CCW renewal, very quick

This is a discussion on CCW renewal, very quick within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was told by all that should know that my CCW renewal would take 60 to 90 days to process. About 75 days befor the ...

Thread: CCW renewal, very quick

CCW renewal, very quick

I was told by all that should know that my CCW renewal would take 60 to 90 days to process. About 75 days befor the expiration date, I submitted my renewal form with a passport quality picture and was fingerprinted. On Saturday I received in my mail my notification that the renewal was processed and approved and that I could pick up the renewed permit any weekday between 8 and 5. It took 3 weeks and 2 days! That was way faster than I had expected. By the way I am located in Michigan.
    We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now able to do anything with nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Excellent! My experience earlier this year for my renewal was about the same. 4 weeks turnaround time which is very good for here. I was actually surprised myself.

Renewal?

Renewal? Hmmmmmmm........

Do many states have renewals for CCW? I live in NY State and once you get it - (which outside of NY City isn't as hard as made out) - it's good for life - most counties anyway. No expiration. (unless you screw it up with serious illegalities).

Wasn't aware of renewals other places.

Arkansas permits are valid for up to five years from issue date total. I renewed mine early enough, that my new renewal was issued a couple months in advance of my previous permit expiration which actually made my current permit good for 5yr 2mo at the time. Renewals...yes....you think a state issuing authority would give up regenerating funds?
    Just out of curiosity, how much does your lifetime permit cost?

Just out of curiosity, how much does your lifetime permit cost?
    You know, I don't remember exactly what the original application fee was three years ago when I got mine. I think $60, though $100 also rings a bell. Wasn't more than $100. The fingerprinting was $10, when you have a new gun put on permit its $3. This is in my county, Erie. Most counties would likely be similar. Then NYC would be a fortune, and a waste anyway. Close to impossible there.

(Surprised these haven't gone up like every other fee we have statewide. Maybe it has for new applicants but I didn't read that anywhere. No doubt they'll get around to it.)

Gunzilla has changed my life and my firearms for the better! Gunzilla
    (yes, I'm a fan too. Great stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    You know, I don't remember exactly what the original application fee was three years ago when I got mine. I think $60, though $100 also rings a bell. Wasn't more than $100. The fingerprinting was $10, when you have a new gun put on permit its $3. This is in my county, Erie. Most counties would likely be similar. Then NYC would be a fortune, and a waste anyway. Close to impossible there.

(Surprised these haven't gone up like every other fee we have statewide. Maybe it has for new applicants but I didn't read that anywhere. No doubt they'll get around to it.)

(yes, I'm a fan too. Great stuff)
    Interesting. Less than an initial application here. We don't have to list our guns or serial numbers or anything for our permits. Qualify with a semi-auto and you can carry anything. Makes me wonder where the actual trade-off is even though cost would seem to be a major issue these days. Thanks for the reply, and I didn't intend to turn this thread into a chat thread. It's just very interesting and informative for those to come out and Q/A how things are in other parts of the country, and very informative as well.

It's just very interesting and informative for those to come out and Q/A how things are in other parts of the country, and very informative as well.
    Yes it is; I think we all build up myths about certain areas. Sharing info like this helps to get a realistic view of the bigger picture.

In NY, you do have to list each gun and serial number on the permit - so you've permission to carry only those handguns, but not a blanket permission for any gun. That's an interesting difference I never knew existed until now. Thanks.

Now what you likely don't have in Arkansas is a 9 mos wait for your permit, (that was my waiting period and pretty standard), nor likely as many steps as we do in the application process: there's the application, a three-hour class (kind of stupid since you can't handle a gun in NY State without a permit so it's all lecture and a multiple choice test); then fingerprinting, and 4 witness to your character that must live in or near your county, relatives not allowed. Six months later after generating all this stuff I'd heard nothing and thought they'd lost it all. Right about then my witnesses began getting calls from the Detective of the City Police who was my chief investigator. Asked questions about how they knew me, how long, was I considered reliable etc. Then one night he called me for an interview. Very friendly and helpful, with easy to answer questions about my past (psychiatric/addiction problems if any, the reason I was applying etc). If you want an unrestricted carry - as I did -the next step is an appointment in person with a State Supreme Court Justice or his Pistol Permit officer. For reasons too complicated to get into here, when Permit Officer called to set up an appt we really had the interview then. He suggested my specifics fit only Business Carry at this time, and he would agree to that. He was friendly and helpful. I had to amend the application to Business Carry request he said, just that page of the application, but he offered to come down to Pistol P. Office (his office was in same building) so he could pick it up from me, approve it and give it to the Judge for his signature - so I could get it quick. A week later I got the permit. They are signed by a State Supreme Court Justice. All that took nine months.

After a year, I could apply for Unrestricted. I did. Had no interview. Just a letter granting the Unrestricted Permit and instructions to come down to Permit Office to change status on the permit. $3

So, that's our procedure. Far as buying a gun, much paperwork at the store, an FBI check on you and the gun. As I remember then you pay for it, payment held contingent on getting the OK from the Permit Office. You take the paperwork to Pistol Permit Office. Gun stays in the store. Permit folks amend your license with gun and serial # and give you a "coupon" to take back to the store to release the handgun to your possession. You go and do that, present the coupon, and have your gun.

So, a lot of hoops. A pain but just once in your life for the permit -- and everyone I dealt with in application process, cops, officials, seemed sincerely to want me to be granted something in in the ballpark of what I applied for; they were all very nice and supportive and steered me into using the right language on the forms etc. I felt they were definitely on my side.

Links