if the wife gets her way, I also know who wears the pants. Personally, I won't associate with liberals at all. And yes, that includes family.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    What is worse -- you being 'outed' or her potentially needing a weapon and not having one within reach?
    Good point.

Sometimes there is a fork in the road of concealed carry.
    True dat. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I will probably get a lot of flack for this, but if there are no metal detectors at the gun show just carry in there.
    -- Begin FLACK!
    Maybe in CO or TN, but that wouldn't work here.
    -- Continue FLACK
    Technically (IANAL) there is no way to designate a FL gun show as a no carry zone unless you move it to a place where guns aren't allowed, but we have uniformed LEOs asking everyone 'Do you have any guns or ammunition?' at the entrance, and lying to an officer is illegal, so there is no way to carry a loaded weapon into the show without breaking the law.
    -- End FLACK

Notice they do not ask about knives or other weapons, which FL concealed carry licenses permit, so -- just a shorter max range.

I feel pretty safe at shows; most of the people are CWLees and we have LEOs openly armed plus FDLE/BATFE carrying concealed.

If ever necessary, they should buy me enough time and diversion to get outside and load up.

Put your carry gun in a case and keep your ammo separate in your pocket.
    Tell her you brought a gun to trade, have appraised, looking to fit a holster, etc. You will have your gun with you and your ammo too. Think Trojan Horse. Only you know you are not going to sell, trade, etc. At the end of the day answer truthfully that nothing caught your eye.

Why bother to go through the trouble of removing your gun! You have a legal right to carry via permit!

Just give her the help she needs...and stay out of the situation with her soon-to-be husband and you'll be golden.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Why bother to go through the trouble of removing your gun! You have a legal right to carry via permit!
    He would almost certainly have to lie to a police officer to get in the door with a loaded firearm. Bad idea. He becomes an unwanted trespasser on private property when he informs the police that he is carrying a loaded firearm. They might ask him if he has ammunition, too. I suppose he could bluff with sign language or gibberish and keep on walking but...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you really want her to know what SD is all about, it's time to share your 'secret'...you are already going to a gun show for her to buy a gun. She might as well start learning about SD, concealed weapons, and how to get her own license. OMO
    Agreed. If you are going to initiate someone in to the ranks, you have to share sooner or later. She might already even have guessed just from your conversations about getting her one.

Of course, I tend not to consider it a dirty secret. Most of my friends know (or at least knew, they might not even remember by now). I don't advertise, but I don't go to great lengths to keep it a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    A friend of mine is in a very "interesting" situation with her soon to be ex-husband. ...

Suggestions.
    I wouldn't recommend ANYTHING to the lady until the "very interesting situation" is cleared up and the divorce is final. You could well be placing yourself in the middle of this situation, to your detriment.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

He would almost certainly have to lie to a police officer to get in the door with a loaded firearm. Bad idea. He becomes an unwanted trespasser on private property when he informs the police that he is carrying a loaded firearm. They might ask him if he has ammunition, too. I suppose he could bluff with sign language or gibberish and keep on walking but...
    I am not condoning doing something that would questionable. If concealed carry is permissable, then do it!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Put your carry gun in a case and keep your ammo separate in your pocket.
    Tell her you brought a gun to trade, have appraised, looking to fit a holster, etc. You will have your gun with you and your ammo too. Think Trojan Horse. Only you know you are not going to sell, trade, etc. At the end of the day answer truthfully that nothing caught your eye.
    This is a brilliant idea!

Thanks, TedBeau. jh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links