Anything I should know while carrying in Colorado?

This is a discussion on Anything I should know while carrying in Colorado? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning a trip to CO next month and I'm just curious from the members here that live in or around CO if there is ...

Thread: Anything I should know while carrying in Colorado?

Anything I should know while carrying in Colorado?

I'm planning a trip to CO next month and I'm just curious from the members here that live in or around CO if there is anything I should know as far as posessing a gun during my stay? My stay will be mostly in the San Juan Mts area (Silverton, Durango, and Pagossa Springs), I'll eventually end in Denver. I have recoprocity with my homestate LTCF (PA) and I have my UT permit for NM and I plan on keeping both of my guns concealed the whole time. I'll be driving from PA to CO. For all I know there could be a mean sherriff in Durango that doesn't like guns in his town, lol. Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners - Home
    Here is the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners website where you can find the answers to many of your questions. We are a reasonably gun friendly state with the exception of a couple of places on the front range. The San Juans are beautiful and I've been carrying there for many years. Here's wishing you a pleasant stay in Colorado.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    If you CC the entire time, you should be fine. If you visit Denver, OC is illegal there...so don't OC!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

The biggest thing to remember in CO is if it's a building owned by a government entity, you probably can't go there while CC. Other than that, as previously stated. OC is a no go in Denver and parks in the other cities around the metro area.

One of the best laws in Colo is that anyone, resident or non-resident, who can legally posses a hand gun, may have a loaded hand gun in their car, whether or not they have a CCW.

In addition to Denver banning OC, the ski tows in Summit county also prohibit OC.

You may also carry (& even imbibe, so long as you are not intoxicated) in bars & restaurants which serve alcohol. Other places you may carry w/o fear are banks, hospitals & all colleges & universities, public or private.

Signs on retail establishments prohibiting the carry of guns are meaningless BUT, if you are discovered carrying, the management may ask you to leave. If you do not leave, you are then subject to trespass.

In short, you can CC anywhere except:
    • Federal facilities AND their parking lots
    • Colo State Buildings e.g. the Colo State house, a courthouse or any Colo State facility where metal detectors are in use at every entrance
    • Any public school k-12 or any public school function conducted outside school property e.g. a school prom held at a public catering hall, a HS athletic event held not held on school property. This does not include school functions like field trips to the Denver Zoo, where the general public may also be at the same time as the field trip.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    One of the best laws in Colo is that anyone, resident or non-resident, who can legally posses a hand gun, may have a loaded hand gun in their car, whether or not they have a CCW.

In addition to Denver banning OC, the ski tows in Summit county also prohibit OC.

You may also carry (& even imbibe, so long as you are not intoxicated) in bars & restaurants which serve alcohol. Other places you may carry w/o fear are banks, hospitals & all colleges & universities, public or private.

Signs on retail establishments prohibiting the carry of guns are meaningless BUT, if you are discovered carrying, the management may ask you to leave. If you do not leave, you are then subject to trespass.

• Colo State Buildings e.g. the Colo State house, a courthouse or any Colo State facility where metal detectors are in use at every entrance
    • Any public school k-12 or any public school function conducted outside school property e.g. a school prom held at a public catering hall, a HS athletic event held not held on school property. This does not include school functions like field trips to the Denver Zoo, where the general public may also be at the same time as the field trip.
    When I first discovered this after moving here, I thought to myself "I love my new state"

I'll say it again, I LOVE this state.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Check the laws of the states you are driving through, of course. Don't want to be guessing at the coffee and bathroom stops. Otherwise, I see no problems. There is no duty to inform in CO so you use your own judgement if you get pulled over. CO has the rare law that you must be a resident of the issuing state that maintains reciprocity so you are fine as a resident of PA with a PA issued permit.

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    . . . is anything I should know as far as posessing a gun during my stay? . . .
    Yeah, keep the bullets in it . . .

Seriously, I visited out there a couple years ago (my folks are right outside Denver) with no problems. Colorado has reciprocity w/ PA (as you indicated you're aware). Up in the mountains you'll probably be OK, I'd bet folks up there are more normal about that kind of thing than elsewhere.

These may help also:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/COSL.pdf

USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community

Have a great trip !!
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Talking

What everyone said. Enjoy your stay. Just remember, You are only allowed to stay here 30 days with your visa. Ooops sorry that is for CA residents.

Semper Fi:

VIP Member
    I was just in CO last week.
    Went to Durango to let the son ride the train.
    I never saw any postings anywhere.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Open carry and conceal carry is legal in National Forests, National Forest Wilderness Areas and BLM lands. Firearms are prohibited in NF Visitors/Welcome Centers and offices.

Conceal carry, with permit, is allowed in Colorado State Parks.

Firearms prohibited within Denver Water Board - Lake Dillon Reservoir Recreation Area (DRRA) boundaries.

Add U.C. Boulder to your list of no-nos. Because of their peculiar status in the state constitution, state laws do not apply to them unless they are specifically worded to restrict the regents' authority. A previous AG has ruled that U.C. Boulder is not subject to CCW permits.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I've yet to see a posting anywhere in Western Colorado.

TY for the replies.

Just like PA!

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I recall a law in MT where it's illegal to have a gun on an excursion train, so that's why I asked
    Last edited by dlclarkii; August 17th, 2009 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I've yet to see a posting anywhere in Western Colorado.
    I've seen two:
    1. Main entrance to Montrose Memorial Hosp.
    2. A clinic of some sort just south of the Montrose Hosp.

...but who cares they can just ask you to leave.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Links